Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auxiliary Belt Replacement

sceh

Am I missing something or are Toyota seriously telling me I have to remove and ENGINE MOUNT to replace this belt? I admit I can't see another way but imagine the belt goes when you are miles from home? In the old days you carried a spare and a spanner and that was it. Please tell me I am wrong. Anything difficult in doing it?

As an aside, I was changing a headlight and of course had to remove the bumper. Guess how many mounts it has got? Too many. I think Toyota needs to get its design people in shape...two would do but it has 8.

Anyway, the belt

Not uncommon. Transverse engines often have the mounts on the ends of the engine, so the belt has to navigate them.

Modern multi-groove belts last a long time and provided they are checked at service time you can see when they are starting to degrade. (I had one (on a Nissan) that wasn't spotted at service and about 2 days later the power steering made it slip (squeal) when parking. Blasted the dealer and got it changed before it failed.)

Done it on son's 1.0 . Yes you have to jack up under engine and remove engine mount.

Not difficult. You will need a socket set.. (Make sure you buy the correct replacement belt - yes it sounds obvious but easy to get thee wrong one - especially if buying from eBay or non Toyota.)

• 4 weeks later...

I read this thread and was a bit reluctant to start on my Daughters car, it has a terminal whine from one of the ancilliaries but these things cannot be put off for too long so I dived in.

Its a 2001 1.0 GS VVti and I was pleased to discover you can get the belt off from the top without dropping an engine mount, maybe this is because its a poverty spec model with no power steering or aircon.

Picking the right ratchet to get at the bottom bolt was key though, I have a 3/8 ratchet for doing spark plugs and it has a flexi joint in the head which gives enough flexibility to get a 14mm socket on the bottom bolt with a fine enough ratchet to get a couple of clicks per wiggle.

So with the right tools and the right spec it would be a roadside repair, jiggered if I would want to do it on the hard shoulder though.

I'll be pulling the alternator once my daughter has the cash to buy a replacement, that looks like a different job entirely, axle stands at the ready.

The jacking up and removal of engine mount is to enable the belt to be removed from the power steering pulley. No power steering = no need to jack up.

(Hence the comment about ensuring you get the correct belt!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links