Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance Claim, Case By Other Insurer?

Finn Frog

I was told by the police that my Toyota Yaris saved my life today. A car pulled out on me at a junction. I was going 50 mph. My car has crumpled, all airbags blown, front hanging off. The other car was thrown across the road and over a hedge. Both myself and the other driver walked away with minor injuries. The safety performance of these cars is amazing.

I notified my insurer (churchill) this morning

I was contacted by the other drivers insurer (Liverpool Victoria) this afternoon to say they/ their driver was accepting full fault.

They have asked me if I want them (Liverpool Victoria) to take on the case alone, and I close the case with churchill. I phoned churchill, they said its up to me. Churchill said they are a fair sized insurer, and there may be a speed advantage with the case being taken by a single party.

Should I be worried the other drivers insurance company will not look after my interests as well as my insurer will (or should)? Chiefly I am concerned they may under value the car more than my own insurance company will.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

What a day.

Thanks

They are a good company, but get their offer in writing and then all should be well.

If you're not happy with an insurers valuation of your car, have a look at the following information from the Financial Ombudsman:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html

Back in 2005, I had another driver hit the rear of my 2 year old Mazda 323. The other driver accepted full responsibility, and I had the following offer from his insurer (Direct Line): either a cash settlement for the repair; or a repair by their Approved repairer; or a repair by a bodyshop of my choice. I chose the third option and used a Mazda-approved bodyshop. Direct Line provided a hire car (Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia) for the duration of the repair. Absolutely no problems.

Our cars have been insured with LV since the end of 2003, and we've have had no issues with them. In 2008 my partners car was hit by an uninsured drug dealer's car being chased by the police. Again we used a Mazda-approved bodyshop of our choice, and despite being an uninsured claim, have had no increase in premium since due to the claim.

Phew, glad you're okay mate! Sounds like one heck of a crash!

I always get slightly suspicious when insurance companies offer to take the case on themselves, because your insurance people always tell you not to speak to the other party but to direct them through your insurance.

What are the pros and cons? If you are unhappy with things, can you go back to your insurance and get them to take on the case again?

Insurance companies have this arrangement to save money!!

They do not want you going to a "had an accident? not your fault" type company and will generally look after you so you dont go down this route, go with it and dont let any of those scummy companies get hold of the claim

Thanks again. We have decided to go with LV and close the case with Churchill. I felt the additional middle man in the process would not only add time, but also churchill would likely add a % fee of some kind to the settlement in order to cover their administration costs (I would not see this uplift of course). I have told LV that I expect the service we receive to take into account the money saved by our decision to take our insurer out the loop. The LV girl said "of it will sir". I asked her to record this in the case notes.

I'll let you know if it all works efficiently. But, I can say that what ever phone numbers they gave me, they answer within 3 rings, and no automated machine. They took the address of the recovery company that took the car away, and within hours they had sent some one round there to get it and assess the extent of the damage. So far so good. But lets see if we get the full value to replace it like for like.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links