Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Discontinued

Devon Aygo

For Europe it will be the next generation Aygo (launch date 21st & 22nd June 2014) - the higher level versions to fill the gap left by the IQ.

Think for the US and Japan, the IQ will continue.

Ah yes I meant to say - ignoring the Aygo.

You see I think the IQ tried to fill two roles. It was aimed to be the ultra efficient city transportation while also doubling as a regular car. It kind of ended up somewhere in between.

Now we will have the Aygo as the car and maybe the I-road as the city transportation.

Got to love the IQ though...

That said the new Aygo is looking great. Let's hope it has some love inducing flaws...

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

The iQ should have been branded as a "Lexus"... and never ever as a Toyota...

Here mine... DSC_0591_zpsdda5081c.jpg

• Like 1

Is that your lunchbox?

• Like 2

It's instead of a glove box... :clap:

• Like 2

In Europe and Japan the IQ is targeted towards the premium end of the City car sector. Much in the same way that manufacturers like Fiat have the Panda and the 500.

One of the issues that Toyota have with the IQ in Europe is that it has been left to 'wither on the vine' since September 2010 - which was the last update, where the interior was revised and Euro 5 compliant engines introduced. So to a degree it has fallen behind the times, and with legislation changes due in November, would require an expensive update in order to remain on sale. Add in falling sales volumes, and, for Europe, viability is questionable.

Contrast that with the Aygo and Yaris - both have received regular updates to keep them looking fresh, the mid-life facelift of the Yaris is shortly to be launched, etc.

What are the new legislation's in November that would require the iQ to be changed?

Two of the main requirements that I'm aware of, is noise reduction requirements for vehicles and the installation of tyre pressure monitoring systems - both of which become mandatory in November 2014.

Additionally, and this will affect diesel engined IQ's, Euro 6 standards come into force from January 2015.

When Toyota announced the discontinuation of the IQ, their stated reasons were:

Toyota stated that the extremely high Yen/£/Euro exchange rate has hampered sales growth, reducing orders and that upcoming EU regulations would require significant alterations increasing costs further.

• Like 1

Tyre pressure monitoring is a legal requirement in the US already so I'm guessing their Scion IQ has it.

But you're right about Euro 6 diesel compliance making it almost impossible to add to the small IQ at reasonable cost.

To those who don't know, the Euro6 diesel compliance significantly cleans up diesel emissions, bring them down to petrol levels for NOX and significantly below petrol for soot. Euro 5 diesel by comparison would emit at least 20x more NOx than a petrol car and more soot too.

Euro 6 diesel is a big improvement but will probably add cost to diesel car costs. I'm guessing the diesel IQ is a seller in Europe.

Still think Toyota UK things too much in trying to harmonise with Europe too much. I think UK car needs are different and this 'one size fits all' limits our choices. The IQ had something about it and could be a future classic.

• Like 2

There is perhaps a slight hope left ? Only very slight !

All these new regulations I think are dream't up by a bunch beaurocrats in Brussels, If by chance the UK get's out of the EU then they would not call the shots. and if UKIP got in to power we would tell the EU to go and get stuffed !

Perhaps the the IQ could come back to UK ?

A long shot I know but just an idea !

• Like 1

Our vehicles would probably still have to be EU compliant. But maybe it would make it easier for manufacturers to import a wider range without having to be a 'one size fits all of Europe' as it is now.

Toyota Australia have some nice looking cars. The IQ, some of the other cars from Toyota Japan could be nice too. I think Toyota are also getting rid of the IQ for political reasons too. The Aygo is built in Europe and they want to support those jobs, esp as sales are low and Toyota are still losing market share.

• Like 1

House keeping completed to keep the topic on track... ;)

Sometimes I fear you wield your scythe too freely.

I just removed the UKIP references

It's a tough job but someone has to do it :lol:

• 2 months later...

I copied an article into another topic regarding the British built Auris replacing the Scion xB - the same article mentions towards the end that the Scion IQ is being discontinued at the end of 2014. See: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/scion-xb-said-to-be-replaced-by-toyota-auris-next-year-84511.html

This is just !Removed! terrible ... :death:

But we all new it a long time... :dontgetit:

I don't think the AYGO can ever replace the IQ. We should all write to Toyota and remove our names from their mailing lists. The IQ is in a league of its own. Sure it is more thirsty than it should be, but its just great to drive. It feels like a big car even though its a small car. There is more room in the front of it than my mercedes e class! Definitely a sad day when Toyota decided to axe it.

• Like 2

To lift the spirits a bit, I just would like to mention that we took delivery of a brand spanking new iQ2 this week.

It's awesome squared! (See what I did there?:)

I've wanted to get one since they came out but my requirements have prevented me from getting one. Now my mother in law got one and my kids thinks it's the coolest car on the planet. Yay!

So it may be a doomed model but it is loved and not dead yet...

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I purchased my first IQ new in March 2013 (pearl white) and was previously a member of this forum until my details were lost in a server failure.

