Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2008 Sat Nav Unit Problem

mantas0815

hello, iv disconnected Battery of my avensis 2008 and now the head unit with flip screen not working, the screen tilted down and wont work at all, only an error message appears on the screen saying (a program cannot be read, please contact dealer)
along with chineese writing. there was no dvd disc in it before but it was working fine except navigation didnt work which i didnt need. now it does not work at all and wont even close flip screen, 2 pics attached show how the stereo looked before i disconnected Battery and after. note. both times there was no maps dvd in it, is there a way to start it up again ? without maps dvd ?

post-139280-0-48856700-1395513145_thumb.

post-139280-0-55697800-1395513151_thumb.

Insert any dvd into the map slot. This may jolt it into closing the front panel. It might be a default to open up when the Battery is disconnected?

iv tried a dvd disc, black screen came up and after a min the error popped up again, when i connected the Battery i pressed the open button it opened and instantly the error came up and the screen stayed the way its in the pic, iv tried the hard reset too but with no luck, its in that position and with the error on the screen

anyone know do i have to get maps dvd in order for the unit to work at all ? do they not work without dvd maps ? not even the radio works

anyone know do i have to get maps dvd in order for the unit to work at all ? do they not work without dvd maps ? not even the radio works

When the unit is fully powered down it needs a sat nav disc to enable it to boot up, once it is booted up the disc can be removed and the audio side of things will continue to operate normally, until the unit looses power again. You need a correct nav disc to boot up and it will not work until then.

that explains everything, thanks for the help.

will (east ) maps work in ireland (west) just to boot the sat nav up again ? or does it have to be the specific region disk?

Any region disc should boot the system for you

i have ordered east region disc, and post back here if everything works out, thanks for all the help

i have used the following disc with no luck whatsoever, is this the right disc for this sat nav unit ? i believe mine is tns700 but the disc is tns300 does that mean it wont work ?

post-139280-0-37521600-1395850512_thumb.

post-139280-0-21125000-1395850539_thumb.

http://www.satnav-update.com/toyota-32-c.asp

20140326_165009_zps24d80fec.jpg

These are the discs in my unit which is the same as yours. Can't say if installing those will solve your problem. They come up on eBay occasionally - you can also buy cheaper after - market discs.

http://www.satnav-update.com/toyota-32-c.asp

20140326_165009_zps24d80fec.jpg

These are the discs in my unit which is the same as yours. Can't say if installing those will solve your problem. They come up on ebay occasionally - you can also buy cheaper after - market discs.

these are the ones that were meant to be in my avensis too, i do believe that the tns300 wont work in what we have. the tns700, i have ordered tns700 dvd disc on eBay and i do believe that should solve the mystery. il post it back here as soon as i receive it.

hi i was told by sombody that if you buy of the net it might not work he told me to go to main dealer which can be expensive cos ive got the same problem the only diffrence is iv got a total black screen and dont know why i can here it trying to work

i have received (east) dvd maps even tho im from ireland which is west but it worked perfect and booted up the sat nav in seconds which is great. Before, i went to main dealer and they told me they cant do anything, told me to ring toyota dealer in belfast which i did and they even charge just for asking...so i went on eBay and got tns 700 maps dvd, turns out that was the problem all i had to do is get any tns700 maps dvd for my tns700 sat nav unit, i tried tns300 maps dvd but it did not work, only tns700 maps dvd for tns700 unit.

hi i was told by sombody that if you buy of the net it might not work he told me to go to main dealer which can be expensive cos ive got the same problem the only diffrence is iv got a total black screen and dont know why i can here it trying to work

mine also sounded like it was spinning something inside, thats the sat nav trying to say (insert disc), i advise you to also get any tns700 maps dvd and try it, if its the same sat nav as mine in the pics above

hi mantis i took mine to a audio eletriction unfortunatley the !Removed! lcd screen has gone f*** knows how that happend so i managed i win one on eBay along with the disc a pricey way to go but hope it works lol

will let you know when it arrives ,

so all i have to do is connect it up then put the disc in and it should work is that right.

hi mantis i took mine to a audio eletriction unfortunatley the !Removed! lcd screen has gone f*** knows how that happend so i managed i win one on ebay along with the disc a pricey way to go but hope it works lol

will let you know when it arrives ,

so all i have to do is connect it up then put the disc in and it should work is that right.

hi, yeah thats correct just connect it all back up and put the dvd in and it should boot up in few minutes. make sure the disc is as in above posts, as i tried older model maps but they didnt work

• Like 1

yey cheers bud i receved my new head unit and it works a treat cheers for getting back to me bud

god its good to have music in my car lol

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much for your efforts here. I have just followed your advice and my radio works and oddly so does my sat nav ... so far.

all the best

mike... ciderman ...whatever.

