Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes

g7jtk

I noticed a vibration while driving the U/C the other day (I don't drive it much). A bit like the ABS cutting in but without the noise. My thoughts are that it could be warped discs. It is booked in to get sorted at the local dealer next week. They think new discs and pads form my Wife's description of it on the phone.

Are discs a weal point on the U/C? just over 20K on the clock.

Brakes discs are wearable items on any car manufactured after asbestos was taken out of brake pads/linings in the late 1990's, or where the pads/linings have been replaced with non-asbestos items.

One common reason for discs warping, is drivers holding the car on the foot brakes, instead of using the handbrake, after a period of braking from high speed or hard braking - the pads clamped against the discs affect how the discs cool and can lead to the discs overheating, becoming blued, and/or warping.

My neighbour's son had the front discs replaced at both the first (11000 miles) and second services (22000) on his 2011 Polo diesel due to them being blued and warped - car largely used around Birmingham by his 40-something wife who is a mobile hairdresser.

So we could be replacing pads and discs at the same time every time. Mind you I could see this being the cause. Maybe this can be used against her when she complains about the bills for the Land Rover.

Hopefully not. Think most manufacturers had removed asbestos from brake pads/linings by the year 2000. We've had nine new cars since than and haven't experienced any problems with brake discs and pads so far. Think the key thing is, if your wife is holding the car on the foot brakes, to get out of the habit in case this may be the cause of the discs warping.

If the discs have warped, ask the dealer about skimming.

If only she drove fast enough to generate heat in the brakes ;)

Apparently the fault was corroded discs. Now replaced.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links