Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Pressure Monitors

enyajtrebor

I have a 2013 Rav 2.2 Icon which unfortunately doesn't have tyre pressure sensors / monitors

Anyone fitted after market products or even a Toyota kit if one exists ?

I thought about the TyrePal type (replace the valve caps) but they stick out well pass the rim / tyre wall and will not doubt get knocked off

Thanks

Auto Express reviewed this product in 2012: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/61230/steelmate-tp-70-tyre-pressure-monitor

AE made a mistake in the first paragraph - new cars with new Type Approval had to be fitted with tyre pressure monitoring systems from November 2012. All new cars will be required to have a tyre pressure monitoring system from November 2014.

I have a 2013 Rav 2.2 Icon which unfortunately doesn't have tyre pressure sensors / monitors

Are you sure? I didn't think that one could get a RAV 4.4 without TPMS. As Frosty says "new cars with new Type Approval had to be fitted with tyre pressure monitoring systems from November 2012" and the RAV 4.4 is such a new car (I believe). So how did you manage to get one without?

Note that on the UK RAV 4.4 the only evidence that you will have of TMPS on the vehicle is a warning light on the dashboard when trye pressures are low - there's nothing in the onboard computer (cheapskates!)

The Type Approval situation can be a bit misleading, as not every 'new' car is put forward for a fresh Type Approval.

Is the current Rav 4 an all new vehicles or a through facelift of the preceding Rav 4 (which I suspect it may be) - where Type Approval is carried forward from the previous model.

For example, the 2013 Auris carries forward the Type Approval from the 2007-2012 Auris, and thus doesn't need to have a tyre pressure monitoring system until November 2014 (there is a mild refresh due in June which will probably address this).

Agreed Frosty, but:

1. Toyota market the 4.4 as the All New RAV4 and I believe it does have fresh type approval (but do not know)
  2. According to the Toyota website and new RAV4 specs, every model in the range from the base Active up has a "tyre pressure warning system" (but OK we may not be able to trust the specs on the web site)
  3. My 2013 RAV 2.2 Icon certainly does have TPMS - guaranteed, I've checked! :)

So I'm struggling to understand how / why Rob's might not ...

Agreed Frosty, but:

1. Toyota market the 4.4 as the All New RAV4 and I believe it does have fresh type approval (but do not know)

Same as with the Auris - which until very recently was advertised as 'all new'.

Be interesting to see whether the second generation Aygo/C1/108 needs a new Type Approval - as that retains the same structure as the existing Aygo/C1/107, albeit strengthened and with a different windscreen angle.

Obviously the powers that be have decided that TPMS is essential. So that is that.

I see this becoming another excuse for people who do not check one of the most important items on their car, if there are no lights on then everything is fine and dandy and it is OK,off we go on the Mways, no worries!!!

Del

I fancy the look of the one frostyballs mentioned which was reviewed by Autoexpress and is on offer at the Steelmate website. Just wondering if the bit that plugs into the cigarette light in the front consul would fit !!!

A bit of a gamble if it does not, as it needs to be displayed somewhere in sight. The one in the centre armrest is no good !!!

Anyone know ?

Type in this steelmate model on YouTube and there are two good short videos, I've just watched them. They do lock in place.

If I can find out if this will fit in my cigarette lighter at the front of the car, I will buy a set.

Thank you all for your replies, I do have metal valve stems fitted on the 2013 Rav which would generally support fitted Tyre sensors on most cars.

Need to have a closer look at what I already have fitted

Any further info to support standard fit gratefully received

Page 620 of the Owners Manual ... IIRC

Thanks Phillip, having had a proper read of the owners manual now and a closer look at the dash display, the amber warning light for low pressure does show when the ignition is switched and then goes out after the usual self diagnostics.

What I can't find now to support the fitment of the sensors is the reset switch as described on page 554. I have yet to remove the trim to see if it's behind there

No need to remove trim but you do need to be a contortionist to actually 'see' the reset switch. Directly in line with the centre of the steering column and below, from where the dash trim turns 'under' so you can't see it anymore, about 10 cms in there's a round button 'buried' in the centre of a rather larger squareish depression (presumably so that one is very unlikely to press it by mistake). Easiest 'felt' from sitting on the door sill and you could probably see it with a suitably placed mirror. ;)

Philip

Yep got it now, many thanks for all your help and suggestions

This will teach me to read the Owners manual more thoroughly next time !!!

One last question which I can't find an answer to anywhere - what is the pressure loss before the warning light illuminates ?

That I don't know for certain. I've only used the system once in anger so to speak when I got a slow puncture on my SR180 with run-flats. Normal inflation pressure is 32 psi; as I recall the TPMS warning light came on at about 24 psi. Looking at the tyre, it wasn't obvious that it was significantly under inflated; looking at all four tyres, it was pretty clear which one had a problem.

You could do the experiment if you really wanted to know for certain ... deflate a tyre 1 psi at a time until the TPMS warning light comes on and then re-inflate 1 psi at a time until the TPMS warning light goes out again ... but life's probably too short for that ... :)

If Toyota had fitted a proper readout of tyre pressure via the OBC one could have used that (every day!) in preference to checking the tyre pressures with a gauge (once a week / month / ...). As it is the TPMS warning light may well help avert disaster but we still need to regularly walk round with a tyre pressure gauge.

Philip

Thanks for your comments, I will pose the question to my local Mr T and if I get a response I'll let you know

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

My local Mr T tech tells me that the TPMS warning light will illuminate @ 10 lbs/psi less that the original pressure so I make that 22 - seems a bit late to start telling people they have a problem.

As you say it would have been better off if they had put in a proper monitor - why do half the job

My local Mr T tech tells me that the TPMS warning light will illuminate @ 10 lbs/psi less that the original pressure so I make that 22 - seems a bit late to start telling people they have a problem.

As you say it would have been better off if they had put in a proper monitor - why do half the job

Presumably using a system such as this keeps the cost down for both Toyota and for customers if the system needs repairing at any time (especially as it is part of the MOT).

I thought the pressure was around 18psi, that's what I found when I had a slow puncture on my T180

That was before I gave up and added the by-pass switch

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links