Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1St And 2Nd Gears Won't Select

dudgeon

I put my Aygo in to a local garage to have 2 new tyres fitted. So far so good, but on collection I was unable to select 1st and 2nd gears and the gear lever travelled too far to the left compared to normal. The garage said it was just a ' coincidence' that it happened at that time (aye right).The gear lever linkage and cable sinside the car seem OK so I can only assume at this stage that the selector mechanism on top of the gearbox is where the problem lies and a pin or clamp has been moved or has sheared. Initially the two gears would engage occasionally with difficulty and work as normal so the main gearbox would appear OK. I suspect someone has forced the gear lever in some way. I know I have never done that as I tend to treat the lever more like a switch as the action is so good normally.

Ideas anyone? I can't find a manual with a proper cross sectional diagram to work out the possible problem.

could be a coincidence, clutch pressure plates are known to break and give hard to select gears, nothing the garage would have done to cuase this.

The only other adjuster is on top of the gearbox again if they are just doing tyres then i cant see how they did it

Alex

could be a coincidence, clutch pressure plates are known to break and give hard to select gears, nothing the garage would have done to cuase this.

The only other adjuster is on top of the gearbox again if they are just doing tyres then i cant see how they did it

Alex

Thanks for the comment, don't think it is that as all other gears OK and gear lever goes too far to the left. I feel it is to do with the selector mechanism on top of the gear box.

Alex

Unless they used the car for the sandwich run at lunch and treated it in a bad way!

Alex

Unless they used the car for the sandwich run at lunch and treated it in a bad way!

I think the guy was trying to get reverse gear in the wrong place. (He can be a bit short tempered and always in a hurry)

A long shot I know, but could damage to the gearbox or linkage have occurred, because of a badly placed jack when the wheels were off to change the tyres.

A long shot I know, but could damage to the gearbox or linkage have occurred, because of a badly placed jack when the wheels were off to change the tyres.

Thanks, I thought that to begin with, but there is nothing underneath that a jack could harm. After enlisting the help of a friend, we discovered the plastic bush on the outer cable at the gearbox end of the lower cable was split, allowing the cable outer to move and stop the inner operating properly.I could not be in the car and under the bonnet at the same time so was unable to pick up the problem. The garage refuse to acknowlege responsibility. Probably because a new cable (only sold in pairs as an assembly) costs nearly £140. The words wounded and bull spring to mind! A wide cable tie round the bush has effected a temporary repair till I can have a better idea. All very annoying as all was fine to start with. The most expensive pair of tyres I have ever bought.

A good second hand one from a breakers yard or E-Bay perhaps? Or give Kingo a try, might be able to sort you out.

Thanks, I'll try an in situ repair first. As it is only a split ferrule (I hope) it may be possible to araldite a split tube over the damaged bit rather than replace the lot. Fingers crossed. The wide cable tie is holding but does not inspire too much confidence long term!!!

Heath Robinson Rules...

Most of you are probably young for that, maybe I should have said MacGyver

Heath Robinson Rules...

Most of you are probably young for that, maybe I should have said MacGyver

I may be 71+ but I will still fix something if possible. (throwback from post war austerity). Getting back up from under the car is usually the hardest bit!!

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't look too harder job to replace the gear selector according to the haynes manual. Might change mine as it is a bit like an allegro at times.

Heath Robinson lives on!!

Re the gear selection problem, this was traced to the lower cable at the gearbox end with the help of an observer at that end. Hard to do on your own unless you have long arms.

Attatched are sketches (rough I'm afraid) of the problem and H.R. solution. Diagram A , The ferrule locating the outer is crimped on and locates and stabilises the inner cable. I'm not a great fan of crimping zinc as it is brittle and can cause hairline cracks which weaken the component. (I am assuming it is zinc by the appearance of the fracture which has the usual crystaline look)

Diagram B shows the ferrule is partly broken away allowing the outer to move sideways along with the inner.

Diagram C shows the method of repair which is now (hopefully) stronger than the original and so far has suvived a couple of weeks at time of writing. The repair tubes only have to be split wide enough to go over the inner as the outer can be slid back. The repair was done from beneath the car after disconnecting the cable from gearbox end. It can be drawn back just enough to work on without kinking.

Total cost about £5 (or less if you have a twin pack of quick Araldite) Better than £138 for a set of cables and probably another £100 or so in labour if you have the time and inclination. For me it would have cost 2 weeks pension to have it fixed so there was a touch of desperation involved!! However the satisfaction of managing a repair made up for all the sweary words involved.post-138862-0-97046700-1397926111_thumb.

I wouldn't change the cables unless you know one or the other is faulty. There is not much to go wrong with them apart from the problem I had i.e. the ferrules. Your problem may be the gear lever linkage under the centre console which has a few parts which could cause a ropy gearchange. The construction is a bit lightweight although normally adequate as the gear changing is usually featherlight.

It doesn't look too harder job to replace the gear selector according to the haynes manual. Might change mine as it is a bit like an allegro at times.

I replied to your post but it went in separately. (25th April)

I replied to your post but it went in separately. (25th April)

Cheers will investigate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links