Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Missing Parking Ticket

verytasty

Recently received letter form council stating I had not displayed my blue Badge correctly when parking. First I heard of it, parking ticket had gone off my car, after further info agreed I should have placed time clock on window so willing to pay. If I had had the ticket I would have paid within 14 days so would have got 50% discount, tried to pay within 14 days of receiving first notice received by me but expected to pay full amount (£70). Anyone advise as they won't budge? Thanks

In Birmingham, traffic wardens take digital photos of offending cars, I think, with the parking notice attached to the windscreen - do your council not do this? Otherwise, what proof have they got that they issued a ticket.

I have to admit that whenever I park with a ticket I always take a photo of it in situ then delete it once I'm home...

• Like 1

This is an awkward one and i got stung heavily on this one. The car is registered in my name but my wife had been using it for work, Newham and the traffic wardens are known to be ultra keen in the Docklands area and people are even fined for dropping ciggie ends on the floor, even if they drop them down a drain and that particular fine is around £50 believe it or not. Anyway my wife told me she was parked 5 mins over her allowed time and on the windscreen was a blue plastic parking ticket wallet open at one end, it was stuck to the screen but no ticket at all inside. She took it as a warning shot from the traffic warden not to do it again, i.e. pay for a 1 hour ticket and be there 65 mins....end of story we thought. Anyway about 2 months went by and i received a parking fine, now double at £160 as i hadn't paid the original one of £80 that was never there and it said if i don't pay it would double again. In the end it was advised pay the ticket and write to them so £160 later i wrote to them and their reply was since i had paid the amount the case was now closed and wouldn't budge at all. It made me wonder if the traffic warden put the ticket in the wallet in the first place as they are on commission and the more they collect the better their wage, now matter who i spoke to i got no where :disgust:

Thanks for your replies. After my enquiry regarding what Parking Crime I had actually committed they did supply photos, one showing the ticket on my windscreen, its a shame they didn't wait until I returned to the car and then took another one!! It seems to be a case of heads we win, tails you lose. It was East Riding County Council. I will probably end paying it but feel like I am being bullied, :disgust:

Hi Maureen.

As a matter of information your parking ticket was probably issued by a private ticket company contracted in by the council, i know this to be the case when my wife got he invisible ticket In my case the firm in question were way up north and in it just for the money so that's why i believe they will play any and every trick in the book to get the max. out of you that they can. They are just low lifes' that have been given a bit of power and then use it every way they can.

If you phone then you only get an 0845 number so they take more money from you, you go through the various options on the recorded message and you still get no where.

Regards Mike169

Recently received letter form council stating I had not displayed my blue badge correctly when parking. First I heard of it, parking ticket had gone off my car, after further info agreed I should have placed time clock on window so willing to pay. If I had had the ticket I would have paid within 14 days so would have got 50% discount, tried to pay within 14 days of receiving first notice received by me but expected to pay full amount (£70). Anyone advise as they won't budge? Thanks

Your case is not unique as this has happened many times before, whereby when the first the car owner knows that he/she has received a parking fine is when the 'Notice To Owner' drops on the mat.

You should in the first instance write back stating that you had not received a PCN therefore cannot be liable for the full amount, its not unknown for tickets to be removed from the windscreen by kids or idiots who think it funny to do so.

They should take your reasons into account and may allow you to pay at the reduced amount.

Did you appeal to them after you received the 'NTO' stating that you had not received a PCN and insist that because of that you should still be able to pay at the reduced rate, or did you just simply try to pay at the reduced rate ?.

It might be worthwhile contacting the NoToMOB for advice, i certainly would. http://notomob.co.uk/discussions/

Some years ago i experienced the same, when the first i knew of a ticket was when the 'NTO' dropped through the letter box, this ticket was issued when a Parking attendant had to apply the ticket to the car or serve it to you direct, they couldn't just take a photo like they can today and send you a 'PCN' through the post.