• 2 years later...

Hi wonder if anyone can help with a similar sort of problem with the same system. I took my DVD Sat Nav discs cause I was finding the numbers for each disc so I could look up the update discs plus prices. I took the disc out, cleaned it (plus took down the number) then reinserted it back into the slot. It took it in whirred then went in and out a couple times before spitting the disc back out. The eject button flashes when it's doing this plus if the eject is pressed it 'ejects' even though the dischool isn't in the slot. I tried a disc in the CD slot and that one works perfectly. Is there a possibility that the mechanism has got gummed up with dirt (?), the disc when I ejected it cleaned it was filthy!

Any idea?? 

• 1 year later...

I was having problems with the sat nav dvd not being read. I managed to take my stay nav radio not out after following a  You Tube video. My unit was not showing sat nav info. So......I took it apart. Not too difficult once you figure out the little Philips head screws. The cd player and dvd (sat nav) sit one atop the other. The cd player lifts off slowly because there's a blue ribbon connector which pulls out when the cd unit is lifted about an inch or so. There are a couple of screws at the front of the cd unit and you can lift the top metal panel to about 45 degrees to get inside. The cd spring loaded clamp lifts gently about 10 degrees to free a trapped Cd. The laser assembly is at about the 2 o'clock position and the laser tracks in at about a 10 o'clock direction. If you were not prepared to remove the unit and take it apart, you might be able to luckily clean the laser with an extra long cotton bud dipped in alcohol. Aim for the centre to 2 o'clock area and the laser assembly looks hoover, of course.

I remembered to take a few photos along the way and I'm happy to try and help anyone out who lives in the Teesside area.

Hope this helps.

OpI was having problems with the sat nav dvd not being read. I managed to take my stay nav radio not out after following a  You Tube video. My unit was not showing sat nav info. So......I took it apart. Not too difficult once you figure out the little Philips head screws. The cd player and dvd (sat nav) sit one atop the other. The cd player lifts off slowly because there's a blue ribbon connector which pulls out when the cd unit is lifted about an inch or so. There are a couple of screws at the front of the cd unit and you can lift the top metal panel to about 45 degrees to get inside. The cd spring loaded clamp lifts gently about 10 degrees to free a trapped Cd. The laser assembly is at about the 2 o'clock position . If you were not prepared to remove the unit and take it apart, you might be able to luckily clean the laser with an extra long cotton bud dipped in alcohol. Aim for the centre to 2 o'clock area to be in the area the laser tracks.

I remembered to take a few photos along the way and I'm happy to try and help anyone out who lives in the Teesside area.

Hope this helps.

Pic 1 is the unit taken out f it's cradle which also holds the heater controls. I have shown the  4 screws to take the top off.

Pics 2 and 3 show the screws to remove from the sides to release the upper cradle. Do this slowly because a ribbon cable from the dvd player to the electronics in the bottom of the unit

The cd player sits on top of the dvd player and prises off. There is a blue tipped ribbon cable from the cd player which goes around the dvd player to the electronics under the dvd player. 

Pic 4 shows the long blue tipped ribbon cable after the cd and dvd units have been lifted out. At the bottom of pic 4 you can see the wider ribbon connector socket for the shorter ribbon cable from the dvd unit.

Pic 5 shows the dvd ribbon connector to the left of the pic it is the brown slot appearing vertically. Also seen near the top of pic 5 is the gearing which opens and closes the panel. If your panel sticks in the horizontal open position, it can be gently pushed back to vertical if you lift the top of the panel near the top, nearest the unit when it is open and both sides simultaneously.

Pic 6 shows the dvd unit. To get in, there are 2 tiny Phillips screws at the top of the front. With these removed, you can gently hinge it open from the front edge to about 45 degrees allowing access inside. Careful for the booby traps,Indy!

Pic 7 shows the dvd unit with the top held open at about 45 degrees.

If you have a disc in it, you can gently prise the plastic and metal 'tongue' which clamps the centre of the dvd. You can only move it up by about 5 or 6 degrees against it's spring but it is enough to allow the dvd to be gentle pulled out. Careful not to scratch the underside of the dvd.

If yours was not reading the dvd with the 'go to dealer's error message in English and Japanese, it is most likely that the dvd laser needs cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or method with a cotton bud, gently! Also, if you peer into the diagonal space where the laser is, you will see  the 2 metal rods the laser assembly travels on. If you are very careful, can a bit of wd40 on the tracks. DO NOT spray wd40 because you risk coating the laser which will probably be fatal.

You will need,

Nerves of steel

Your reading glasses.

A trim pry tool, I used a credit card, to release the cupholder piece of trim.

