Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tail Light Gasket

Rick Turpin

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone can point in the right direction where I can get a n/s tail light gasket from ?

water is getting into my boot and it's coming in from the tail light.

Thanks.

Your local Toyota dealer or PM partsking on here, both will need your registration or chassis number as there are multiple variations on the rear lamp gaskets.

• Like 1

You don't need a new gasket, just add some silcon sealent around the gasket where it seals to the body. You only need to put a thin bead along the witness line on the gasket and this will do the job. I used a neutral cure sealant e.g. Dow Corning 799. To remove the light unclip the bulb holder, undo the 2 nuts on the back and press in the 2 white plastic clips. The light will then slide off towards the rear. You can leave the clip on the wing alone as the light sides onto this.

Andy

• Like 1

Thank you Devon Aygo, I have sent a Pm to partsking.

Thank you for the great advice Andy, I will try this before ordering a new gasket.

Cheers guys,

sealant for the win, works a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need a new gasket, just add some silcon sealent around the gasket where it seals to the body. You only need to put a thin bead along the witness line on the gasket and this will do the job. I used a neutral cure sealant e.g. Dow Corning 799. To remove the light unclip the bulb holder, undo the 2 nuts on the back and press in the 2 white plastic clips. The light will then slide off towards the rear. You can leave the clip on the wing alone as the light sides onto this.

Andy

Thanks for the advice, I've removed the bulb holder but I can only locate 1 M10 nut which I've removed but cannot locate a second nut or the 2 white plastic clips, I didn't want to force the light in case I break something.

Without sounding stupid what am I doing wrong,

Rick

Sorry - there is only one nut and one plastic clip is located to the side of nut (below the bulb holder) and the other one above the bulb holder nearest the wing. Hopefully this will explain the locations. I used a small ring spanner to push over the plastic clips to release the barbs.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, your help is much appreciated.

Just one more question, when I use the ring spanner on the plastic clips do I unscrew them anti clockwise or pull them off ?

Sorry to be a nuisance, thanks again.

Rick

Just push the ring spanner over the plastic clip to release the two barbs on the side of clips then push the clips though the spanner to release the light. Its a bit fiddly the first time but easy once you have got the knack.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Sorry to jump onto this thread but how did you manage to remove the bulb holder ? I am really struggling to release it.

Thanks

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

• Like 1

There is a moulded tab on the side of the bulb holder. Push this towards the bulbs and the holder should release.

It's sorted it would appear that it was jammed into the light fitting by some ham fisted dude ! ( not me ) my local garage sorted it FOC :-)

Thanks for the help

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links