Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Service Items

bobkneale

Below is my initial "draft list" of my DIY IQ service items for this summer with some "approx" costs.

What have I missed ? and all comments welcomed:

1) Oil – 0W-20 Mobil No 1 - Fully synthetic oil - 5 ltr

2) ZX1 oil treatment - £22 – 350 ml

(buy from Halfords)

3) Oil Filter - £ 25

(Buy from Toyota)

4) Oil Drain plug “O” ring & gasket £10
(Buy from Toyota)

5) Oil Filter Wrench 64mm ? - £ 25

(Buy from Toyota) ?

6) Air Filter - £ 15

(Buy from Toyota)

7) Pollen Filter - £ 50 ?

(Buy from Toyota)

8) Spark Plugs X 3 - NGK Laser Iridium SPARK PLUGS - £70

(Buy from Toyota)

9) Fuel System cleaner BG44K - £22

(Buy from Amazon)

10) Spare IQ Bulb pack - £30 – One bulb each type.

(buy from Toyota)

11) PIAA Silicone Wiper Blades X 2 (front only) £40

Total Estimated Cost = £340

12) Brake pads £100 ? (full set if needed)

Grand Total all Items "estimated" Cost MAX- £440

----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

Below is my initial "draft list" of my DIY IQ service items for this summer with some "approx" costs.

What have I missed ?

The Toyota Dealer stamp in your service book :lol2:

That sounds very expensive to me!

1. Just changed the pollen filter with this one and is genuine, works perfectly: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221350391085?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
  2. Oil - can you not use 5w30 instead? Castrol A1 seems fine and is much cheaper.
  3. Air filter - just over £9 at eurocarparts (part no 502820828, just fitted it and is good quality). No tools needed to replace, easy peasy.
  4. Drain plug - don't know as I got Toyota to change the oil as part of the service (minor)
  5. Oil filter wrench - filter is standard size, any old oil filter wrench will do. Should be be less than £25?
  6. Spark plugs - try these ones, they have the same part no as the ones on the car when it left the factory. Even taking into account the delivery they are still 1/2 price compared to Toyota and you also have a spare one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171070253247?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

7. Brake pads - £33.88 at eurocarparts for good quality stuff - part no 101820878.
  8. The rest I would not bother with (the snake oil and BG44 or whatever).

Hopefully this will help.

PS Edited to rectify a few mistakes.

That all seems very reasonable to me Gabriel, My oil filter wrench was a sharp largeish screwdriver driven through the filter can and turned, that always worked. If you want to be fussy buy a copper washer from Halfords ( can't believe they want £10 for that!), although not really needed unless you have lost it, or it's mangled. If you use good quality 5/30 synthetic oil, you really don't want to put that addative rubbish in as well, it's as Gabriel says, "snake oil". Stick with the genuine oil filter, mainly because it has Toyota written on it.

You may find eurocarparts do an oil filter wrench at a sensible price if you want one. All this should cost you a lot less.

The Toyota stamp in your service book.........PRICELESS.

Thanks for above comments I am sure I can buy all parts for a lot less than my estimate, as you have indicated.

Toyota stamp is worthless to me as I intend to keep my IQ until it dies of old age !

Thanks for the feedback !

Somehow mangled the spark plug link, was also saying that you can't easily find in the UK the Denso ones that were on the car when it left the factory (part no is SK16HR11) but the friendly Yanks have on their eBay (is being used on some of the Dodge models apparently). Also you get 4 of them so you will have a spare.

In my humble opinion the Mr T stamp in the service books is worth exactly £0. Service books can be bought online and stamped fraudulently. A stack of invoices and history on the other hand...

Vox, the screwdriver is always to hand when changing oil filters, although luckily never had to use it so far as my oil filter wrench is very good. I have one like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADJUSTABLE-12-OIL-FILTER-WRENCH-PLIER-REMOVAL-TOOL-CUSHION-HANDLE-/160744764895?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item256d2275df

You do know Toyota do not have factories making oil filters... They just buy from their approved suppliers (whichever happens to be cheapest usually). On that logic, any of the big names should be good and much cheaper. MAN, Bosch both are good. Bosch part no for the IQ at Eurocarparts is 501820017 and is only £4.36.

If I think of anything else I will reply further.

Not sure if the 1.0 models are the same but the oil filter on the 1.33 models does require a special tool to remove and refit as it's just a filter element inside a cast aluminium housing. I got mine from Amazon and I think it was only about £15 made by Laser tools.

I have done two oil changes and the drain plug does not have a seal on it. It does seal however. :)

I use 5-30 oil from the local motor factors. change it once a year it's perfect and it meets Toyota specifications. I think it's about £15 a tub. I don't believe in oil treatments myself and wouldn't ever use them or buy an engine that has had them used.

My EBC Ultimax brake pad set was less than £50 for all corners. I think standard ones can be found around the £40 mark.

The pollen filter may not need changing unless you've never done it before. It is a service item but should need changing less often, maybe every two or three year. It can be removed from the car and cleaned too.

Craig.

Seeing how cheap the filters are and being a new car (to me), I decided to change them. The air filter was not too bad but the pollen filter had not been changed for quite some time and was very nasty looking.

You need a bit of patience changing the pollen one as access is a bit tight.

My car is on 59k miles and I think is due new spark plugs, can you guys (and girls) confirm? I have a guide on how to do it (thanks tarquin) and does not look too bad; mind you, have to drain the coolant so not entirely happy but there you go.

Gabriel, my name is Vox. (I guess that was a typo)

Talking of oil filters, in some recent tests of fine partical filtration and built in non return valves, Fram came out the best and the second best and not made by Fram was a Halfords replacement!

