Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Bulbs Again

vox

I realise we have had a thread on IQ headlight bulbs, but I'm, getting a bit worried about the fact my IQ has H1R2/HIR2 bulbs in it. I was going to buy a couple of spares and then had two shocks, one the price and not many places seem to stock them. I hope we are not going to run out of these in a few years time? no mods, no alternative!

I think we've been here before, did some IQs use H4s or H1s? is there a different pair headlight units I can fit, (at great expense I bet) or am I worrying for nothing.

Think HIR2 bulbs are a more common fitting in the US than, so far, here in Europe. Can't see that manufacturers like Toyota (GM also fit them in the US) would fit them as OE unless there is some guarantee of continuing supply, and I see Osram are doing HIR2 bulbs now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-9012-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B00I409JK0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1396643836&sr=8-7&keywords=HIR2+bulbs

From memory although i wasn't involved in the threads. One of the common bulbs can have a tag cut off it to fit the iq. I abandoned all that and fitted HID's but as you all know. There is always the debate of legality no auto leveller and no lens cleaner. If required i switch them back for the MOT

David

• Like 1

Try you local Toyota dealer for the iQ spare bulb pack. It contains one of each type of bulb (including the HIR2) and come in slightly cheaper than a single HIR2 bulb found on the internet.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, that helps a lot, I did think of HIDs, but we have some very observant traffic police here. Mmm not going to risk that one.

Frosty, that Amazon one is a reasonable price, (compared to some) but "Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months."!!! Do they actually make them for you to order? Can you imagine, "sorry officer, I know I have a headlight out, one's on order from Amazon, it takes two months on back order" I wonder if I would get a ticket? I can now Google Osram specifically for the HIR2s, they may be available elsewhere.

Mark, I think your idea seems good, I will give Jemca a ring tomorrow and see what the prices are like. As they wanted £140 ish I think for a glove bag, I have a bad feeling the kit may be dear from them, but there are plenty of dealers around.

Thanks again all, I'll sleep a little better tonight. :)

Think Osram have only recently begun making the HIR2 bulbs, which could be a reason for the delay. Having said that, I've ordered stuff from Amazon in the past with a similar lead time, and always got the item within about three weeks, sometimes sooner.

As regards the bulb kits, send Parts King a personal message to see what price he can do them for (need to state details of what car you've got, etc).

I've also contacted Osram and asked whether they are likely to be making a Nightbreaker Plus/Unlimited upgrade bulb in the HIR2 9012 fitment.

• Like 1

Thank you Frosty,

The headlights on my IQ are not too bad, but not a patch on the H4 nightbreakers I fitted to my Smart. Some upgraded bulbs wouldn't go amiss in the IQ.

I will ask Parts King the price of a bulb kit as I like to carry a set of spare bulbs, it could save me a ticket, or more importantly an accident.

I bought the Toyota spare light bulb kit from the local dealer and although expensive at £30.14, it was only the cost of a headlight bulb from elsewhere. Actually the friendly dealer gave me a 10% discount too as I bought the car from them so it came to about £27.00

Here is some pictures showing the contents and the part number if anyone wants to get one.

I now carry this kit in the car as I'm always amazed at the amount of cars I see on the road with non working lights. One day on the way to work in the dark I saw 12 cars with faulty headlights and 2 cars with faulty rear lights! I only drive 30 minutes to work as well. I lost count of the number of BMW and Audi cars with non working indicators...... :)

Craig.

post-116364-0-76762300-1396687081_thumb.

post-116364-0-86924600-1396687091_thumb.

post-116364-0-65998200-1396687101_thumb.

• Like 1

Thanks Craig,

Did you not know that Audi and BMW owners are exemp from using indicators.

• Like 1

Info only really. I think we discussed last time that one of the reasons for MR T to use this Style of bulb was that due to its "projector bulb"styling, it could be more suitable for the method of how the lighting switches between high and low, through the magnifying lens via switched director.

David

The HIR2 bulb is also supposed to produce approx 75% more light than the standard OE halogen bulbs

Craig

Interestingly, the style of your main bulb in your kit is different from the original design which puts my theory off

David

Yes, I noticed that too. The original bulbs still in my car have a bulbous end on them but the replacement is a straight tube design. Both do say HIR2 on them though and both fit the hole so can only assume they do the same thing.

If get a spare minute later I'll fit the new bulb into one of the lights and see if the projected pattern on the fence in front is the same.

Here is a picture of my original, Toshiba bulb.

Craig.

post-116364-0-66094400-1396698503_thumb.

Hi, I noticed that as had to replace one of my wife's IQ recently, I cant say have seen any difference in light pattern

As far as I'm aware, the original design had the bulbous glass. After Toshiba stopped production of HIR bulbs around 2009/2010, Philips took up production and made changes to the bulb - which presumably resulted in the straight tube. Osram are also producing HIR bulbs now.

The reply from Osram is as follows:

Good afternoon Mike

Thank you for your web message.

HIR bulbs already run at a high efficiency and up-rated versions are not possible at the moment. So, I am afraid that there are no immediate plans to introduce a Night Breaker version. Thank you for your interest and we will keep it in mind.

Best regards

Keith Raftery

Technical Sales Manager

OSRAM Ltd

Thanks for that Frosty. Interesting, although the HIRs are not that bad as headlights go, the Osram H4 nightbreakers were much brighter?

As regards the amount of light produced, Philips HIR2 bulbs produce around 1870 lumens, OE halogen bulbs around 1000 lumens, and upgrade halogen bulbs (+100%, +110%, +120%) around 2000-2200 lumens.

Am imagining things. Did we not have this conversation 3yrs ago whereby you can use H4 bulbs after snapping one of the pips/tabs off. In which case can you not use"night breakers"

David

Similar conversations have occurred a few times across the IQ, Auris and Yaris clubs.

An H4 has 2 filaments and a different plug fitting, I cant really see how that could fit with just the removal of one tab. I'll have to offer one up and see what it looks like. I suppose an adapror could be made from dead HIR bulbs power sockets. I have some H7 single filament bulbs around, I'll offer one of those up as well.

I have ordered a pair of spare HIRs from Kingo at a very reasonable price, but a whiter brighter alternative would be good.

Am imagining things. Did we not have this conversation 3yrs ago whereby you can use H4 bulbs after snapping one of the pips/tabs off. In which case can you not use"night breakers"

David

It could have been a H7 then, do they not da a nightbreaker version? Sorry it was 3 yrs ago and i didnt pay much attention to it as i was going HID. Will try to find it when i have time. Think Mark and Craig were in the posts maybe they can remember

David

Strangly, i sent an update a few mins later. I had been to toyota and remembered it was HB4's but wasn't sure if there was a Nightbreaker version

Chhers for looking will have a read

David

Strangly, i sent an update a few mins later. I had been to toyota and remembered it was HB4's but wasn't sure if there was a Nightbreaker version

Chhers for looking will have a read

David

David, just found your missing update lol http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/157908-missing-thread/page-3