Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gps Receiver Location?

wastedagen

I have one of these units in my car and was wonder if the gps receiver is a separate unit or its built into the unit itself... I'm looking to replace this with an updated headunit next week, and needed to know if there's two items to remove from car or just the one.

Thanks in advance..

post-64213-139617068247_thumb.jpg

post-64213-139617069815_thumb.jpg

There should be that info ind user's manual of the new unit.

Can you tell me, which model is/will be your new unit?

Cheers

Oh sorry I think I should have been more clear. My new unit will be a non Toyota, non GPS Unit.... It's just a double din pioneer stereo head unit.

But I will have a look at my present manual, see if it gives any clues....

Failing that I will follow the wiring loom to the front off the car under the dash and see if I find anything obvious.....

OK, I received the new head unit and wiring loom so here are a few pics of my upgrade.

The Stereo I bought is the Pioneer AVH-X8500BT. Also needed a Steering Wheel Interface Stalk Adaptor & Car Stereo Patch Lead (Connect2 : CTSTY001.2) and a Connects2 CT23TY06 Toyota Auris Double Din Fitting Kit.

CT23TY06 001 esp.jpg

But from this kit I only used the two front black plastic fascia. The rest I robbed from the OEM unit.

It went together by the book. The hardest part was running the wires down the center console to the arm rest.

You only need basic tools, but what I will say is if you don't have a flexible/magnetic grabber then get one. Its a life saver. The amount of time I dropped bolts down the dash.........................

Anyways, removing the stereo is straight forward....First place a thin object under the side panels and gentle pull toward you.

Remove both sides then pull the top air vent towards you also....

Then locate the two 10mm bolts either side of the headunit and remove them......

Pull the headunit forward. And carefully disconnect all wiring looms plugs from the back. Remove headunit.

The add on wiring loom is to convert the existing wiring loom to enable the use of a non-oem unit and also keep the use of steering wheel controls.

This unit has USB and HDMI on the rear so thats what I run first. I removed the centre console arm rest and run the wires down the middle to where the storage area is.

I cut a hole in the base/corner of the storage area and run the wires into that. The fixed the arm rest back to the car. Put the carpet back and thats this end done.

The next bit I did was make up the DVD by pass relay and fix that to the framework. Normally the green wire would go to the handbrake, so some of the features would only work if the handbrake was applied. But with this relay bypass, it enables all features of the unit all the time.
It is very simple to do. All you need is a basic 12v 5pin 30A relay. Pin 87 and 86 and ground. Pin 85 goes to the remote output of the unit. The blue wire that enables a power amp to switch on. And finally Pin 30 goes to the green handbrake wire out from unit.

I then fitted it to the nearest earth bolt.

Now its a case of plugging in all the wiring loom to the existing cars loom and putting it all back together.

So all in all it took me a few hours but it wasn't too bad. I audio sound is far superior than the oem unit, no surprise there, and when the Samsung MHL HDMI adaptor arrives I will be able to sync my phone to the unit and use my phones GPS / Navfree and other apps directly from the Pioneer unit. So no need to speed the extra and buy GPS version.
Hope this helps anyone else thinking about upgrading there stock head unit.....
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Thanks - will save me a lot of grief when i install my sony DAB unit into my auris (Only a single din but still...)

Your welcome. Glad I could help.

• Like 1

Do the steering wheel controls actually work with that particular wiring adaptor? Had something similar in my previous car, and while i didnt use it much it was handy to have use of than not.

And is it really noticeable with the fascia adaptor - I like the layout of the dash, and am worried its going to look odd with a lump of black plastic around all that shiny grey and silver..

The steering wheel wiring adaptor makes the volume button, skip next track and previous track button, mode button and answer and reject call button all work fine. The only button that doesn't work is the voice command button....

As for the colour of the headunit shroud, it doesn't bother me. Yes it's black against a darkish grey but not enough difference to warrant me getting the shroud painted to match. Obviously though this is personal preference and only you can make that decision.

Regards

• Like 1

Nope the aerial wire from the car plugged straight into my pioneer...