Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starter Motor

rambler

As above....

What does the starter motor actually do please........

I assume ,with the power from the Battery, when you turn the key, it just turns the engine over ( cranks the engine ) nothing more ?

Anything else it does ?

Any information gratefully accepted as always.

Yup used just to start the engine.. the flywheel has toothed edges - the ring gear which the starter engages onto to spin it to start the engine.

So..it turns the engine over,nothing more.

Thank you.

The starter motor turns over the engine. creating piston compression & the compression.. accompanied with the prelim glo sticks in each cylinder starts diesel combustion. This starts the engine, a diesel engine doesn't us spark plugs.

Put your hand in front of a cold hair drier.. the compression warms up the air..and this heat & compression ignites the Diesel.

But you will need a good Battery...160 amps is needed to power this engine...over 10 times more than your house uses

cheers///Ian

So when I turn the key to re start a fully warmed up engine after I have turned it off to re fuel for example.

If it cranks a bit slower and continues to crank for 10 seconds , but won't fire up, is the starter motor at fault ?

Bareing in mind I have a brand new one fitted and also a new high amp top of the range Battery as well.

There's been much discussion on this forum about starter motors / batteries and difficult to hot start diesel engines. There was recently a starter motor fitted by a Toyota garage which turned out to be duff and there have been issues about bad electrical connections - particularly the main feed cable where it's connected to the starter motor.

Just realised it was you that had the issue with the replaced motor - sounds like the same problem again so another visit to the dealer sounds in order.

There's been much discussion on this forum about starter motors / batteries and difficult to hot start diesel engines. There was recently a starter motor fitted by a Toyota garage which turned out to be duff and there have been issues about bad electrical connections - particularly the main feed cable where it's connected to the starter motor.

Just realised it was you that had the issue with the replaced motor - sounds like the same problem again so another visit to the dealer sounds in order.

Yes its me again , its going back to the dealer shortly after I complained very strongly.....to their area head of business.

I have asked it is either fixed for good ......or money back !!

Check with them that they're not using some cheap and cheerful reconditioned starter motors - their explanation for motor failure last time was a bit dubious.

......TIME TO TELL THEM TO PUT GERMOLOIDS OINTMENT ON THEIR STARTER MOTORS, Jamie.......

You have repeatedly said they are nice as nine pence in their dealings......I would rather have Adolf Hitler.....and the job done properly ffs.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well......

My Rav has gone back AGAIN as it played up about a two weeks ago now.

So I emailed my local Toyota's head of business AGAIN to complain,and........................

Have been given a 13 reg Aygo for a whole week FOC , until they fix my Rav FOC !

Ive told them it must start from hot in the same way it starts from cold......with no problem,each and every time,easily,quickly. and I wont accept anything less !

Had a phone call from them just before I finished work, they now think its NOT the 2nd starter motor at fault, but a loss of voltage to somewhere between the new Battery and the starter motor upon the hot start scenario.

See what they find.............................

Me thinks there is a lot a head scratching going on there :g: