Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Discontinued

Devon Aygo

Toyota today published a bulletin announcing that they will no longer be taking factory orders for new IQ and that existing stock is expected to be depleted by late summer based on current sales activity.

Toyota stated that the extremely high Yen/£/Euro exchange rate has hampered sales growth, reducing orders and that upcoming EU regulations would require significant alterations increasing costs further.

They also discontinued the Dyna commercial vehicle for the same reasons.

Toyota expect the new Aygo, now available with much higher specifications to fill gap the and to increase sales far higher than IQ achieved.

Well, the IQ isn't exactly practical car. At least the Aygo has a small boot with reasonable room in the back for adults. The IQ was more expensive than the Aygo as well which didn't make sense.

No surprise there then.reckon my iq will last till I pack my current job in , then I'll just keep going with my discontinued 3 door rav.

Noticed ages ago that they were not available anymore on the Toyota.ie site

David

Well, the IQ isn't exactly practical car. At least the Aygo has a small boot with reasonable room in the back for adults. The IQ was more expensive than the Aygo as well which didn't make sense.

The IQ was from the outset designed as a big car in a small package, with far higher:

engineering - better built, safer 5 * encap, quieter, etc

quality - trim was better, finish was better, reliabilty is higher

equipment - cruise, keyless, climate, auto lights, auto wipers etc

standards than the current Aygo, the new Aygo can and does include all of the above.

• Thanks 1

I still think that the idea of making the IQ a 4 seater was completely bonkers, but am still sad that it is going away.

• Thanks 1

How can you say it is not practical?

If anyone bought an iQ and thought that, they bought the wrong car for their needs!

If you need to carry more than two people regularly, don't but an iQ.

If you need to carry bulky cargo, don't buy an iQ.

If you only need a second car for commuting to work and back and want fun to drive, BUY an iQ.

For me the iQ fitted my needs perfectly and still does, therefore it is very practical!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fortuneately my IQ is the last car I will own, When it's out of warranty it will go and I will stop driving. So I won't need another, which solves the problem as there is no other car I would now consider buying. I hope it lasts longer than me!

• Like 1

Won't be losing any sleep.

It was September 2013 when I married into the Eastern iQ bride scheme! I'd read all the courting pamphlets and Internet dating sites where they told me she was frugal, reliable and well supported by parental guarantees. After all, most of her siblings and friends were happy in their marriages. I have to say though, I was enticed and smitten by her extreme good looks and cracking little figure. Of course, I should never have judged this little book by its cover. Turns out she was a right cheating gas guzzling beeatch. Stole my money at the pump when I wasn't looking even though I fed her fuel, pumped her tyres, wiped her brow once a week with warm soapy water and a chamois, and checked her oil regularly as per her own pre-marital requirement. I even bought her a new set of shoes to change into right from the outset in case the ones she arrived in ever got scuffed. I was upset by this selfishness and so we had a bit of a separation and I got her air filter changed and took her back to her parents to get some TLC. They're traditional types who get a bit embarrassed by marital failure so refer to a daughter's return as a holiday or "annual service" rather than accept the reality of conflict. But I didn't blame them for that at the time.

Then they returned her back to me and things seemed okay for a bit until Fred Fuelly and a few other good friends told me she was cheating on me again and I caught her red-handed on February 4th returning only 27mpg of the 50 she'd promised during our courtship. But even her parents disowned her this time and refused to take her back (they'd repainted her old bedroom and got in a lodger to help pay the bills) and refused to repay her dowry. The last straw came when she started demanding more money - even suggesting that a friend's parents wanted a new designer handbag (by that prima donna outfit CVT) for £5600, hinting, in other words, that she might have to have a new one too. "Stuff that" I thought....

So now I'm applying for a divorce and no amount of marriage guidance will convince me otherwise. But even her friends have recently started to disown her and I'm worried that come the start of all the acrimony her own wealth will quickly start to diminish and I'm left with a parasite sponging off my estate. Might have to take her parents to court. But I'll certainly be writing to her Daddy's wedding organiser who now resides in Portsmouth.

So actually then, I might be losing loads of sleep! <gulps into his coffee>

Thanks Fred Fuelly, you were a good friend to me when I needed you.

I wonder if used IQ prices will increase or decrease now that you can no longer buy a new one ?

Any Views ?

Aww Ian,

what a sad story. I really can't understand why your fuel figures are as bad as they are? I've not done 1000 miles yet and am getting a regular 48 MPG. I also don't drive like the old fart that I am, I like to get on with it. So far so good, my IQ 3 is mostly excellent, apart from some minor design stupidities (in the interior) it's just what I wanted. The smart would only do around 26 MPG around town and little more on a motorway, but that small 600cc engine with a turbo and tuned to the max was to say the least, greedy on fuel.

So, what the IQ is doing to the gallon now on a tight engine is great and I don't have to use V Power fuel. I really feel there is a problem with your car and I'm beginning to think it's the auto gearbox Toyota use and if Toyota won't sort it, well a divorce is on the cards I suppose. My Smart had to go because it was old

and spares were getting expensive, (if I could actually get some of them) it was greedy, but oh what fun. If it wasn't we would have parted company a long time ago. OK, the IQ ain't so quick, but I am enjoying it, especially the manual gearbox and I've almost forgotten how to use a petrol pump!

I moved from a Smart to an IQ in 2011 after owning Smarts (3) for 10 years.

Two very different cars - the Smart was noisy, cramped and a very bumpy ride - plus dealers are few and far between.

The IQ (I've just bought my second one an IQ3) is the most comfy and fun small car I have driven - all the others look like cloned boxes.

And crucially, I can fit a full sheet of ply 1/4 sawn in the back and 2 metre lengths of pine - what more could you ask for eh :clap:

I am just hoping my new one will last for a good few years until another quirky ultra small car is released by someone other than Smart.

