Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 2006 Rav4 Bad Starting

the fox

Really need some help, a 2.2 XT3 with 56,000 miles one fussy owner had a major service july 2013, the chap who owns it has just changed jobs just after the new year, he now drives 1.5 miles gets his newspaper from the shop and he then has to turn his engine over for ten second before it starts.

I thought it was him but he has spent hundreds at Mr T's it's "been one the machine, we fitted 4 new glow plugs and a air filter sensor", It still won't start unless it turns over for roughly ten seconds, I went with him yesterday and today and believe me turning the engine over for ten seconds is a long time, it started eventually I could spell unburnt fuel from the exhaust and it kicked out a lot a grey smoke.

It runs perfectly no loss of power it goes up motorway inclines in sixth shows 48mpg on computer, just perfect except it won't strat outside the shop any ideas ANY

Tell him to drive to the next town/village to get his paper ............................

So it starts OK from cold but not when hot? Theres been many debates of late on this subject and in the first instance, it may be sensible to measure cranking speed, starter motor current draw and corresponding Battery voltage with the engine cold then hot.

Similar symptoms with my 2006 diesel xt4,needed new Battery and starter motor,if the Battery dies slowly it ruins the starter as well.Is it cranking fast enough,perhaps try jump starting.

Although mine is a 2002 52 reg, different model and older, I still have to crank mine for probably 10 seconds now to get it to ' Hot start '.

But, yesterday I had a call from a ' new service dept manager ' at my local dealership he has booked my Rav in to fix it for good and ensure it is done.

Its going in on Monday 17Th Feb.

But on the downside,as its sunny and dry this morning I just looked under my rear suspension and seen my drivers side rear coil sheered off, right at the top.....as another member mention somewhere else on here...

More money :-(

• Like 1

Try looking at the injectors ! There r modified injectors , thay have 2 marking on the old 1 only have 1 ! Toyota can check the injector on there computer ! Thay r probly leaking fuel

It starts from cold but he only drives 1.5 miles it's still very cold it just won't start without a very long turn over, new Varta G7 800amp fitted in september starter motor removed new brushes, etc etc, it turn over like a whippet no problem with starting circuit, it will start all day with no problem, but if he starts it in the morning and knocks it off, before it gets up to temp it won't start, do you think leaking fuel would stop it starting, after the initial start, this morning it was -1 it started first time, but when he stopped for his paper it took ages to start, but yep your right I will tell him to miss his local shop and try one further away???

He will have 2 warm it up like a old deisel ! Mine start very quick every moring first turn nearly and no smoke but if I start it then switch it of and re start it it turns over a few time starts and a puff of smoke , may be the computers geting confused ! ( I would off Thort if it the injector were leaking fuel it would smoke a lot wen it starts 4'a few seconds )

thanks for the reply he has no other problems, I tried a jump lead direct from Battery to the glow plug rail this morning while he was getting his paper it made no difference still took an age to crack up, he will have to live with it