Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grrrr! Idiots On The Road Today

Wiz201

I had a driver who didn't know how to do roundabouts as he acted surprised when me and a van pulled out in front of him (we had plenty of distance anyway) but he was in the left hand lane signalling left. I was on the inside of the van but saw the driver signalling left so I confidently set off on the inside of the van driver, only to see in my mirror that he wanted to actually go right round the roundabout.

Then I had a BMW driver that didn't know that the cross roads junction had a green light for people turning right.

Some people just don't surprise me anymore.

BMW and Audi drivers tend to be the worst for idiotic driving, Audis love overtaking.

I know this will sound ridiculous to many, but I honestly give lone Citroen Picasso drivers a very wide berth now. Reason ? I've been carved up by three of them & tailgated by another two ! Don't like to stereotype any cars, but once you've experienced poor driving several times from the drivers of same type vehicles - well, it's difficult not to ....... Isn't it weird how a people carrier can illicit such poor driving ? You kind of expect them to be extra careful somehow.

If the gap looks a wee bit on the small side I don't rely on anybody else's indicators - I wait until I see obvious signs of braking/intent to turn.

I know that I can drive but assume that everybody else can't :P

I have to admit that I work on the principle that everyone is out to get me... :lol:

It's strange how things change, not that long ago it was Volvo drivers that
were bad. Someone said it was because the cars were so safe ?

One of the "jokes" in the smart club was because Smarts were so

light, they use other cars crumple zones, so if you got in to trouble at 70 on
a motorway, head for the nearest Volvo!

In all seriousness though, I treat every other car as a block of mobile

concrete with a brain to match. I never assume that a turn signal means what it
says. Just keep out of the way and stay back where you can see exactly what
they are doing. It does save some very unpleasant surprises. Driving in London,
you need eyes in your backside to navigate the loonies, very tiring.

I have to admit that I work on the principle that everyone is out to get me... :lol:

and they often are.................. :lol:

After soo many years on the road and seeing the same kind of shunt,too often, one rule that has served me well is at a roundabout only watch the vehicle in front until it is your turn.

Just because you would have gone did not mean that it has,for whatever reason.

Not preaching, Scout's honour (maybe better ignore that I never was in the Scouts)Did not have the knees for it

Del

• Like 1

That's not preaching crofter, that's a useful piece of info. This is one of the most common shunts. If your post stops just one accidend it is very helpful

It can happen at any junctions really, an easy shunt as the driver behind doesn't notice the other hasn't set off. That's how cash for claims happen.

When you are the car at the front you can help to avoid being shunted by not moving or taking your foot off the brake until you are definitely going. It's that change of mind that'll get you a sore backside :)

Yeah; I always give a quick 2-count for the car in front to move, ESP if a fast-mover is behind me.

So many times I've seen a white van in front of someone ***** forward as tho' it's going to power off, only to suddenly brake as the person in front of them is moving off too slowly, and the car behind the van has shot off too and almost rear-ended them (Lucky fast-movers also have good brakes!).

That said, if I am at the front of the lights I do usually haul-***** (I blame this on my instructor; His advice was always "Junctions are hazards. Enter them carefully, cross them without delay.").

Observation is the key - The road is very hypnotic; I never really noticed until I passed my test. It is easy to get blinkered off. I see so many hard braking and near-misses with cyclists and bikers because people are not looking far enough ahead or checking their mirrors before turns!

And good observation also helps save fuel!

Observation, space, make sure your brakes don't suck. (I didn't do that last one and paid for it :crybaby:)

I'm really pleased to see you Guys have really good driving skills. Wouldn't it be nice if every driver thought the way we do. I'm sure driving wouldn't be so tiring.

OK guys, devils advocate

With a few exceptions I was taught that the vehicle in front has the right of way.Right or wrong???

Many drivers do not drive the foot to the floor always way, if not on the throttle then it will be on the brake.

These other drivers are driving in what they consider safe driving for them for whatever reason,it may be medical that is not considered to be severe enough to withdraw the licence which is,I believe only done after professional advice,or maybe they are nursing the motor to a garage after a fault has developed.

Or would you drive differently if you where driving from the hospital with your first born.

There seems to be a lack of consideration in some of these posts,I was a truck and van driver and know that pressures are placed on you what with a high daily drop rate and delivery slots, but the average car driver?

The point about sitting with the foot on the brake.Have you considered that shining a bright red light in someones eyes can also effect vision especially at night or in the wet,if they have not driven into you then they have seen you! Eye level brake lights,were they added as an aid that the third car in line could see and give them advance warning

It's one thing driving as if everyone else on the road is an idiot as a self defence,but consider this,whilst you are ranting and raving at other road users you are convinced are out to annoy and frustrate you alone,just consider who's stress levels and blood pressure is rising. Not theirs

Please excuse me if this seems like a lecture,it is in no way meant to be.

Reread the first line.

Del

I wonder what the Guys in the US do? I gather they have a foot operated parking brake. Does the Scion have one of these, or the hand lever same as us?

The point about sitting with the foot on the brake.

Not so easy to avoid with an automatic (depending on the type and shifter).

I wonder what the Guys in the US do? I gather they have a foot operated parking brake. Does the Scion have one of these, or the hand lever same as us?

They vary just like ours do (my friend has a Lexus with a foot parking brake). I have a US Ford and it has a lever, so foot is not universal over there.

If its on the level or uphill I tend to use the accelerator pedal at its biting point like a clutch to control its speed as I wait to go.

Yeesh Isobel, that's a great way to wear your clutch out prematurely. I would get out of that habit ASAP. It's also not very safe in a manual, or auto.

You could get distracted and roll back or go forward. At least that would be a fender bender, at worst there could be a pedestrian in front or behind you at the time.

I only do it if its literally a few seconds. After that I put the handbrake on.

I am afraid that vox is correct,Isobel, it really does shorten the life of the clutch you bad girl.

A virtual slap on the leg for that!!

It is just a safety measure as well for you,like lets say when waiting to turn right keep your wheels straight so if some nunpty hit you at the back you will not be pushed into oncoming traffic

Del