See You Tube videos to remove Avensis Sat Nav. Mine is 2007 reg. This guide is possibly no use for the newer model.

A small bright lamp and/or head torch

A magnetic 10 mm socket on a longish screwdriver to get the sat nav and heater assembly out of the car. Put masking tape on the trim either side of the sat nav and heater because the metal cradle can scratch the trim on the way out.I also put a microfibre cloth in the hole in front of the gear lever in case a bolt did fall down there.

An 8 mm socket for the cradle bolts.

Small Phillips head and small 'jewellers' size Phillips head for the tiny screws to release the dvd unit top panel.

Top tip, if you get in and are relocating the wide dvd ribbon cable, put it into the base unit socket (which I've pictured) first. Then thread it through the slot and locate it in the dvd unit because access is nigh on impossible (unless you're Ant Man) the other way around by trying to locate the cable internet the bottom of the unit last.

Other spring cleaning you can do is to dab some wd40 on the gears that open and close the panel and check the long thin mangle type roller that feeds the disc in, for fluff and stuff. I did not put anything on this roller because I think it is meant to be 'soft rubber' tacky and anything on the roller would transfer to the disc. If yours is dirty, a soapy finger as you turn it and then blow dry, not tissue or anything that may leave residue.

IMG_20190119_191245_155.jpg

IMG_20190119_193349_483.jpg

IMG_20190119_192815_409.jpg

IMG_20190119_192500_067.jpg

IMG_20190119_192306_923.jpg

IMG_20190119_192044_025.jpg

IMG_20190119_191907_794.jpg

OpI was having problems with the sat nav dvd not being read. I managed to take my stay nav radio not out after following a  You Tube video. My unit was not showing sat nav info. So......I took it apart. Not too difficult once you figure out the little Philips head screws. The cd player and dvd (sat nav) sit one atop the other. The cd player lifts off slowly because there's a blue ribbon connector which pulls out when the cd unit is lifted about an inch or so. There are a couple of screws at the front of the cd unit and you can lift the top metal panel to about 45 degrees to get inside. The cd spring loaded clamp lifts gently about 10 degrees to free a trapped Cd. The laser assembly is at about the 2 o'clock position . If you were not prepared to remove the unit and take it apart, you might be able to luckily clean the laser with an extra long cotton bud dipped in alcohol. Aim for the centre to 2 o'clock area to be in the area the laser tracks.

Hope this helps.

Pic 1 is the unit taken out f it's cradle which also holds the heater controls. I have shown the  4 screws to take the top off.

Pics 2 and 3 show the screws to remove from the sides to release the upper cradle. Do this slowly because a ribbon cable from the dvd player to the electronics in the bottom of the unit

The cd player sits on top of the dvd player and prises off. There is a blue tipped ribbon cable from the cd player which goes around the dvd player to the electronics under the dvd player. 

Pic 4 shows the long blue tipped ribbon cable after the cd and dvd units have been lifted out. At the bottom of pic 4 you can see the wider ribbon connector socket for the shorter ribbon cable from the dvd unit.

Pic 5 shows the dvd ribbon connector to the left of the pic it is the brown slot appearing vertically. Also seen near the top of pic 5 is the gearing which opens and closes the panel. If your panel sticks in the horizontal open position, it can be gently pushed back to vertical if you lift the top of the panel near the top, nearest the unit when it is open and both sides simultaneously.

Pic 6 shows the dvd unit. To get in, there are 2 tiny Phillips screws at the top of the front. With these removed, you can gently hinge it open from the front edge to about 45 degrees allowing access inside. Careful for the booby traps,Indy!

If you have a disc in it, you can gently prise the plastic and metal 'tongue' which clamps the centre of the dvd. You can only move it up by about 5 or 6 degrees against it's spring but it is enough to allow the dvd to be gentle pulled out. Careful not to scratch the underside of the dvd.

If yours was not reading the dvd with the 'go to dealer's error message in English and Japanese, it is most likely that the dvd laser needs cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or method with a cotton bud, gently! Also, if you peer into the diagonal space where the laser is, you will see  the 2 metal rods the laser assembly travels on. If you are very careful, can a bit of wd40 on the tracks. DO NOT spray wd40 because you risk coating the laser which will probably be fatal.

You will need,

Nerves of steel

Your reading glasses.

A trim pry tool, I used a credit card, to release the cupholder piece of trim.

See You Tube videos to remove Avensis Sat Nav. Mine is 2007 reg. This guide is possibly no use for the newer model.

A magnetic 10 mm socket on a longish screwdriver to get the sat nav and heater assembly out of the car. Put masking tape on the trim either side of the sat nav and heater because the metal cradle can scratch the trim on the way out.I also put a microfibre cloth in the hole in front of the gear lever in case a bolt did fall down there.

