Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Light Goes Out During Braking

dharmaduke

Hello there! Apologies if something similar has been covered before, I tried scanning through but there's so many pages it's likely I could have missed it.

Anyways, my problem is my right rear brake light on my 1992 Corolla sedan... the running tail lights work perfectly, but when I step on my brakes the right brake light not only doesn't go on, the tail light on that side goes out! As in, the right side goes dark with the brakes applied, then the regular running tail light comes back on when the brake is released. The left brake light and upper mounted brake light work perfectly, it's only the right side that is wonky.

I'm assuming maybe a wiring issue/short somewhere along the way? I'll check the bulb and bulb socket/wiring at the socket first, but anyone else have a similar problem, or insight into what could be going on?

Thanks!

Hi Gary, this sounds like a simple one to be honest and i believe the bulb is not earthing out properly, that means not the feed wires, there must be 2 of those 1 for side light live and one for the brake light live but the 3rd one which will probably be a totally different colour isn't working properly, either the multi plug connector needs cleaning or the 3rd wire, black on many vehicles isn't making a good contact at the other end. As a test if you could get a piece of wire and connect it close to the bulb of the 3rd wire, even the bulb casing if accessible and hold the other end to a convenient exposed piece of metal, not painted, maybe a bolt head or something then get someone else to put the lights on for you, ignition on, and this 2nd person presses the brake pedal all should work ok........so you have to find out where or why the earth wire isn't connected properly somewhere? It might be worth swopping the bulb with the same bulb on the other side just to make sure it's not just a bulb problem but highly unlikely.

Good luck!

Mike169

You are very welcome Gary, do let us know how you get on.............................which country are you in by the way?

Mike.

No one gets back to say how they fixed it, quick enough to ask but cant be ubikd to say "yes" all fixed, it was so and so

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No one gets back to say how they fixed it, quick enough to ask but cant be ubikd to say "yes" all fixed, it was so and so

Actually Phil01, I was out of the city unexpectedly on work and wasn't able to look at it until just now. But I appreciate your patience with me. ;)

Once I popped off the lamp housing assembly, the problem was readily apparent: Two of the screws holding the bulb sockets to the plastic housing/ground wires had backed off with vibration, and the sockets were wiggly-loose by hand... both screws quickly snugged up with a screwdriver and everything works perfect, the easiest fix ever! I drew arrows on the picture to the offending screws.

btw: Mike169: I'm from Calgary, Canada.. thanks for askingLiJxoIs.jpg and thanks for the tips! :)

Hi Gary.

Nice to know your repair went ok and that basically i was giving out the correct advise......of course it was impossible for me to tell you exactly where the problem was but at least my 'bad earth' comment led you along the right track.

All the best, Mike169

• Like 1