Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Auris - Delayed Delivery

Dabooka

As some of you may recall, recently the missus and I took the decision to buy a new Auris (1.4 diesel). Well since ordering it mid February, we've not heard a peep, and as we were expecting a date sometime mid-late March, SWMBO got in touch with the dealer for an update.

Well, after a little bit of checking with Toyota, the dealer has replied to say that 'Toyota are delaying all deliveries until the revised facelift in June' which seems odd. The dealership are baffled and have
vowed to find out more next week, as they acknoweldge it's odd and need to know themselves.

So, any thoughts? Why facelift a new model so soon? I wonder if it may be linked to the engine deal with BMW that was discussed?

Cheers,

Dabooka

The current Auris isn't actually as new as people surmise - it is a heavily revised version of the first generation Auris, and has carried forward the original Type Approval from the first generation Auris - dating back to 2007.

Given that it has carried forward the Type Approval from the first generation, it doesn't have to satisfy EU legislation for items like tyre pressure monitoring systems until November 2014.

It will make sense for Toyota to revise models before November to incorporate the latest EU legislative requirements, and also make changes to specifications (mechanical, trim and equipment) at the same time.

The Yaris is due a mid-life facelift later this year - again it would make sense for Toyota to do this early in conjunction with similar changes which are required by legislation.

• Like 2

Good info Frostyballs.

But you would have thought that Toyota would have incorporated all these directives/changes into the latest model. The Touring Sports version only came out in mid 2013, so very odd that there will be changes a year after launch.

Hope the changes are not too severe as I thought I had the latest model, and don't like driving an out of date version so soon after purchase.

Nothing on the net though about this - which is unusual.

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt and comprehensive response!

It does seem a little bizarre though that they'd be advertising so heavily the 'new' Auris and then put back all new orders. And I'd have thought it'd have made more sense to incorporate these changes before relaunching it.

I'll keep the board updated with whatever the dealer comes back with.

Dabooka.

As if to mock me, I've just been informed whilst watching The Spy Who Loved Me that the Toyota Auris sponsors ITV Movies :laughing:

Probably down to economics, and this is common to other manufacturers. Why incorporate systems a year or more before you have to - especially where they may mean the cost of the finished product has to increase, and affect the perceived competitiveness of your product.

Also with the Auris, as Dabooka has said, this may coincide with the introduction of the BMW diesel engine(s) - in either 1.6 or 2.0 versions.

The June 'facelift' may only be an adjustment of specs, rather than major changes to the appearance. Bear in mind that by June the Auris hatchback will have been on the market for 19 months - so may be due some tinkering.

Just hope they leave the TS alone then.

Perhaps the clock will make it into the 21st century

I know that the clock has come in lots of criticism, but I actually like it. Easy to read for both passenger and driver (and not stuck at the bottom of the speedo or on the radio face).

It's old school retro. In fact, it's almost identical to the one I had in my Mk1 MR2s, and most Toyotas from around that era I suspect.

Well as long as the price doesn't change and they honour my trade in, I can wait a few months. Especially if it is linked to the engine as I find the 1.4 a little flat, but the missus is happy with it and it's her car!

I think now that the delay could be something to do with the Auris upgrading the 1.4 to a 1.6 diesel, as Frostyballs pointed out, and would be surprised if any other changes apply.

However, if the petrol and Hybrid version are delayed as well, that kicks my theory into touch.

I think now that the delay could be something to do with the Auris upgrading the 1.4 to a 1.6 diesel, as Frostyballs pointed out, and would be surprised if any other changes apply.

However, if the petrol and Hybrid version are delayed as well, that kicks my theory into touch.

It's my theory (and hope) too, and I've asked my missus to ask if it's all models or just the diesel that's delayed.

At a best guess the revisions will be minor:

Possible addition of BMW diesel

Inclusion of Tyre pressure monitoring system

Inclusion of Touch & Go 2

Revisions to the 1.4 d as with latest Yaris lowering CO2 and increasing fuel economy

At the moment though this is all pure speculation, Toyota will issue a bulletin nearer the launch date.

It's my theory (and hope) too, and I've asked my missus to ask if it's all models or just the diesel that's delayed.

All models can be affected, production of current models has stopped and new models are being made now, Toyota issued a bulletin to dealers last month listing what stock levels where left and stating that all other options will have to wait for new model launch around June time.

Orders that cannot be fulfilled now and factory orders will be substituted with the latest spec and price promised aswell, orders taken after the bulletin was released are not included in the price promise.

• Like 1

Cheers Devon, most interesting. No mention of the bulletin by our supplying dealer; do you have any idea when last month it was announced? We're curious now about what side of the date our order lies!

Cheers Devon, most interesting. No mention of the bulletin by our supplying dealer; do you have any idea when last month it was announced? We're curious now about what side of the date our order lies!

Just found the bulletin which was dated 24/02/2014. It contains snippets such as

New wheel designs

New Tungsten blue colour

Touch 2 & Touch & Go 2

Due to low take up the following have been dropped and will not continued in 2014 MY

Park assist option deleted

Comfort pack option on Icon deleted

All Sport grades incl options deleted

• Like 1

Hi Devon,

Yet again, thanks for the info. I don't believe the dealer was unaware now, they would have got this the week after we signed. Well it'll be interesting to see what they come back with, and then we can decide what to do.

I have nothing but bother with cars.......

Maybe its to do with the April 1st price rise!!!

Maybe its to do with the April 1st price rise!!!

Well they do say orders based before the bulletin will be honoured at those prices, so that's some good news. I think the missus will look elsewhere now to be honest.

Hi Devon,

Yet again, thanks for the info. I don't believe the dealer was unaware now, they would have got this the week after we signed. Well it'll be interesting to see what they come back with, and then we can decide what to do.

If your order was placed a week before the the bulletin was issued you should be getting the car you ordered as the bulletin was a order cutoff so orders before then would be fulfilled, however it seems you have ordered something that requires a factory build which will incur a wait as it is built

Hi Devon,

If your order was placed a week before the the bulletin was issued you should be getting the car you ordered as the bulletin was a order cutoff so orders before then would be fulfilled, however it seems you have ordered something that requires a factory build which will incur a wait as it is built
Sorry for the delay, but yes it was an order. The dealer did say that we could have had a standard spec sooner, and he did notify us of a 6-8 wk lead time on special orders. I'm more annoyed they're acting bemused when the bulletin appears to be very clear. SWMBO is going to chase them up later, I can't wait for their response!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to be low on the uptake

I can't understand why they're facelifting already; as Frostyballs has eluded to, I wonder whether the 'family' look will carry forwards?!

Anyone got any other info on the Auris facelift atm?

Think it depends on the depth of the facelift - which could just be an adjustment of specs.

Toyota have to make some changes to the Auris during 2014 in order to comply with legislation coming into force on 1st November 2014 - so why not give the model a refresh (whether mild or otherwise) at the same time, especially in light of the summer sales period approaching?

similarly Toyota UK adjusted models for the Avensis in Spring 2013 but they've just done it again (only 1 year later).

The only real hardware change is the fitting of a tyre pressure monitoring system which by EU legislation they have to fit as of Autumn this year but they've obviously also taken the opportunity to refine the product offering (colour, trim, engine & transmission options).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links