On selling a car, loads of dealers, big and small look at the oil filter to see if it has the "right" brand. It just gives a clue to the cars real history as the genuine filters are usually far more expensive than pattern ones. Back street garages might cheat the service books, but won't spend on genuine parts. As Bob is keeping his car, I suggest using a Fram filter.

AFAIK no car manufacturer makes their own filters, they just brand the cheapest ones they can buy in bulk.

Bob, out of curiosity have you had a price from a Toyota garage for the service to see how it compares?

Now that is very interesting, the only difference is these tests were done in the US although I doubt that makes much difference. I've been trying to find the similar tests that were done here that rated the Fram as best, but it was Ford, VW, and Vauxhall filters that were tested. (all european built cars, not of Japanese origin) I will keep looking. It is nice to know Toyota actually bother to use the best filter they possibly can. A part of the reason Toyotas are so reliable I guess.

Thanks for the link from me as well, very interesting reading the comparison.

Basically Fram was deemed to be garbage and other "top" brands did not fare much better either. Oh dear.

Out of curiosity, do we know how much a genuine Mr T filter costs at the dealers?

PS Just spotted, the Toyota filter had the Denso brand on it in small font...

Denso! great stuff, they make real good Iridium spark plugs. With the genuine filter being that good, it's almost worth it's weight in gold? This may be why well looked after Toyotas are still going strong with over 200,000 miles on the clock.

Bob, out of curiosity have you had a price from a Toyota garage for the service to see how it compares?

No I have not got a Toyota service quote for this specific 40,000 mile service based upon the fact that with all the good advice I am getting from many people on this forum to buy my service items much cheaper, plus if i do the work myself it "MUST" be cheaper than Toyota ! As labour costs are high and when I do it myself I will know for sure that it is done properly, plus I am learning about my IQ as I go along.

No I have not got a Toyota service quote for this specific 40,000 mile service based upon the fact that with all the good advice I am getting from many people on this forum to buy my service items much cheaper, plus if i do the work myself it "MUST" be cheaper than Toyota ! As labour costs are high and when I do it myself I will know for sure that it is done properly, plus I am learning about my IQ as I go along.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing

That is amazingly cheap for servicing, at these prices I wouldn't bother doing it myself, even if I could. Unless of course you're really enthusiastic about doing it yourself.

As for it being done properly, well who knows? Some Smart dealers weren't too bad, most were awful. I've not had any real dealings with Jemca's service department yet, but I do hear they have a good reputation. I dare say I will find out come service time.

When I took my IQ to be serviced last month (Jemca Reading), service was excellent.

I also had two recalls done on the car (previously leased by a council and apparently never been at Toyota for servicing). Saying that, I got a stack of history with the car (all services and invoices).

Do bear in mind the intermediate service is just an oil and filter change and some checks, and the full one does not actually replace much else either.

I can do the equivalent minor service for under £30 in parts, therefore at 125 is not amazing value for me. I did service the car there firstly because I wanted to see if there are any issues with the car I did not spot when buying it and also because I wanted to get a service book of them (which was not free but £6).

I will ring my local Toyota Dealer and get a quote for the same items that are on my list which will be full plus+ and include the brake fluid change and 3off spark plug change plus all filters changed (not just checked) then I will post on this forum so we can all see the comparison from a cost perspective.

I look forward to see the damage to the wallet it would produce. I estimate to be about £400 (spark plugs, as already mentioned, are Iridium and not cheap).

I will ring my local Toyota Dealer and get a quote for the same items that are on my list which will be full plus+ and include the brake fluid change and 3off spark plug change plus all filters changed (not just checked) then I will post on this forum so we can all see the comparison from a cost perspective.
Some maintenance operations are quoted on the same page as the fixed price services...Click on arrow at bottom of fixed priceing

As Promised - Comparison Toyota quote for my IQ service on the phone today as follows:

Toyota Service Cost Quote My IQ - 40,000 Miles:

Below Shows various options:

Service Full = £195

Service Full (+) £255 (Includes Plugs)

Pollen Filter = £39

Plugs x 3 = £57.49p

Brake fluid = £39

Total Toyota = Full plus additional items - Pollen Filter & 3 Plugs & Brake fluid change

= Total £331

If I just went for Full (not Full +) and
pollen filter + 3 plugs would be

Total = £292

-----------------

I have done two oil changes and the drain plug does not have a seal on it. It does seal however. :)

Oh yes it does, you should check that out, it is a fibre washer and often sticks to the sump pan

Kingo :thumbsup:

Cheers, I certainly haven't seen anything on my sump plug. 1.3 version and it looks like just a flat sealing face but maybe there is a washer in there or I'm getting my sumps mixed up, I recently changed the oil on my chevy V8 and I may be thinking of that! :huh:

I'll have a closer look next oil change which will be in 10 months time as I've just done a service.

Craig.

I reckon I could do the same service as the top one (oil, oil filter, air filter and plugs) plus pollen filter and brake fluid change for about £90 in parts.

There is a 30% off code at eurocarparts at the moment (SPRING30) which brings the price down nicely.

Estimation of consumable prices (have not checked the ECP website for exact prices):

1. Oil 5w30 - Castrol A1 - £25
  2. Oil filter - £4
  3. Air filter - £8
  4. Pollen filter - the ECP one DOES NOT FIT AS IS TOO WIDE (ask me how I know) - go on eBay on the link I have provided on 1st page - £11. The eBay one is also carbon, much better quality.
  5. Spark plugs - either eBay US for a set of 4 (£38) or try Toyota. Not sure how much they cost at Mr T, any ideas?
  6. Brake fluid change - £5 for 1L of Pagid Dot4 fluid and use a cola bottle and a bit of aquarium pipe to make a single person bleed kit. Or just buy one for about £5.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links