Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 1.8Vmatic Tr - 2010 (10) Plate - Remote Keys

Bibsta

Can anyone tell how much a new remote control key is for a 2010 Model Avensis TR. Same thing goes for a static key for emergencies.

I have just bought this car (collecting next weekend) but it only has one remote key. I have traded in a 2008 Avensis 2.2 Diesel TR that has two remote control keys and one static key, so feel short changed by this situation.

In fairness, the dealer is looking into the issue of any missing keys - but I am braising myself that I will need to buy one.

I am going to make enquires at the Toyota dealership in Cheltenham and get a cost from them, but an idea of how it will be in advance would be helpful.

Finally, I feel a bit uneasy that there could be keys out there that fit my new car!!

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

John

As far as I'm aware you should just have two remote keys for the 2010 car - Toyota seemed to have stopped providing the static or valet key around 2008/2009 (my 2009 Auris just came with two remotes).

Think you're looking at around £150'ish for a proper Toyota key. If the dealer cannot find the second key, I'd be inclined to ask them about a replacement.

Hi,

I have put a deposit down on a 2010 Toyota Avensis 1.8V-matic TR (registered 26th June 2010) - it is in excellent condition and only 38K miles on the clock. Because it was first registered after the 1st June 2010 the car has the benefit of the Toyota warranty until end of June 2015 (5 years)

My question is......the car only has one remote control key when it should have two remote control keys and one static/ valet key (this was confirmed to me by the Toyota Main dealership in Cheltenham where I have my current 2008 Avensis serviced)

The problem I have is to get a new replacement remote control key will cost £240 including VAT and programming and I do not think that I should have to pay for this key or keys. The car dealer I am buying the car from is looking into the location of the missing remote control key and static key (this costs £180 including VAT).

If in the event they cannot find these keys, do you think I should walk away from the deal. Not sure if they are prepared to stump up the extra cash for the keys but I think that for the vehicle to be of merchantable quality then a spare key is essential.

I was told by the Toyota dealer that if the key were to get lost and without anything to copy from, the cost of a complete new key entry system would be about £1500.

What would you do in my situation. I am hoping that the dealer will be reasonable and do the right thing and provide an allowance for at least the remote control key. I will keep you posted on how this develops.

Any comments would be appreciated - I know what I will more than likely do, that is buy the car and try and get a contribution toward the cost of spare key (this cannot be done until I get the vehicle document V5C back in about 6 weeks with me named as the register keeper)

John

Similar topics merged

car should only have 2 remote keys supplied with it. no grey key anymore

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Success - the dealer I bought the car from was very helpful and reduced the price to cover the cost of a replacement remote key. When I receive the Form V5C from DVLA in about 4 weeks, I can order a new one from Listers Toyota in Cheltenham for £236.59 including VAT and coding. I can also get the static valet key (non remote) for an extra £93.90 including VAT and coding with remote key. The moral of this story is that dealers should make sure that they check that all keys are supplied - I was fortunate that the dealer I bought from was understanding and take it or leave it! The previous owner must have lost them or didn't pass them on within the supply chain - he was most unhelpful when I contacted him - address was on the V5C form. The big problem is....if with only one key and if this goes missing it is £1500 to get the security system replaced with new keys, so I was told by the Toyota dealer. My issue did get resolved.

I have a Avensis APRIL 2010. This was supplied to me with 3 keys . Thought this was standard equipment.

Certainly for the Auris, Toyota moved away from providing two remote keys and a valet key.

My 2006 Corolla - purchased new - came with 2 remote keys and 1 valet key.

My 2009 Auris - purchased new - came with 2 remote keys and no valet key. At the time of collection, the dealer covered the fact that Toyota had ceased to provide valet keys for the Auris.

My 2012 Auris - purchased new - again came with just 2 remote keys and no valet key.

Just a bit surprised they persisted with providing valet keys for the Avensis.

Hi,

It is slightly academic now, as whatever the car should have had - the previous owner owner must have lost possibly 1 remote master key and 1 static valet key and he only handed over 1 remote key when the car was part exchanged somewhere down the supply chain.

According to the Avensis Brief Guide (on page 2) included with the Owners Manual - the keys that are stated to be provided are 2 remote master keys and 1 static valet key, this is for vehicles without smart entry and start system plus key number plate (this is also missing)

The replacement missing keys (1 master + 1 valet key) are having to be purchased, will also have to see if I can get the missing key number label.

Anyway, thanks for your postings.

Regards,

John

One thing not mentioned is the removal or deprogramming of the missing key(s).

I had a neighbour who had his van stolen, because somebody had the original key. He had one key and never bother about the other, until the van was stolen.

Hopefully when the new keys are obtained, the missing keys are removed so if some some undesirable tries, the keys will not start the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links