Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr180 Engine Light And Loss Of Power

JON35Y

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I had/have?

My Mrs was droning home the other day and the engine and VSC light came on with the car in limp mode.. I went out and reset the car by disconnecting the Battery and the second time it was successful. Car would only rev to 3.5k slowly. As soon as it passed this it would rev normal. After a couple of flat out rev's it cleared and all is good. Code reader says

B1421 solar sensor n/s

B1424 solar sensor o/s

C1201 engine control system malfunction ABS/VS/TRC

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

And I've checked the EGR before anyone suggests it. It was the cleanest I have ever seen one. Was really surprised..

Hi mark,

Possibly needs an ecu upgrade (software rewrite) and/or modified egr valve. Both can be done by a Toyota dealer.

Either that or your inlet manifold is carboned up even though the egr valve is clean. This would be the abs/vs/trc code. The solar sensors are nothing to worry about and not related.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help, to be honest the manifold looks brand new. Noticeably cleaner than the rest of the engine. Possible it's been done? That would explain. Why the EGR is so clean?!

Yeah it possibly is new. I'd check to see if it's got the latest ecu software on it. Since you cleared the codes, have the lights come back on?

• Like 1

With reference EGR issues Toyota have recently added the EGR cooler assembly on the back of the block as a part that can cause P0400 and/or hesitation, surging and lack of power, the official fix is a kit of around 20 parts removing the EGR cooler and replacing it with a kit from a 2009> engine.

This is in addition to the previously known modified EGR, Intake manifold and ECU reprogramme and is covered with the 7 year/111946mile extension already in place which is a good thing as the job is a biggie ranging from 5-10 hours to complete depending on model and previous modification level

• Like 1

Thanks guys, last night I drove from the house and the car would not rev in gear. Very slight incline and couldn't make it in second gear. I put it in 1st and just revved until it hit the red line. As soon as it passed 3k it revved normally again. After that it's fine. No engine light this time....

My car is 58 plate so prob won't get it done under Toyota warranty? But I've just bought the car so maybe the dealer warranty will cover it? Could you explain what gets changed as I can look myself. It does all look pretty new.

Yeah it possibly is new. I'd check to see if it's got the latest ecu software on it. Since you cleared the codes, have the lights come back on?

i never cleared the codes incase I wanted to take it to the dealer and get repaired.

While I'm here, is there anyway I can just blank off the EGR? Will it cause any lights to come on?

Does anyone else's car idle at 1k when the heater is on?

My car does until it warms up abit then it drops down depending on what tempreture I have on in the car depends on how long it stays at 1k

Sent from my HTC One SV using Toyota OC mobile app

• Like 1

Mine idles at 1k also first thing in the morning.

Thanks guys, last night I drove from the house and the car would not rev in gear. Very slight incline and couldn't make it in second gear. I put it in 1st and just revved until it hit the red line. As soon as it passed 3k it revved normally again. After that it's fine. No engine light this time....

My car is 58 plate so prob won't get it done under Toyota warranty? But I've just bought the car so maybe the dealer warranty will cover it? Could you explain what gets changed as I can look myself. It does all look pretty new.

i never cleared the codes incase I wanted to take it to the dealer and get repaired.

While I'm here, is there anyway I can just blank off the EGR? Will it cause any lights to come on?

As a "58" plate car it would have been registered between Sept 2008 and Mar 2009 unless the mileage is above 111946miles it is still less than 7 years old so within the warranty extension, also yes the dealer warranty could be used.

With your symptoms it appears you may have an EGR related issue as this is covered by the warranty extension get your car back to the dealers and refer the, the Toyota Bulletin EG-0041T-0412 this includes a whole stack of diagnostics including:

MAF and MAP operation

Injector operation

5th injector operation

DPNR operation

and EGR operation

If any of these are at issue then they are replaced and the latest intake manifold, EGR valve and later EGR cooler kit will be fitted.

DO NOT clear the codes stored as these are required by your dealer to support there claim to Toyota under the warranty extension.

Blocking the EGR on a 180 engine can trigger a EGR flow fault code also recently I have had a customers claim for a faulty DPNR refused because an independent engineer appointed by Toyota proved that the driver had blocked his EGR after inspecting the EGR system and looking at stored diagnostic info, because the EGR was blocked he concluded that the DPNR had been put under additional stress due to the increased exhaust emissions bypassing the EGR and because the car had been unofficially modified away from manufacturers standard voiding the warranty policy.

