Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fitting Sat Nav

JON.XL

I notice from the options list that sat nav is a dealer fit item, so it can`t be that tricky then, would i be write in assuming that the car is alreadt loaded with the speed sensors. As far as i can tell you will only need a GPS reciever and the cd ROM drive as the screen is allready pre installed.

Am i over simplifying this?

Does any body have any experience of the system in use ?

as far as im aware it is a plug and play unit and literally just plugs into the original screen and stereo??

the antenna sits on the dash and the box sits under the passenger seat

The TNS300 is a DVD based unit, like Jaxx said it is under the front passenger seat. The wires go towards the bulkhead under the carpet.

There is a GPS antenna (not sure where that is) and the display is alternated through the Fuel Computer on the radio. So as well as getting the average Mpg/Speed/Miles remaining you also get another display which is the Sat Nav.

The best thing about it is it a voice, “turn next right”, “in 300 yards do a U turn”, “at the island take 2nd exit” etc.

If you take a wrong turn it will recalculate the navigation.

The voice can be turned off and it has a volume control. The voice gets louder automatically at over 50 mph to take into account road and engine noise, very clever.

The display is the same colour as the radio screen which alternates between different maps depending on the type of journey. This has been an ‘issue’ with some people. IMO it does the job very well, it’s subtle and very effective and nobody would know what you have unless you told them.

On the motorway, the display shows you the next available services and fuel stops.

The POI (Places of Interest) is a great feature.

Where ever you are in the country it will tell you the nearest Hospital, Petrol Station, Leisure, Shopping Centre, Restaurant, Entertainment etc and then sub divide into things like what sort of fuel station do you want! BP Texaco Shell. Even give you the phone numbers! Under the restaurants it gives you the choice of Chinese Indian Cantonese and others...

The list goes on and on.

If you want to go somewhere where there is no road or road name, you can put in the grid reference (lat and long coordinates)

The best feature is, it will always get you home!

I was in Manchester, it was dark, raining and had no idea which way to go! A couple a clicks later, and I was safely on the motorway home, it gave me the remaining miles and time it will take!

In my opinion: Worth its wait in gold and I never get lost. Stress free driving and ultimately a lot safer, nothing worse than being in a strange town and not knowing were you are. Can’t wait to go on holiday around the coast with it.

i would love to get one, as the one i use in the accord is awesome. Fair enough its got a massive colour TFT , but the majoroty of the time, u only want to hear voice output.

Put of by the £900 though.

Could the PDA stuff, but its integrated and i think it would look a bit cluttered.

what i still want to know, and have not found out yet, can you get the toyota sat nav fitted and use an aftermarket stereo (sony one) and still be able to hear the voice directions etc??

The voice directions come on over the radio, so I would think yes. It’s a separate unit altogether.

If the stereo is off or listening to the radio or a CD, the voice is consistent until higher speeds when ‘she’ gets a little louder.

SAT-ANIMATION-ANNIMATION-1.gif

yeah 'Elanor' gets a bit louder aswell on mine

I had to turn her off when ‘she’ said

“I told you to go right, Why don’t you listen to me?”

I read in the user manual that it’s advisable not to use the Sat Nav at certain times in the month!

(Sorry girls, only joking!!) :thumbsup:

yeah Elanor gets a bit frisky at times and becomes a right madam if i over shoot a junction.

very seductive tone taken when describing a complex roundabout tho....

right this is weird!

Hey Let me know how you get on. I have been looking for CD Rom for my Toyota OEM unit for ages and wondered where to get the software to install.

Flyfisherman. :thumbsup: