Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq In Uk To End

Blue Kingfisher

In Japan Toyota have models below the IQ which fit into the Kei class - (essentially versions of Daihatsu's) the Pixis Space (Daihatsu Move Conte) and Pixis Epoch (Daihatsu Mira).

However, like the IQ, they're built in Japan and, for Europe, will suffer the same exchange rate and viability issues that have killed off the IQ, the Verso S and the Urban Cruiser.

The exchange rate problem was the reason that Daihatsu withdrew from Europe.

As I said earlier, think Toyota are looking for the top end versions of the new Aygo, which goes on sale in July, (and not the current version) to effectively replace the IQ.

I don't like the Aygo. It was ok 87 years ago when it was released but it's getting a wee bit long in the tooth now. It also looks way too much like a Citroen and that's no good (yeah I know the models are related).

Toyota need a good low end car if they're removing the IQ. The Aygo is nothing new, nor nothing special. The Yaris is nice, but again it's nothing different and is too big for a city car. The Japanese market is full of Kei cars and for many people they have a place here.

We liked the IQ, we liked the way it drives (for what it is) and we liked the warranty. If Toyota stop selling it, we'll have to look elsewhere :(

Shame :((

New Aygo is due in Late June early July and the upper spec model will include options not previously available on Aygo covering the higher spec offered by IQ

See: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/156795-new-aygo-sneak-pictures/

• Like 1

Surely at this rate every car theu make on Japan not be viable to sell to europe and Uk. They will have to start building tbem here. Note, this is my simplistic answer. Feel free to shoot the concept down in flames

David

The new Aygo certainly looks interesting .... a high spec with keyless entry would be good. The option of a glass or canvas roof would make it quite tempting.

i quite like the unusual front.

All may not be lost !

Surely at this rate every car theu make on Japan not be viable to sell to europe and Uk. They will have to start building tbem here. Note, this is my simplistic answer. Feel free to shoot the concept down in flames

David

Of the current European range the Auris and Avensis are built in the UK, the Aygo in the Czech Republic, the Yaris in France, and the Verso and the Corolla saloon in Turkey. Think the HiLux is built in Thailand. The IQ, Prius, Landcruiser and Rav 4 are the only ones built in Japan.

I dont see the aygo of any description as an iq replacement, just another 3 or 5 door small hatchback, you can up the spec as much as you want but its still a eurobox. The iq is indivdual , quirky if you like, but its definitely different. Highly manouverable, park on a postage stamp, economical (well mine is) quick. I wont be rushing out to look at a czech built job, with a makeover. I've stuck to the 3 door rav , which they stupidly stopped building and I'll stick with the iq, toyota realised they dropped a clangour by not building a good small suv, they've got one on the way allegedly,one day they'll revisit the small car concept, needs to be something better than a citroen/peugeot/toyota malange for me though.

• Like 1

I'm with atkimen on this. The new Aygo whilst a nice looking car is just the same as the Ford Ka, VW Up and even the Yaris.

The IQ was original. It maximised space and was actually a proper city car. Amazing turning circle, miniscule dimensions and easy to drive and it was almost impossible not to find a space to park it!

I too worry about Toyotas all being built outside of Japan. However hard they try to get the Japanese quality, they'll not manage it in every factory. VW's have lost significant sales in the US due to very poor quality control at their Mexico factory. The new Auris hybrid hasn't been reliable at all and neither was the original Aygo.

I wonder if Toyota are forgetting their raison d'etre? Why do people buy them?

Don't think people realise how far new registrations of the IQ have fallen in the UK.

In 2009, when the IQ was first introduced to the UK market, new registrations were 7642.

In 2013, new registrations were 1265 - just 17% of the first year sales. This was less than half of the new registrations in 2012 (2603).

Perhaps with this low level of sales and the unfavourable exchange rates, it is not surprising that Toyota are calling it a day with the IQ in the UK.

Has anyone got any views regarding used IQ prices (UP V Down) ? now that they are no longer available new in UK ?

Doubt whether there will be much change. Parts availability won't be an issue.

When I traded my old IQ (2 and a half years old) in for a new one nearly 3 years ago I was offered just over £7000 as part exchange.

I just put my current IQ's (nearly 3 years old) details into "we buy any car.com" just to see what it would be worth to them, and got just over £5000 as an offer and that is with sat nav.

I realise a private sale or even a trade in would hopefully get much more than that but I am surprised that both cars nearly the same age but 3 years apart would have the later car being worth so much less, for a better equipped car.

The market is not keen on IQs it would seem.

I dont see the aygo of any description as an iq replacement, just another 3 or 5 door small hatchback, you can up the spec as much as you want but its still a eurobox. The iq is indivdual , quirky if you like, but its definitely different. Highly manouverable, park on a postage stamp, economical (well mine is) quick. I wont be rushing out to look at a czech built job, with a makeover. I've stuck to the 3 door rav , which they stupidly stopped building and I'll stick with the iq, toyota realised they dropped a clangour by not building a good small suv, they've got one on the way allegedly,one day they'll revisit the small car concept, needs to be something better than a citroen/peugeot/toyota malange for me though.

Yes and no.

There is nothing else like an iQ , one of the reasons I chose it and the new Aygo definitely isn't a replacement.

However, I do think it is interesting and quite different.

Things move on and trust me a 5 year old design is a lifetime in car development.

Some aspects of the iQ are getting long in the tooth, particularly the interior and the media technology. Or more correctly the lack of it.

In short(no pun intended) the Aygo is very fresh and I think looks very interesting.

I'm not saying that I'll put my order in tomorrow but the new Aygo is a million from being just a Eurobox

For some reason I can't post a link

But there is an excellent film on you tube / toyota about the new Aygo

All-New Toyota AYGO 2014 - The Story:

Is this it?

Is this it?

That's the one.

Thanks.

This *&%$# video ...man oh man ... what a cr*@#$%^p ...

"Go fun yourself" ... Really ... seriously? .... Well....F*n you too...

Give us real information pleeeassee....

Anyways ... if they had a nice color I would think about one.... (there is no other small car..and..no... Peugeot or Citroen don't count, nor does the Smart with it's terribly working gearbox)

Is it just me that finds the front end of that new Aygo to be fugly?

Resale values are funny, they seem to drop steeply once a car's no longer made - or at least they have done with the cars I've had in the past!

• Like 1

I think when a car is no longer made, people assume that in a short time after purchase that the parts will no longer be available. As we know this is not true

David

• Like 1

Ha ha .. yes the "Go Fun Yourself" tag line will come back to bite them .. there will not be a poster anywhere that will not be subject to some form of modification by a wag with a spray can.

I guess no one at Toyota GB feels empowered to point out the possible implications.

As for fugly.... it may look better in the metal .. but I still think it looks interesting.

The video is aimed at the generation who are the target audience ... both my daughters are in their 20s and are well impressed ... the Manga association sold it.

Maybe they should have done the same with the iQ along the lines of the massive campaign that drove sales of the Fiat 500

• Like 1

On the iQ... In Holland they did hardly any to none advertising or something fun for the iQ... NONE...

When we had meetings, I would ask Toyota for "titbits" to give away and make advertisement for the iQ on the way... Nope... never ever something...

Like keycards / models / lighters / pens / what have you...

Very very disappointing...

But I love this car... and do not care about the MPG cause is sóóóó much better than my GuzzlerPrevia....

BTW the last time you saw that 'gunk' stuff in my oilcompartement... Well .. I am driving with the CVT in the S mode (sports) and after some days with higher revs... it's almost totally gone...

MPG goes down btw doing this :-) Do not care....

Have a "f*n" day you all ... :-D

Sorry - I didn't mean to offend.

Without wishing to be insensitive to your sad loss, I think you will find " grave " in this context means requires serious thought. As in "grave decision" or specifically "grave news" i.e. news that needs to be carefully considered.

• Like 1

Wee update on this, I was chatting with our dealer yesterday while the iQ was in for a 30,000 mile service & she says they've not been told anything official themselves yet. We are even thinking of trading the car up to a new iQ2 while we still could if they were officialy stopping taking orders, because here's a lovely purple iQ2 in the showroom at the moment, but it's still not clear what's happening they were saying :-/

• Like 1

I personally believe the IQ hasn't sold well in the last year because it's not been marketed properly. It's been years since I've seen one at the front of advertising in a Local Toyota branch which is baffling in this current climate! If they marketed the hell out of this car, I'm sure a lot of people would be driving away from the dealerships in a brand new IQ!

It's the like GT86. It was such a big thing before it's press release and stood outside and inside the dealerships for few months then BAM!! It suddenly disappeared. The IQ is one of the best cars in this tight, strapped climate for its cheap costs and city drivability, yet sales are just not happening. I wonder why..

The thing is, every time I park it somewhere different, there is always someone, who will comment or faces will turn to look at it in confusion on its strange looks and size. This tells you something - it might not be everyone's cup of tea but with the right advertising throughout tough times, this car SHOULD be selling. But it's not.

Toyota, in my opinion, are completely mad to drop this car off their line. All that wasted money into creating a car that's different, yet practical, then chuck one in dealerships then sell the Aygo over the IQ... Really? What are they playing at?

I remember when we were originally looking at getting a small car in 2011 and got shown the Aygo first, before the IQ. The Aygo was too basic for our needs and even though it ticked some boxes, it turned out too cheap and nasty for us. Then, once we jumped in the IQ, which we had to ask, "what's that wee car all about" before getting shown it, the reaction was completely different. Great small car, that has luxery, yet is very cheap and different. Obviously we didn't buy ours at that dealership as his attuitude stunk, gave us a supidly high price with no slack and couldn't answer any questions we both had about the car. So we toke our business down the road and ended buying a second hand IQ, which is the car you see today.

Bottom line - Toyota aren't and haven't pulled their hair out enough trying to sell this car from our experiences. Too many unanswered questions and hardly any big market campaigns have left this poor car, at the back of dealerships gathering dust. This could be been a breakthrough for them, which it was, just very briefly. Only 6 or so years on the market - I find that hard to believe why these cars aren't selling!! Yes, they are more than Smart cars but they are SO much better and drive like a big car would. It's such a shame!

• Like 3

In mid March 2014 Toyota published a bulletin announcing that they will no longer be taking factory orders for new IQ and that existing stock is expected to be depleted by late summer based on current sales activity.

Toyota expect the new Aygo, now available with much higher specifications to fill gap the and to increase sales far higher than IQ achieved.

Toyota stated that the extremely high Yen/£/Euro exchange rate has hampered sales growth, reducing orders and that upcoming EU regulations would require significant alterations increasing costs further.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links