• Like 1

As a "58" plate car it would have been registered between Sept 2008 and Mar 2009 unless the mileage is above 111946miles it is still less than 7 years old so within the warranty extension, also yes the dealer warranty could be used.

With your symptoms it appears you may have an EGR related issue as this is covered by the warranty extension get your car back to the dealers and refer the, the Toyota Bulletin EG-0041T-0412 this includes a whole stack of diagnostics including:

MAF and MAP operation

Injector operation

5th injector operation

DPNR operation

and EGR operation

If any of these are at issue then they are replaced and the latest intake manifold, EGR valve and later EGR cooler kit will be fitted.

DO NOT clear the codes stored as these are required by your dealer to support there claim to Toyota under the warranty extension.

Blocking the EGR on a 180 engine can trigger a EGR flow fault code also recently I have had a customers claim for a faulty DPNR refused because an independent engineer appointed by Toyota proved that the driver had blocked his EGR after inspecting the EGR system and looking at stored diagnostic info, because the EGR was blocked he concluded that the DPNR had been put under additional stress due to the increased exhaust emissions bypassing the EGR and because the car had been unofficially modified away from manufacturers standard voiding the warranty policy.

thank you so much for that info.very helpful. The car managed to get me to Manchester airport so I'm on holiday and forgetting about it for a week. As soon as I get back I will be phoning toyota and getting it booked in for a look. Once again I appreciate your help in this!

Just got back off holiday and the car is on my mind again....

The car has full service history but it's not toyota service history. Will this affect my warranty for the above fault?

No as long as the service schedule is maintained it will be fine

• Like 1

Just spoken to the dealership where the car was at last and has been in for the same issue a few times. Last time the EGR was cleaned along with the pipe to the cylinder head. (Badly carboned up) and the inlet manifold was replaced. Software update on the ecu and that cured it. They have offered to have the car back in and look at it.

Can anyone tell me what I need to be mentioning to them and what the next course of action they should take please. So I know if they are doing all they can for me.

Many thanks.

Just spoken to the dealership where the car was at last and has been in for the same issue a few times. Last time the EGR was cleaned along with the pipe to the cylinder head. (Badly carboned up) and the inlet manifold was replaced. Software update on the ecu and that cured it. They have offered to have the car back in and look at it.

Can anyone tell me what I need to be mentioning to them and what the next course of action they should take please. So I know if they are doing all they can for me.

Many thanks.

Bulletin EG-0041T-0412 has only just been upfated to include the extra modifications required on the EGR cooler system so if the other EGR mods have been done then the EGR cooler would be the repair required.

Brilliant, thanks again for your help. Is this a known cure or is it still up in the air as to if it will fix the issue?

The bulletin contains info about the latest fix for blocking EGR issues so is a fix for these, the one thing it cannot do it stop the soot coming from either excessive engine oil consumption ( Greater than 0.5lt/621miles ), poor quality fuels, and use of the wrong engine oil ( car should use 0w30 C2 low ash, 5w30 C2 low ash is also ok )

How do u find out if your car is one that might need this doing

Ok cool, I only use ultimate or V power in my engines so no danger there. I will see what they have to say then and go from there. Just one more thing. Was there an issue with head gaskets on these engines? Seem to think I've heard about that somewhere? My engines only done 44k so hopefully no danger of that?!

How do u find out if your car is one that might need this doing

Just because a car may fit within a recognised range for a known fault doesn't mean you can automatically have a repair carried out, Toyota have extended the warranty to 7 years / 111946 miles on 2.0 1ADFTV D4d , 2.2 2ADFTV and 2.2 2ADHTV D4d engined cars such as Auris, Avensis, Verso & RAV when exibiting the following issue:

Head gasket failure, cars built up to late 2007

Excessive oil consumption ( greater than .5lt/621miles ) cars built up to late 2009

P0400 EGR clogging

P2002 DPNR blocking

P1386 Blocked 5th injector clogged

I am just curious and I would imagine others are aswell ... Thanks

Ok cool, I only use ultimate or V power in my engines so no danger there. I will see what they have to say then and go from there. Just one more thing. Was there an issue with head gaskets on these engines? Seem to think I've heard about that somewhere? My engines only done 44k so hopefully no danger of that?!

Yes there was a known issue with coolant compatibility where it damaged the head gaskets but this was fixed in late 2007, if your head gasket has failed then it would only be covered if your dealer can prove that the gasket has failed due to carbon stamping which is caused by excessive oil consumption.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links