Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Mount Upgrade

aaronfife

I'm finally getting around to removing my engine mounts in the next month or so and have a few questions around this..

I'm buying Polyurethane Liquid in a 80A form of hardness and going to remove the top (main) mount and the gearbox mount (dogmount bush) to clean and fill with the liquid. My main reason of doing this is simple - my standard ones are about as soft as my car sponge! Every time I accelerate or lift off the gas, the engine moves very sharply, causing the car to hop and bounce like a kangaroo.

My question - If I remove both at the same time, one after the other, what do I need to support the engine? On my previous car (Citroen C2 GT) I removed one at a time and jacked up on the sump with a long piece of wood for a whole weekend to change them separately and all was fine. Just because it's a different car, any suggestions or precautions I should take and where should I jack it up/support the engine about?

ALSO what hardness would you guys recommend? 60A, 80A or 94A? I'm thinking 80A will be more than adequate? I've heard 3M Window Weld is a common buy to do this but can't seem to get any in the UK?

Any help would be great as our IQ's need custom made parts these days as nowhere sells Polybushes for it.

80a formula is the most popular for it's ability to significantly increase vehicle performance while still allowing some small amount of flex in the mounts to keep vibration and noise to reasonable levels.

80a is also use for to bowling balls... Not a lot of people know that ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. Interesting.. wouldn't of known that fact! 80a is what I've been thinking. Just need to know where supplies this stuff for mounts..

Thanks that's what I'm looking for but... the price :eek: lol

Aaron, what do you expect from RS! Now you know the name of the stuff I suggest you Google it and you could well find the stuff elsewhere probably cheaper, but it is cheaper than a new set of engine mounts I bet.

£24.99 sounds much better. Cheers for the find :-)

Any advice on which one to remove first/where to place hydraulic jack? I know the gearbox mount could be whipped out with no support but not sure on top engine mount?

I bow to the greater knowledge of the IQ boys...

• Like 1

I think someone here has a manual, but it may not be of any help, I would have thought you would have had an answer by now.

I dont think it's a common problem. Maybe a dealer could give you a clue, but I wouldn't bet on it.

There must be a safe place to hold the engine to do this as engine mounts would probably be changed occasionally.

Maybe a friendly chat with a few dealer service departments might just give you the answer.

Sorry I can't help more.

Hopefully someone will know. I would of thought, jacking it on a piece of thick wood under the sump would hold nicely but just want to make sure :)

Aaron

Will look tomorrow in the manual for you. There should be a procedure for replacing them

David

• Like 1

PM sent Aaron

David, I have taken some screen shots of what I think Aaron is after. I have PM'd him t o say I will email them to him, just waiting for him to come back online.

Ok you can highlight the list of procedure and save it as a word doc and email that if you want

David

Email drafted ready ;)

If possible can you take shots of the procedure so we can use it as a guide.

Ok, just been playing around. I didn't know once a screen shot has been pasted in to a Word doc that you could then save the picture as a JPEG, PNG or other format. So now I know that here you are :)

I should also add to get to this stage of engine removal there is a fair list of bits and bobs to be removed firsthand, but seeing as Aaron isn't actually removing the engine as such I have skipped past those.

I think the key part here is the rope in step one, without that the engine will tip forwards and could cause damage if not secured as so.

Hope this helps.

0c61050c-4cb0-440c-839c-454ffc8eac6a_zps

3a7c29e3-462f-41fb-8bcd-f1edc688f32c_zps

• Like 1

The fastest way is to use a program called Greenshot, then you can capture anything locally on screen, you can the upload the media using the more reply options:

Then add to your post ... Simples

post-41902-0-52220000-1396601804_thumb.j

Click to enlarge

• Like 1

This is a great help chaps. Sorry wasn't online last night. I'll hand this to my good friend who's a Ex Citroen Master Technician that might be able to help me on this one. The engine tipping forwards is worrying me a bit to go ahead and do it myself. I'll keep you all updated on my next step but this should help on the 'ins' and 'outs' of the job :)

The fastest way is to use a program called Greenshot, then you can capture anything locally on screen, you can the upload the media using the more reply options:

Then add to your post ... Simples

attachicon.gifReplying To Engine Mount Upgrade.jpg

Click to enlarge

Thanks for that. I have now downloaded Greenshot, cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links