Basically what happened was, I had just parked up on a single yellow line during enforcement hours, i crossed the road with my son and saw him safely through the school gate, i could see that a Parking Attendant was by my car, i quickly ran back and got in, i could see the Attendant was noting my Tax Disc number, and as i started the engine he looked like the cat that had got the cream as a broad smile broke over his face, however the last laugh was mine or so i thought as i drove away before he could finish writing, let alone place the ticket in the bag and stick it to the windscreen.

Weeks passed and i had forgotten about the incident until the day when the 'NTO' arrived, i appealed straight away stating that the ticket had never been applied in the first place explaining what had happened, adding that the ticket had been issued fraudulently by the Attendant, they of course rejected my 'representations' as they always do with every appeal, because they hope you will just pay plus they have nothing to lose if you go to The Parking and Traffic Appeals Service 'Patas', if they lose the case they just move on to the next victim, if you lose your fine will double and that is what they play on. However i appealed to Patas, i wasn't going to let it go without a fight because i knew that the ticket had been issued illegally, i also started a complaints procedure with the council over the Parking Attendants conduct.

In the meantime i was issued a hearing date by Patas, i elected to appeal by post and not in person. A couple of months passed when I received a letter from the council stating that they had decided to drop the case, a couple of weeks or so after that i received a letter from Patas stating that i had won my appeal.

Thanks again.

Got a letter from the council again, refuse to believe I never received the ticked and will not let me pay the reduced fee. I have paid the £70 today as they are threatening to put it up to £120. Feel very bitter about it, now I know why East Riding Yorkshire Council have no need to put there rates up this year! They seem to have really hounded the disabled and pensioners with the parking charges this year if the comments I have received at various social meetings I have been to are to be believed. I will spread the word around for motorists not to visit Beverley if they don't want a fine!! :giljotiini:

• 2 weeks later...

Government signals end to CCTV use for parking fines.

http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/2013/09/government-signals-end-cctv-use-parking-fines.html

Councils will be banned from using spy cameras to impose parking tickets under a crackdown on town halls that wage war against drivers.

The plans will also see motorists get compensation for unfair fines.

Ministers are to change the law to prevent local authorities using CCTV – intended to catch serious criminals – to boost their coffers by monitoring motorists who park in the wrong place.

article-2434345-0958440F000005DC-697_634
+2

Councils will be banned from using spy cameras to impose parking tickets on motorists

Under the proposals unveiled today, those who have been targeted incorrectly and win an appeal will get double their money back – with compensation payments equal to the original fine.

Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles will also order a review of the spread of yellow lines amid complaints that parking restrictions in town centres have been imposed ‘over-zealously’ and are killing high street stores.

The crackdown includes previously announced plans to extend the grace period for motorists before they get a parking ticket from five minutes to 15.

Nine million parking fines are issued every year by town halls in England – even though there are only 19 million cars on the roads – and the scale of fines has soared to more than £1.3billion a year, double the amount when Labour came to power in 1997.

article-2434345-184CE8F400000578-762_306
+2

Review: A traffic warden in action

Some 75 councils in England use static CCTV cameras and there are 102 cars equipped with spy cameras used for parking enforcement.

Campaign group Big Brother Watch found 10.7 million fines have been issued over the past five years, costing motorists more than £300million.

Councils in England are forecast to make £635million net profit from parking charges and parking fines this year, nearly 6 per cent up on 2012. Drivers appeal against 1.3 million parking tickets every year, with 660,000 winning, but parking adjudicators have no powers to award compensation for the hassle or distress if a council wrongly imposes a parking fine.

Mr Pickles plans to change secondary legislation to give them the same powers as the Planning Inspectorate, which can award compensation when councils act unreasonably.

‘Compensation would act as a deterrent to councils,’ a senior government source said. ‘The amount would be of a similar level to the fine.’

Mr Pickles and Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin will announce the changes at the Conservative Party conference, in a bid to show voters that the Tories are tackling the rising cost of living.

Mr Pickles said: ‘The last Labour government told councils to hammer hard-working people with higher parking charges and unfair parking fines.

