Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello And Dab Question

orangezorki

Hello everyone,

My first car was a Corolla, and after 6 years without one, I am returning to the fold with a Yaris Hybrid.

I've splurged a bit, and ended up ordering a more-or-less fully loaded one, with the Pearlescent white paint, panoramic roof, front and rear parking sensors, navigation etc.

The only thing that is a complete mystery is the DAB option. Now, I have only been to the dealer when the service section was closed, but there was very little understanding as to how DAB can be fitted. The website says that the 'touch & go' sat nav is 'DAB compatible', but that is as ambiguous as it comes.

Anyone know what the deal is?

David

'DAB compatible' means that the audio system can receive Digital Audio Broadcasting via a separate DAB tuner.

Similar situation with High Definition TV - where you either have Full HD (where the equipment has a built in HD tuner and can receive HD programmes) or HD Ready (where the equipment is capable of receiving HD channels via an HD set top box or similar).

Have a look in Sponsors Corner at the Just Connect website for solutions around having a separate DAB tuner.

Thank you- that is what I suspected, but I still think it is ridiculous. Technically, as I am able to listen to a DAB radio, I am also 'DAB compatible', but I have never put that on a job application.

Anyone know how expensive/difficult it is to add DAB?

David

on an older Avensis (they all bar Active now come with DAB) the Toyota add-on tuner is ~£400.

don't know if this is the right part for your car (you could PM Parts King) http://www.burrowstoyotaparts.co.uk/yaris-hybrid-dab-audio-wo-usb-pz473-t0210-a0-pz473-00210-me-i6462.html

Thank you - it's rare to get useful answers so quickly on most other forums!

Anyone know if there is an online parts supplier where I can check this out, or indeed if there is a review on the JustConnect option from the site sponsor?

David

Fair enough, but there are at least a few stations I would like to get that aren't available on FM.

One solution from Just Connect is: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/152943-get-dab-digital-radio-in-your-car-for-just-l7499/

Another source of info is http://blog.justconnectme.co.uk/blog/2013/08/19/five-ways-to-get-DAB-radio-in-your-car/

There is also the Pure 300Di DAB tuner from places like Halfords - around £180 plus fitting.

Be aware though that information on sites like Just Connect is there to encourage people to fit DAB, and for impartial advice one may be better to check any Which? reports or articles in relevant magazines, etc.

Thank you - it's rare to get useful answers so quickly on most other forums!

Anyone know if there is an online parts supplier where I can check this out, or indeed if there is a review on the JustConnect option from the site sponsor?

David

I would PM Parts King on here (he is Lindop Toyota parts dept.) with details of your new car, he should be able to give you a parts no. & price for the official Toyota part.

The toyota tech website shows the official Toyota DAB tuner kit with fitting instructions. Not sure of price but i may look into it.:-)

DAB is a dealer fit accessory see here : http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B9943BE30-F5C5-6ACD-0E07-03CB0833F5C5%7D/Yaris_DAB_RHD_PZ473_T0210_A0_AIM_002_028_0.pdf

Toyota advertise it fitted for £430.42 on Toyota.co.uk website, on site select owners then "model accessories"

DAB is a dealer fit accessory see here : http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B9943BE30-F5C5-6ACD-0E07-03CB0833F5C5%7D/Yaris_DAB_RHD_PZ473_T0210_A0_AIM_002_028_0.pdf

Toyota advertise it fitted for £430.42 on Toyota.co.uk website, on site select owners then "model accessories"

Thank you - I did do a google search, but never found anything as comprehensive as that!

I've also seen that it is now listed as £229.00 fitted, which is still a rip-off but within the realms of reality for a fully integrated option. At £430, it might have been cheaper just to hire the DJ and ask him/her to bring along a few CDs. My only qualm is whether or not I want a Toyota tech to pull apart the car in the way described in that pdf.

Again, very impressed at how helpful and nice people are on here compared with most internet forums, especially to a newbie. I may just stick around a bit!

David

£430 if for a fully integrated unit which uses the Touch audio unit to control the DAB, Toyota have recently added a cheaper universal bolt on unit which uses the existing FM antenna to feed DAB into a radio prest and has its own stand alone control unit mounted to the dash.

Message partsking on here for a parts only price the fitting is fairly simple and you already have the fitting guide.

Thanks - I've just realised that! I guess I'll have to keep saving the pennies...

David

David,

i recently investigated the fitting of the DAB system and removing the various trim parts was actually very simple. I used proper trim removal tools and this made everything simple. I will be fitting the toyota system as soon as I have got hold of one. It is really a DIY job but just a bir of care needed. No need to pay over the odds for tech to do it... :-)

• 9 months later...

I had the DAB head unit fitted when i bought my Yaris hybrid in January. I'm shortly due my first service and am intending to ask if they fitted the aerial and if so, did they plug it in. the Dab has a facility that silences it if there is no signal. Mine always says no signal, yet I had a Pure highway in an Avensis I previously owned and that only cut out when the FM signal used to transmit the sound to the tuner was in use. I would recommend trying to speak to someone who lives near you who has one fitted in a Toyota to find out if it works. Does anyone know the manufacturer of the toyota fitted head unit, I'd like to contact them to find out how to test if the head/ aerial unit is working correctly.

In the instructions for the head unit, there will be a declaration of conformity - this declaration will tell you who the manufacturer is.

Mike

Thanks for that, Ive checked the manual and the unit is manufactured by Panasonic. I will ask my dealer to check the aerial as there are three causes of "no signal". No service,weak signal and Dab amplifier not connected correctly to the antenna film? I don't believe I have an antenna film. should this be on the windscreen?

Regards

I've got the DAB module installed, and can confirm that there should be a small antenna fixed to the top left of the windscreen. It's only a couple of centimetres squared, with a couple of thin metal strips stuck out towards the right, but you'd know if it was there...

David

Just to point out that in the latest models that have DAB integrated into the head unit as standard, there is no longer a separate antenna but instead a top loaded combined whip antenna is now installed on the roof in the normal place which is much longer due to the 200Mhz part at the top. (a standard small whip results in loss of signal for the DAB stations - I've tried it...)

I've found out I do have an aerial. Outside my home I get no signal at all, however a portable DAB radio sat on the roof of the car gives satisfactory reception.

I'm inclined to think that either the aerial is not connected properly or the DAB add on is faulty.