Small Phillips head and small 'jewellers' size Phillips head for the tiny screws to release the dvd unit top panel.

Top tip, if you get in and are relocating the wide dvd ribbon cable, put it into the base unit socket (which I've pictured) first. Then thread it through the slot and locate it in the dvd unit because access is nigh on impossible (unless you're Ant Man) the other way around by trying to locate the cable internet the bottom of the unit last.

Other spring cleaning you can do is to dab some wd40 on the gears that open and close the panel and check the long thin mangle type roller that feeds the disc in, for fluff and stuff. I did not put anything on this roller because I think it is meant to be 'soft rubber' tacky and anything on the roller would transfer to the disc. If yours is dirty, a soapy finger as you turn it and then blow dry, not tissue or anything that may leave residue.

I realised I had not mentioned 2 screws which are recessed in 2 holes on the back of the unit and I've arrowed these which hold the cd/dvd trade in place. There are also black plastic lugs at either side of the front screen assembly which need to be gently prised off the metal chassis.

I have added a revised pic 1 showing where the recessed screws are.

IMG_20190120_222537_607.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys and gals, I noticed some typos above and have corrected below,

I was having problems with the sat nav dvd not being read. I managed to take my  sat nav unit out after following a  You Tube video

My unit was not showing sat nav info. So......I took it apart. Not too difficult once you figure out the little Philips head screws. The cd player and dvd (sat nav) sit in a metal cradle one atop the other.

The cradle is held by screws to the sides of the unit and 2 recessed screws at the back. 

The cd player lifts off slowly because there's a blue ribbon connector which pulls out when the cd unit is lifted about an inch or so. There are a couple of screws at the front of the cd unit and you can lift the top metal panel to about 45 degrees to get inside.

If you have a disc stuck inside, the cd spring loaded clamp lifts gently about 10 degrees to free the disc. The laser assembly is at about the 2 o'clock position . If you were not prepared to remove the unit and take it apart, you might be able to luckily clean the laser with an extra long cotton bud dipped in alcohol. Aim it flat as if you are following the plane of a loaded cd for the centre to 2 o'clock area to be in the area where the laser tracks.

Hope this helps.

Pic 1 is the unit taken out of it's cradle which also holds the heater controls. I have shown the  4 screws to take the top off.

Pics 2 and 3 show the screws to remove from the sides to release the cradle. Note the 2 recessed screws on the back panel in the extra pic below. Do this slowly because there is a ribbon cable from the dvd player in the cradle to the electronics in the bottom of the unit

The cd player sits on top of the dvd player and prises off. There is a blue tipped ribbon cable from the cd player which goes around the dvd player to the electronicsunder the dvd player. 

If yours was not reading the dvd with the 'go to dealer's error message in English and Japanese, it is most likely that the dvd laser needs cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or meths with a cotton bud, gently! Also, if you peer into the diagonal space where the laser is, you will see  the 2 metal rods the laser assembly travels on. If you are very careful, can dab a bit of wd40 onto the tracks. DO NOT spray wd40 because you risk coating the laser which will probably be fatal.

You will need,

Nerves of steel

Your reading glasses.

A trim pry tool, I used a credit card, to release the cupholder piece of trim in the car.

Small Phillips head and also small 'jewellers' size Phillips head for the tiny screws to release the dvd unit top panel.

Top tip, if you get in and are relocating the wide dvd ribbon cable, put it into the base unit socket (which I've pictured) first. Then thread it through the slot and locate it in the dvd unit because access is nigh on impossible (unless you're Ant Man) the other way around by trying to locate the cable internet the bottom of the unit last.

Other spring cleaning you can do is to dab some wd40 on the gears that open and close the panel and check the long thin mangle type roller that feeds the disc in, for fluff and stuff. I did not put anything on this roller because I think it is meant to be 'soft rubber' tacky and anything on the roller would transfer to the disc. If yours is dirty, a soapy finger as you turn it and then blow dry, not tissue or anything that may leave residue.

I realised I had not mentioned 2 screws which are recessed in 2 holes on the back of the unit and I've arrowed these which hold the cd/dvd trade in place. There arealso black plastic lugs at either side of the front screen assembly which need to be gently prised off the metal chassis.

I have added a revised pic 1 showing where the recessed screws are.

• 1 year later...

Hi I have a Toyota auris 2007 2.2 d2d and I'm getting the same message. There is a cd Inside and I can hear the dvd trying to load but nothing happens.

can anyone advise which satnav dvd I would need ? 

The dvd that's inside is Europe A 

86271 53031 

2006 2007 V2

Please can any help which disc do I need as there are many different ones on eBay 

Thanks in advance 

Shaz

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links