‘We want to rein in these over-zealous and unfair rules on parking enforcement, so it focuses on supporting high streets and motorists, not raising money.’

£10billion raised from stealth taxes

One in three councils is earning more money from parking and service charges than council tax, a study has revealed.

A total of £10.2billion was made by local authorities by charging for parking, school meals, funerals and other domestic services between 2011 and 2012.

The Audit Commission said some councils are using the charges to boost their income after the Coalition put a freeze on council tax rises.

The public spending watchdog revealed that ‘stealth tax’ charges for services paid for a fifth of district councils’ spending. In London, Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea and Wandsworth had incomes that outstripped spending on equivalent domestic services.

Woking Borough Council in Surrey made the most from charges, using them to raise 87 per cent of its annual spending.

Local government minister Brandon Lewis said councils should not be ‘hammering’ residents with stealth taxes, adding: ‘In particular, we believe more should be done to protect residents from excessive parking charges and unfair parking fines.’

He said parking spy cars were ‘a step too far’ adding: ‘Public confidence is strengthened in CCTV if it is used to tackle crime, not to raise money for council coffers.’

Mr McLoughlin said: ‘Arbitrary parking rules force shoppers online or to out-of-town stores, causing lasting damage to local firms and small shops.’

Residents and businesses will be able to petition councils to start a review of yellow lines, with a view to creating more short-term waiting bays, to allow people to pop into local shops whilst avoiding all-day parking charges.

Tony Ball, of the Local Government Association which represents councils, said: ‘Parking controls are not about revenue raising, they are absolutely essential for keeping the roads clear and making sure people can park near their homes and local shops.

‘Camera cars have been instrumental in keeping children from being hurt or killed … and CCTV plays an important role elsewhere in monitoring traffic flow and keeping cars moving.'

But the Government won support from pressure groups. Nick Pickles, of Big Brother Watch, said: ‘Councils are cashing in on CCTV because it’s not catching crooks.

But the Government won support from pressure groups. Nick Pickles, of Big Brother Watch, said: ‘Councils are cashing in on CCTV because it’s not catching crooks.

'They’re turning them on residents to fill their coffers and justify the expensive systems they’ve bought.’

Share or comment on this article

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2434345/Crackdown-parking-charges-boost-council-coffers.html#ixzz2uANV0S23
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Very interesting information, nice to see that something is being done. The pictures on my car where taken by the dear traffic warden. When I park my car now ALWAYS make sure that the clock is displayed even though I don't always need it. One concilation, just saved £70 on my car insurance but it would have been nice to have seen the saving in my bank account not paid to the council. Told my present insurer I had got a better quote from Churchill so they matched it. £180 for 05 Toyota Yaris Verso, fully comp + breakdown service including from home!

Well done in in getting your insurance quote down :thumbsup: :toast:

Who's your Insurer ?.

Hi all, just thought i'd say something here, for many, many years i was with Swintons insurance who of course broker for many big insurance companies.

When i bought my 12 plate Rav4 about a year ago now from a main dealer, part of the 'sales pitch' is they give you 3 days free insurance thats supposeably so they can put road tax on the vehicle and so you can drive it home.

Well of course now Toyota insurance have your details and are keen to give you a 12 month quote, well...................they were about £400 cheaper than Swinton's for a much better cover so much so when my other car, a Mercedes came up for renewal i called Toyota insurance if they insure other cars, well of course they do, again the quote from them was £100's, something like £400 again cheaper than Swintons and we have had to make a claim, thanks wifey................... :disgust: but Toyota were 100% professional, got everything sorted out and because the car was repaired (The Rav4) by a Toyota approved repairer they are happy to take it back in part exchange if ever we upgrade........it was only minor damage but still cost a bit over 2k as they fitted a new rear bumper rather than repair the crack in the old one and it's a perfect job, and i am fussy, lol.

I am insured with One Call 01302 554015. Includes No Claim Cover. Excess £150, 6,000 yearly mileage. Hope they can help you. Received all docs now as due to start Thursday, hope it helps someone else.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links