I visited my Toyota dealer last week to view the Aygo but was not impressed, the build quality was no match for the IQ. I was told the IQ was being discontinued so ordered a new one which I took delivery of today, a nice chilly red IQ CVT.

No regrets about buying a discontinued model. Over 40 years of motoring driving many different cars large and small, none have been as much fun as the IQ.

End of an era.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Discontinuing the IQ - Toyota must be crazy = fantastic car. My IQ2 auto with leather seats is fantastic and drives like a much larger car, build quality is superb much better than the Aygo. Love driving this beauty even if it is my wife's car. 50mpg and park it anywhere.

• Like 2

Economic factors are as much to blame as anything - expensive to manufacture and export to Europe from Japan due to the unfavourable exchange rate between the Yen and European currencies, a relatively low volume seller in recent years, coming to the end of its production life (has been in production since 2008), and, needs to be updated to meet new EU legislation.

Hmm... "end of production life" and "needs to be updated" .... wtf kind of an expression is this?

Look at the Smart... in production from 1998 (I think) and still going strong. New models on the 21 of November... even electric ones...

I have a 2002 model and still doing fine.

There are no "small" cars left.....

If they get more expensive due to transportation, then make ik a... a niche product. Cause it's really sooo much better than the Aygo. And some people will still buy this.

I mean... the more expensive cars from abroud are still being sold...

These days, most cars would be replaced by the manufacturer after 7 or 8 years. I presume the iQ will live on in Japan for another year or so, if there's sufficient demand.

One thing the iQ didn't get was an exterior facelift after 3 or 4 years of production, which is kind of unusual.

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ keyless entry ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

• Like 1

Hmm... "end of production life" and "needs to be updated" .... wtf kind of an expression is this?

Look at the Smart... in production from 1998 (I think) and still going strong. New models on the 21 of November... even electric ones...

I have a 2002 model and still doing fine.

There are no "small" cars left.....

If they get more expensive due to transportation, then make ik a... a niche product. Cause it's really sooo much better than the Aygo. And some people will still buy this.

I mean... the more expensive cars from abroud are still being sold...

Toyota usually adopts a production life or cycle for their models of approx 6/7 years, before replacement. They have said that production of the IQ will cease at the end of 2014 - giving a production life of approx 7 years. Other examples: the first generation Auris was introduced in February 2007 and replaced in December 2012; the current Avensis was introduced in 2009 and is supposedly to be replaced by a facelifted version with BMW diesel engines in 2015 (though is rumoured to stay in production only until 2018 or so).

There are exceptions to this - the first generation Aygo, which is made not by Toyota but the Joint Venture with PSA, had a production life from 2005 to 2014.

Toyota stated when they announced the discontinuation of the IQ in some European markets that they weren't going to update the IQ to meet forthcoming EU legislation due to the unfavourable exchange rates , which makes the IQ expensive for them to export Japanese-built models to Europe, and the low sales volumes.

As regards Smart, the first generation ForTwo production life ran from 1998 to 2007, and the second generation from 2007 to 2014. The third generation co-developed with Renault, commenced production in 2014.

• Like 2

It's all political. Toyota appear to be Europeanising their range at the expense of Japanese built cars. Now maybe that's to support the European investment in factories, but the Aygo (even the new one) is not a Toyota. It feels like a cheap French econobox and that's exactly what it is. No proper automatic either. Why are Toyota insisting on these dreadful robot manuals? I digress.

It has nothing to do with currency fluctuations as such. These fluctuations are no worse than they have been in the last 50 years that Toyota have been selling cars in the UK.

There is a post on the Prius forum too about Toyota trying to out price that car to make the Euro built Yaris and Auris hybrids sell, despite them getting much worse real world fuel economy. On there it was also said it was currency issues that cause the Prius be expensive and the range to start at £22k. Rubbish. It's Toyota UK pricing it up high. Sales have collapsed in the last 4 years as the cost went up. The currency excuse sounds plausible until you realise that the more expensive, premium branded Lexus CT200h which is essentially a Prius/Auris underneath costs £1,000 LESS than a base Prius. Yet in the US it's about £4,000 (£'s not $'s) more expensive. The CT200h is also imported from Japan, is a higher quality brand and should cost much more. It doesn't, so something somewhere is amiss.

Toyota UK don't want their Japanese built cars. Trouble is, that's the bl**dy reason a lot of people buy Toyota! The Japanese built cars have always been reliable. The Auris seems to suffer some issues and just look have many problems come up with the Aygo if you care to search.

So I doubt it's currency and all to do with keeping the Unionised factories going in the economic failure of mainland Europe.

• Like 1

The main reason Daihatsu pulled out of Europe was to do with exchange rates - "In January 2011, Daihatsu announced that it would pull out of Europe by 2013, citing the persistently strong yen which makes it difficult for the company to make a profit from its export business."

Went through the same trauma when they discontinued the 3 door rav, 'only sold in the uk' was the excuse, and' not enough sales', well I've got the best pair of discontinued toyotas ever, a late production 3 door rav xtr and an iq3 .

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links