Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1.33 Fuel Bar, Fuel Consumption And All That Stuff.

Mooly

Edit... this post is to illustrate typical behaviour of the Auris bar graph fuel gauge and also gives some real world m.p.g figures.

I filled up (brim full) 20 days OK and the car has been driven probably 70% or so of those days. Mixed road, urban, town centre and motorway. Climate control (air con) is permanently on.

These are the "Fuel Bar" readings...

Mileage start 0.00, all bars lit.

Mileage 149. First bar goes off. Then comes back on. Then permanently off at 153 miles.

Mileage 185. Second bar goes off. Then comes back on and finally permanently off at 190 miles.

Mileage 247. Third bar goes off.

Mileage 300. Fourth bar goes off.

Mileage 339. Fifth bar goes off and then on again at 343 and then off at 346.

Mieage 390. Sixth bar goes off and then on again, and then off at 393.

Mileage 447. Seventh bar goes off and then on again at 450 and then off at 453.

With two bars still lit and cruise range showing 60 miles I brim fill again. Fuel taken 42.32 litres (9.31 gallons).

Total mileage covered, 458.6

M.P.G = 49.25

Theoretical range based on 55 litre tank, 596 miles.

• Like 4

Hi mooly,

I don't quite know the question you're asking but digital fuel gauges in general are not very reliable at telling you a real fuel amount.

The reason digital fuel gauge may also go up and down a bit (e.g. 5 bars, 4 bars and then 5 again) can be due to the type of driving at the time. So if you've suddenly started doing town stop - start driving, after motorway driving, the gauge will recalculate that the mpg has gone down and will adjust the gauge accordingly as you'll run out of fuel quicker.

50 mpg from the 1.33 petrol engine with a mixture of driving is pretty good and I be quite proud of that.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

There continues to be a few questions raised across the forums (Auris, Aygo, IQ, Yaris, etc), on the accuracy of the bar type fuel gauge, range, etc.

This topic is a useful illustration of what a typical owner may experience.

Thanks Frosty. I've edited the first post to make that point clear :)

And LeeroyJone87... that's an interesting point you make on the gauge responding to driving conditions. I could understand the "cruise range" figure constantly updating... but the tank contents ?

Hi mooly,

Yeah, I don't quite understand how but iv got a feeling the gauge can change maybe due to the average fuel consumption. Although it isn't just the auris, iv noticed it on the aygo, yaris, iq, auris and more.

Hope this helps

Have 'pinned' this topic as it provides a clear illustration of how the bar type fuel gauge operates, and will be useful to use as a reference for further questions on the subject - and not just for the Auris.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

As others have said the digital read out is calculated typically on the average consumption over the last 30 miles or so.

If you have a clear run to work in the morning you might find you gain fuel you thought you'd used, bar lights up again.

Get stuck in congestion on the drive home and you appear to be burning more fuel than you expect.

Either way, c.50MPG from a 1.3 petrol is not bad going.

• 1 month later...

As a newbie to the TOC I find this really interesting. I have just purchased an Auris 2.0 D4D TR and am happy with the car but a bit perplexed by the fuel bar. When I took the car on the test drive the low fuel warning was displayed but the dealer assured me 'there was loads of fuel left. Nervously I took it for a ten mile drive all the while watching the flashing single bar. I purchased the car and drove two miles to the nearest fuel station. I was expecting to put over 50 litres into the 55 litre tank but I got just and so 45 litres in.

In the last two weeks I've done 530 miles and with the low fuel warning displayed I filled up. I only got 47.3 litres in so the low warning display is wildly pessimistic when it comes on. I reckon you could drive at least 50 miles after the low warning comes on and still have a gallon left.

Incidentally when I first brimmed the tank it showed the range as only 430 miles which made me worry about the future fuel economy but thankfully the car is sound perhaps not so the gauge.

I am new to the car and need to learn the cars characteristics so I can drive it more efficiently but my first calculations show 50.89mpg.

I'm happy with that especially considering the cars performance.

I hope this is of some use.

Happy driving.

You should find the low fuel warning light comes on when the car reaches the approximate reserve fuel amount. The amount varies on all cars but it's around the 8 litre mark I think. Also the fuel gauge works on a combination of the above and your average fuel consumption from start up. For example, if you thrash the car, the approximate fuel range and fuel gauge will drop faster than if you drive the car economically.

Hope this helps

• 10 months later...

Hi and Merry Christmas to all.

I am interested and thinking after unsuccessful purchase of an Auris gen2 diesel to look for first gen Auris after 2010 model. My biggest concern is whether to go for 1.3 or 1.6 ? The car will cover a lot of motorway miles but sensible driving up to the speed limits and no hard acceleration plus will be me and one more person most of the time. Fuel economy is what I am all about. Will appreciate if some owners with both 1.3 and 1.6 share their figures what they getting on the run. If 50mpg is achievable with 1.3 that's really great.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

I've had two Auris 1.33's from new.

The best consumption I've acheived is to and from our holidays on the Isle of Skye - a journey each way of around 520 miles for us with around 300 miles of motorway travelling. With driver and passenger on board, rear seats folded down and a full load of luggage - 46-48mpg (brim to brim figures, not taken from the information display).

Real mixture of roads - motorways (speeds up to 90mph indicated), fast A-roads, travelling through two mountain ranges (Glencoe and The Cuillins), rural, urban, etc.

I'm never too bothered about driving economically, as long as I get something that seems reasonable to me.

Around town I get around 35-37 - but that is in and around Birmingham, which is quite congested and has a lot of stop/start driving. For example my 6.5 mile commute to the office used to take anywhere between 30 minutes to 1 hour - occasionally longer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

can you or anyone else tell me what the overall width (mirror tip to mirror tip) of the Auris will be? (With the exception of VW, this is a dimension that very few manufactures give in their detail specs, for people who like to garage their car this is an important consideration.)

The first, second and face-lifted second generation Auris all have the same width of 1760mm - which should be the overall measurement including the door mirrors. The face-lifted second generation Auris was launched in the US as the Scion IM, which with the impending demise of the Scion brand, may become the Toyota IM(?).

• 7 years later...

Hi everyone,

Just got 2013 1.3 petrol Auris a few weeks ago.

As I'm mainly driving in town around East London, I noticed I'm getting approx 28 mpg according to the display.

Does that sound about right?

Thank you all

It all depends how long you are sat in traffic not moving. Impossible to say just based on the info you have given. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1