Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Mpg

scubachap

Hi Everyone

Hope no-one minds my first post here being a question. OK, I have a Verso 2.0 diesel D4D - 2010, bought just before Xmas with 26K miles on the clock.

My question is fuel consumption. I'm currently getting around 30-31mpg urban and long distance motorway driving is giving me 40 mpg tops. (I've measured the consumption from fill ups as opposed to just relying on the odometer thingy (which incidentally appears to be reasonably accurate.)

I've tried the usual things - better fuel, running at high'ish revs, some additive etc Nothing seems to make a difference. It's been back to the Toyota dealer who while professional has just told me there's nothing wrong and that I should monitor the situation and also perhaps try some additive.

I've also noticed that there's occasionally an engine shudder pulling away in first gear.

I've heard about EGR valves(?) blocking etc

It's my first Toyota ever (I've had a string of other diesels) and I certainly wasn't expecting these sort of issues. Has anyone else on here 'fixed' this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi, sorry you're having these issues. Mine is d4d 2.0 diesel 2013 with 8000 miles and I see some difference in mpg when I change fuel. My combined mpg dropped to 43 when I used tesco's and increased to 49.9 when I used Shell nanopwer. I never got more than 49.99. So perhaps it's worth a try to change fuel or use additives. All the best.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the response. I've tried additives which didn't seem to make any difference. I haven't tried Nanopower specifically (I've tried some other better ones, BP, I think?) but will do so.

Thanks for posting your figures - interesting, they're what I'd expect from a 2.0 Diesel and they just show how far adrift mine are. I'm coming round to the idea that my only real solution will be to trade this thing in for something else.

There must be something wrong with your car. My 2008 140PS D4D gives ~55 mpg on motorways, and that's with an older engine from before Toyota Optimal Drive (whatever that really is).

Thanks, this is the figure which appears when I press on (display) button, so I think this is the combined one, perhaps I'm getting more on motorways, problem is my commute is mainly in town with short journey on country road. Best wishes.

There must be something wrong with your car.

I think you're right, but whether it's a specific 'fixable' problem I don't know. (The Toyota dealer has told me there's nothing wrong etc). I've searched around and I don't seem to be the only person with consumption issues with this Toyota engine. Perhaps it's got something to do with all the new filters they're fitting to get round the emissions thing? But why do some cars suffer and others don't? I'm no expert but I do think the engine feels a bit crude and unrefined compared to the other diesels I've had. I guess though, that's a subjective thing and if it was giving me decent consumption it wouldn't bother me.

I too have the 2010 2l. I achieve slightly better for day to day driving (35mpg?) and upto 45 with really careful motorway driving. I find any cruising at 60+ has a substantial impact.

Having had this since new after a 2006 TSpirit 2.2l I was disappointed that is for sure. I would say I lost 10mpg. Maybe the extra weight of the panoramic roof and the spare tyre I added I part of the issue?

I too have a number of journeys I have put into excel for both cars. I see little difference in where I buy the fuel but I nicer have tried the premium brands.

Happy to share my excel file if it helps anyone - not got it to hand currently so th figures above are off memory.

Finally i find the fuel guage itself poor underreporting tank level / range left by 50-100 miles (upto 20%!) but one positive point - I agree the mpg gauge I fairly accurate unlike my 06 Verso.

• Like 1

Hi Tim, thanks for your post. Interesting that you find 60+ cruising an issue and you have an identical car (I too have the glass roof).

It's the motorway consumption thats surprising me and what originally made me wonder if mine is faulty. The various diesels I've had before this one would just sip fuel at say 70-75 (and in doing so more than make up for any around town stop start shortcomings.) Personally my overall average is down about 13-15mpg on my previous rather average and elderly car - it's meant a real leap in my motoring costs.

You're right the fuel tank gauge is really odd. I too felt it 'fibbed' but I've found that waiting for the out of fuel warning to come on (so I guess I'm refuelling at the same tank volume ???) seems to have settled the gauge down a bit and the estimated range has become a lot more consistent and increased by about 40 miles on a full tank (the separate warning light comes on now as the range drops down towards zero). Before, with partial fill ups I would get a range of zero but no out of fuel warning light!

Hi Tim, thanks for your post. Interesting that you find 60+ cruising an issue and you have an identical car (I too have the glass roof).

It's the motorway consumption thats surprising me and what originally made me wonder if mine is faulty. The various diesels I've had before this one would just sip fuel at say 70-75 (and in doing so more than make up for any around town stop start shortcomings.) Personally my overall average is down about 13-15mpg on my previous rather average and elderly car - it's meant a real leap in my motoring costs.

Drag increases as the square of velocity so it's not unexpected that fuel usage increases as you go faster. having said that it seems fairly typical of Toyotas so it's possibly linked to gearing choices v other manufacturers.

You can't really compare a modern car directly to an old one as they've grown in size & weight plus been encumbered with lots of emission equipment etc. .

You're right the fuel tank gauge is really odd. I too felt it 'fibbed' but I've found that waiting for the out of fuel warning to come on (so I guess I'm refuelling at the same tank volume ???) seems to have settled the gauge down a bit and the estimated range has become a lot more consistent and increased by about 40 miles on a full tank (the separate warning light comes on now as the range drops down towards zero). Before, with partial fill ups I would get a range of zero but no out of fuel warning light!

My understanding is that the range counts down to the "reserve" rather than empty. This usually means that you have ~2 gallons up your sleeve,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links