Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Feel A Bit Stupid And Lucky

Wiz201

Had a road trip yesterday of 3 hours each way down to Watford from Huddersfield West Yorkshire to see the Harry Potter studios. Was sensible and took breaks, on the way back we'd been in a pub for dinner and left half sixish. I decided to get up the M1 as far as possible, and the traffic was slower going back with one minor blockage that was clearing, so got up past Leicester before stopping at Donnington services north of Leicester. Didn't feel tired at that point, just needed a bit of fresh air and I took a good drink of my diet pepsi bottle and then got on with the journey.

Got to the motorway exit for Huddersfield and I don't know how, but I misjudged the bend for the exit off the roundabout and gave the left front tyre a good scraping. Thought about stopping to check immediately but there was no immediate blow out and everything still worked fine, so I continued to Huddersfield, dropped off my companions and got home. Fortunately had a look at the tyre, checked the pressure compared with the other three and not a scratch on it! Feel so stupid, but I suppose after being on the motorway for two and a half hours it can have an affect on you.

Things like this happen. At least you took sensible breaks.

We go from Birmingham to the Isle of Skye each May (with an overnight stop each way around Stirling). Jounrney is around 525 miles each way (using the car ferry from Mallaig) and includes part around 300 motorway miles.

A couple of years ago, one group of four staying in one of the other cottages, drove from Devon to Skye in heavy rain/wind for most of the way. Started out at 1am, and arrived a bit after 8pm. So the outward journey took them over 17 hours, and, with eating in the car, they admitted the only breaks they took were literally to swap drivers!!

• Like 1

Gosh. I will admit three hours each way is my limit for doing day time trips. I was fine doing a 4.5 hour trip down to Dorchester last year.

The longest I've driven in one shot was from London to Budleigh Salterton for a demoparty; Left before sun-up, most fun drive I've ever had in my life!

Started off in the dark, hit the A303 as dawn broke but didn't notice as it was shrouded in extremely thick fog - First time my Yaris' fog lights were used!

Completely empty road with lots of turns and elevation changes; Was glorious when I climbed out of the fog and into the bright sunlight! You could see the fog all around below - It was like driving on a cloud :D :yahoo:

Then you're plunged back into the fog until the next rise; Eventually the sun burned it away just in time for the mostly single-carriage way parts.

Traffic started to build up so I got to abuse the torque a bit to overtake lorries and trucks where the road split into a dual carriage for a few moments, but eventually the road got very narrow and twisty, speed dropping to 20mph in places as lorries navigated the tight turns.

Was a lot of fun, but I was bushed at the end - 200 miles covered non-stop in about 4 hours and 2 blocks of fuel used! I spent most of the rest of the day dozing :lol:

Well I knew I was tired still yesterday, played on the computer and watched telly, had to go to bed at 9:30 and was out like a log. Just woke up now feeling fresh as a daisy quarter to seven (I'm an early riser naturally)

The longest trip I did was Reigate to Aviemore around 560 miles, I did this with two stops.

It took ten and a half hours to complete.

The trip was boring until I got on the A9, what a fabulous road :thumbsup:

The most in the Uk I have done is Birmingham to Montrose and back in 1 day. Approx 600 miles. knackered.

I have driven over 600 miles in RSA- but the roads were empty and you can cruise at an illegal 80mph most of the time...

I had a trip from North Cambridgeshire to Sennen in Cornwall last year

Was pleased that I broke the trip with an overnight stop at an hotel in Bridgewater Somerset :)

• Like 1

Raistlin, I'll admit the A9 is fantastic the first time you drive it but after doing numerous commutes on Mondays and Fridays along there a few years back, it became the worst road ever until I reached Aviemore where I turned off. Too many trucks driving at 40mph with few places to overtake safely and only a few short stretches of dual carriageway.

I found driving on a dark motorway with just cats eyes a bit disorientating at first as I couldn't see my steering wheel so all I could do was look ahead at the traffic. it was a relief when I got to the lighted bits as I could get used to it then.

Hopefully the A9 will begin to be upgraded from next year to dual carriageway - though the work is expected to take ten years.

Hopefully the A9 will begin to be upgraded from next year to dual carriageway - though the work is expected to take ten years.

I wonder who will be paying for it ... The english tax payer or the scottish tax payer after they vote for independence???

Maybe it will be a toll road for the english folk lol.

Sorry for being a bit naughty ...... Pete. :-)

If it went down to the Borders, they could install passport control

Blimey you guys! I bet the Red Bull was flowing for some of those journeys!! :lol:

Pity the A9 is so far away from me, sounds like a fun road to drive along :)

I'm always on the lookout for a nice place to drive through :D

I wouldn't say the A9 is a fun road to drive, just very scenic. The road I did like was shortly after Aviemore, taking the road through Carrbridge to Forres instead of going through Grantown on Spey. That was fun and scenic!

If you want fun and scenic there is the A84 from Callander to Killin, the A82 from Crianlarich to south of Fort William, and the A830 (the Road to the Isles) from Fort William to Mallaig.

Gwaaa! Why are all these fun roads Up Norf?! :crybaby:

It is where the scenery is .....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links