• Like 2

I wouldn't buy a replacement Smart because the current model was stopped
last September and are now only selling "specials" to use up
inventory. My wife has a 3 year old diesel Smart that's very intractable, it
has hard seats and is damn noisy in the cab. Not for me. Nor is the next generation
of the breed, these will use Renault engines and gearboxes. I will say no more
about that.

My IQ, as I said, isn't as quick, but it's one hell of a lot better, just

the seats alone, I don't even notice sitting in it, now that's comfortable. I
no longer have to visit a Chiropractor after going over a speed hump and I can
hear the radio. at 70 MPH.

It's a shame the IQ wasn't pushed a bit more commercially, as I'm sure if

more people tried them, loads more would have been sold.

• Like 1

I agree with Vox about the marketing of the IQ.

I was initially put off by the advertising that showed 4 people quite cramped in and with the front passenger sitting forward of the driver. I was instantly put off ever buying one ---- until I happened to see one and realised that the front seats could have a more usual configuration and that the back seats folded flat too.

There is certainly a market for a smaller car as so many "smaller" cars are actually quite big. Go back a couple of decades and they were smaller - the old mini for example.

• Like 2

The original Mini was slightly longer than the IQ - 3054mm (Mini) as opposed to 2985 (IQ). It is width and height where the IQ is larger - width Mini 1397mm, IQ 1680mm; height 1346mm (Mini) 1500mm (IQ).

Just illustrates what good packaging the Mini had 55 years ago.

• Like 2

Yes, my old mini in the late 1970's was great fun.

There used to be a car park in Leicester exclusively for short cars, I think it was for cars under 12 feet?

However, I didn't like the fact that the floor let in water and you could actually see the road through the rusty floor too!! :laughing:

• Like 1

It's strange, when I drive my IQ it feels like a normal size car and other
drivers seem to see it as that. My smart felt small and I was always trying to
be outsmarted! Bullied and generally treated like most treat a milk float. It
looked small, My 1959 Mini was fun, no brakes, no go and would kill at the
slightest bump. (no seatbelts) I only lost one friend to a Mini shunt, I guess
it could have been worse.

Alec Issigonis was a brilliant engineer, how many cars use the transverse front

wheel drive configuration now. the best thing is new cars are one hell of a lot
safer.

• Like 3

It is a shame that they are stopping production.

The IQ was never a cheap option.

It is a great car though. I have only ever needed to have two people in it and have never found it small. As long as you down look behind you it feels just like a normal size car.

I have never felt intimidated by other vehicles when driving it on motorways.

For a little 1L engine it is amazing to drive at 90mpg (I imagine) and not feel like it's getting stressed.

The only thing that bugged me about it was, no glove box.

• Like 2

Not sure that they are stopping production. The reasons cited for the withdrawal are the exchange rates between the Yen and the European currencies (same as with the Verso S and the Urban Cruiser), low sales volumes and forthcoming European legislation. It is conceivable that they may continue with the IQ or a replacement in Japan/US.

The Aygo is a European market model, so won't replace the IQ outside Europe. Toyota already have alternatives to the Aygo in the Asian markets built for them by Daihatsu, but nothing else at the premium end of the city car segment.

• Like 1

Re the 1.3 vvti manual and the tight engine and not great fuel consumption or not nippy enough for UK NSL's etc.

Sounds like it needs driven normally now the newness is off the tyres, brakes, suspension and drivetrain,

give it some revs, it does not have an engine needing grannying and running in.

While the 1.0 Multidrives can be more economical,

and difficult to get poor really poor consumption from.

Surely you buy the iQ3 rather than a iQ2 because you expected more go, well its there if you put the throttle down more.

Again just personally, i prefer the 1.0 3 cylinder over a 1.3 4 cylinder.

george

• Like 1

The 1.33 surely is an engine that loves to be revved! From standing start if you take her up to 6000 rpm in first and second and third if you have enough clear road to do so it is amazing how fast it pick up its heels. Or even doing a steady 40 in 5th or 6th, drop it to second gear and she loves to overtake.

NB: All obviously safety permitting and the speed limit allows you to do so safely :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Auw... that hurts...

It's really a way better car than the Aygo... Aygo has no CVT...and no keyless-entry ..and not near the quality of an iQ...

"A proud owner of an iQ" :-)

• Like 4

In Europe and Japan the IQ is targeted towards the premium end of the City car sector. Much in the same way that manufacturers like Fiat have the Panda and the 500.

One of the issues that Toyota have with the IQ in Europe is that it has been left to 'wither on the vine' since September 2010 - which was the last update, where the interior was revised and Euro 5 compliant engines introduced. So to a degree it has fallen behind the times, and with legislation changes due in November, would require an expensive update in order to remain on sale. Add in falling sales volumes, and, for Europe, viability is questionable.

Contrast that with the Aygo and Yaris - both have received regular updates to keep them looking fresh, the mid-life facelift of the Yaris is shortly to be launched, etc.

• Like 1

It's really sad to see the IQ go. I've never owned one but I think it is one of THE coolest cars Toyota has ever made. It has character by the bucket load - because of it's quirky looks and it's flaws. (Do you remember the last time you read a really good book or watched an awesome film with a flawless main character? - nope, didn't think so. Because it's boring!)

I'm part of the stats though. I helped kill the IQ. I was so close to buying one but the small fuel tank meant I would need to fill it up every other day.

Looking to the future then - what has Mr T up his sleeve for modern city dwellers? Bring on the i-Road!

• Like 2

For Europe it will be the next generation Aygo (launch date 21st & 22nd June 2014) - the higher level versions to fill the gap left by the IQ.

Think for the US and Japan, the IQ will continue.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links