Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windshield Wiper Options For The Iq

Sensha

Does anyone know if a wiper control from another Toyota, one that allows for an interval rear wiper and a interval setting dial (like we used to have on our Previa and Sienna), where you could vary the interval from very long to almost none at all?

From the appearance of the mount for the wiper control, it appears that it is a standard mounting, similar to that of other Toyotas that we have owned. However, I am not sure as to how many of the "features" on these other controls would transfer over to the iQ

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Hi Terry

I am guessing your wipers are manual. I have an iQ2 in the UK and it comes with auto rain sensing. Also manual multi speed intermittent wipe.Again with most of the car, its controlled by secondary ECU. So if you were to acquire a new stalk from another Toyota

1. The wiring would be a nightmare

2, The ECU may not be programmed to support it.

Here is a pic of mine

post-109788-0-84429400-1392207270_thumb.

Rear wipers I guess are the same on all iQ's

Mine turn on, wipe 1 or two times I think then go into a set length, intermittent wipe. You can't change the length between the wipes.

I have a Scion, US spec rear boot lid spoiler, rear mudflaps and the lower skirt on my car and the rear window gets wiped once at the start of a wet journey and the window seems to stay clear for many miles and I very rarely use the rear wiper again. Not sure if the spoiler makes the difference?

Craig.

Same here Craig

Having driven a van for some considerable time, I rarely us my rearview and if i need to look behind me, I use the rear view camera Ha. I have the Japanese spoiler . I kind of wipe the rear out of curiosity

David

• Like 1

Even though the rear wiper, sited as it is for the perverse right hand driver's position in what? - two countries in the world, does cover a portion of the rear window that is less than useful here in the US of A, I still like to keep things clean on the rear window. I far rather have it sited in the center of the window, but what are you going to do?

Our iQs are not equipped with the automatic wipers and hockey pucks, and it appears that the wiper control is a simple, self contained unit, as with the older Toyotas of my acquaintance. Several posters on the US iQ boards have come up with part numbers for a variety of wiper stalks that will allegedly offer more control over the front wipers. Alas, none of them offer an interval control on the rear.

Installation appears to be as simple as swapping in the new stalk for the old one. Something to consider if you would like to add a variable setting for the front wipers.

• Like 1

I also have the rear spoiler, and it does seem to keep things a bit cleaner than the rear window on our xB.

• Like 1

Even though the rear wiper, sited as it is for the perverse right hand driver's position in what? - two countries in the world

76, according to a Wikipedia article!

Total: 76 countries, territories, and dependencies

Today road traffic in the following seven European jurisdictions drives on the left: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey, Malta and Cyprus. None shares a land border with a country that drives on the right and all were once part of the British Empire. Some Commonwealth countries and other former British colonies, such as Australia, Bahamas, Brunei, Barbados, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Singapore, New Zealand, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Republic of Mauritius, South Africa and Trinidad & Tobago drive on the left, but others such as Canada, Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and the United States drive on the right.

Other countries that drive on the left in Asia are Thailand, Indonesia, Bhutan, Nepal, Macau, East Timor and Japan. In South America, only the Falkland Islands, Guyana and Suriname drive on the left. Most of the Pacific countries drive on the left, in line with Australia and New Zealand, with Samoa joining most recently, on 7 September 2009, the first country for three decades to change the side on which it drives.

Most significantly though, I imagine is the fact that the car was designed and originally sold in Japan. Where they drive on the correct side of the road. :)

• Like 1

"wrong" side.. my dear Sir... right is the correct side...... left is wrong and right is right...

165 countries drive on the right... damn...

If they can change the steering-wheel... from right to left... they sure could change the rear-wiper from right to the left.. Or should have made it a middle-wiper-thing...

But the cars made for the lefties... have no footrest in the middle for your left foot... we "the righties" have a nice footrest... handy with the CVT and cruise-control...

:-P

Of the current Toyotas on sale in Europe, only the Aygo has the rear wiper set up for left hand drive. The IQ, Verso S and Yaris have the rear wiper set up for right hand drive. The Auris, Verso Avensis Tourer and Urban Cruiser have the rear wiper mounted centrally.

The main drawback with the centrally mounted rear wiper, is, being a compromise, the swept area is smaller than if it were mounted either to the left or the right.

• Like 1

"wrong" side.. my dear Sir... right is the correct side...... left is wrong and right is right...

Well, here's a little fun food for thought:

We can identify a few advantages to driving on the left. The dangerous part of the road is, of course, the center where vehicles pass in opposite directions. The energy of impact is more substantial there – the time necessary to avoid an impact is a fraction of what is available to avoid impacts with people or objects on the side of the road. It might make sense to have your good hand on that side, to be sure – humans also have ocular preference where the majority favors their right eye over their left. This feedback between your eye and your hand on the steering wheel is the crucial moment of safe driving.

Consider, then, sitting on the right hand side of your car – you keep your good hand within this feedback loop, while your left is free to operate the gear stick, as you turn a corner, say, or fiddle with the radio. The gears, the buttons on the radio, etc. are generally digital switches – on or off, one, two, three, four, and so on. The point is that the hand remaining on the wheel is in an analogue control mode and should demand much more of your brain power to keep it good than a mere switch. Another point to consider is when you are reversing and you look over your shoulder, through the rear window to see where you are going:. If you sit on the left hand side of your car, your bad hand remains on the steering wheel and is forced to become part of the analogue feedback loop…

Of course, the real world is much more complicated: in cultures with relaxed driving habits, it may well be better to use your right hand for operations around the interior of the vehicle, like finding a radio station, drinking coffee or retrieving a dropped mobile phone. Using your good hand for this may reduce the time that there is only one hand on the steering wheel. One particular nation might extensively employ dual carriageways which separate the traffic directions, while strictly enforcing speed limits on more dangerous single carriageway roads. There are many, many more vehicles with manual gear shifts in Europe than North America, too, for instance.

But consider this: The UK, which drives on the left, has consistently fewer road accidents and casualties than the rest of right-driving Europe.

(taken from here)

• Like 1

Such a good observational post. And of course in the UK your right arm is seen to be your sword arm.

David

• Like 1

More applicable though to right-handed people than the 1 in 10 of us who are left handed.

• Like 1

Very true, though one would imagine overall safety would be higher if you cater to the 90% rather than the 10%... though I guess it's nice to get the occasional plus side in a world so often keyed to the right-handed!

• Like 1

I've spent a few weeks driving in the left hand side world of Japan, and can say that after an initial period of adjustment, it worked out well enough. However, I'd not want to have to make the adjustment frequently, and the return to right hand side driving is a bit disorienting.

• Like 2

I've spent a few weeks driving in the left hand side world of Japan, and can say that after an initial period of adjustment, it worked out well enough. However, I'd not want to have to make the adjustment frequently, and the return to right hand side driving is a bit disorienting.

While I like driving on the left, and think it makes more sense, this is exactly the problem - the switch between the two. I always remember a story from my dad, who was a mathematician. A group of French mathematicians came across for a conference or for some collaborative working. They stopped at a motorway service station, and then forgot where they were and drove the wrong way onto the motorway - all killed instantly.

The crazy thing is that things like the multitude of languages on this planet have been said to be a curse or punishment, causing divide and conflict. This is a problem that could well have been avoided.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links