Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota To Recall 6.4 Million Vehicles

Doosan

Just heard this on the news this morning, will affect a few models as well as the Rav4 from 2004 to 2010.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota-says-recall-6-58-050257773.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26950970

Spiral cable assembly?

No other details yet on the Toyota recall checker.

Spiral cable assembly?

No other details yet on the Toyota recall checker.

Extract from Toyota Recall Checker page

"Recall Checker

9th April Update

Please note this recall checker includes details of those Yaris and Urban Cruiser subject to the Seat Rail Spring or Steering Column Bracket recall. It also includes details on Hilux subject to the Spiral Cable Assembly recall.

It does not currently contain details for RAV4 subject to the Spiral Cable Assembly recall. We will be updating this very soon, so please visit us again shortly."

Toyota recall site now updated to include RAV4 spiral cable issue.

Went to the recall site and put in my Reg number and came back a green tick so no action necessary. :clap:

Mine came back with a green tick as well - I wonder what the parameters are for this recall as the range is very broad (2004-2010) and 24,000 vehicles affected, which toyota say half are the Hilux, so thats 12,000 Rav4's over 6 years. What sort of percentage is that of the total number of rav4's sold in that period?

Mine came back with a green tick as well - I wonder what the parameters are for this recall as the range is very broad (2004-2010) and 24,000 vehicles affected, which toyota say half are the Hilux, so thats 12,000 Rav4's over 6 years. What sort of percentage is that of the total number of rav4's sold in that period?

Approx 67,500 Rav 4's first registered in UK between 2004 and 2010 - so less than 18%.

Approx 67,500 Rav 4's first registered in UK between 2004 and 2010 - so less than 18%.

Must be a very specific range of rav4s then - which makes me think its odd its such a large age range. I thought recalls were down to (i) all cars in a range or (ii) specific manufacturing runs which would be a smaller amount.

Sounds like they just used whatever 'spriral cables' were lying about in the storeroom!

Usually if car manufacturers source components externally, they use more than one component manufacturer to ensure continuity of supply. Could be that either one design or one component manufacturer's cable is the source of the issue.

With the accelerator pedal recall of 2009/2010, two manufacturers of the pedal assembly were used - Denso (whose assembly was problem free) and another company which was part of GM (whose assembly gave the problems).

Mine OK too.

Actually if it was going to fail I would have expected it before 135K approx

Green tick here also (MY09, registered April '10, 4.3 2.2 d4d xtr manual). Be very interested to hear of anyone not getting the green tick. The issue seems to be this 'spiral cable' can damage and/or activate the driver's airbag.

Just as a matter of interest - the spiral cable is commonly called a clock-spring - it looks just like one. It's positioned in the steering wheel boss and maintains an electrical connection to the airbag, horn button and steering wheel controls whilst allowing the wheel to turn. Quite a delicate device which can break or short and is usually replaced after airbag deployment.

Just as a matter of interest - the spiral cable is commonly called a clock-spring - it looks just like one. It's positioned in the steering wheel boss and maintains an electrical connection to the airbag, horn button and steering wheel controls whilst allowing the wheel to turn. Quite a delicate device which can break or short and is usually replaced after airbag deployment.

I remember one on my old Vauxhall Omega, when I took the steering wheel off the damn thing unravelled and it took me ages to get it back together again! It was like a thin plastic tape coiled up around the wheel boss.

I repaired a snapped one on my daughter's corsa once it's not an onerous task.

Thanx for the info guys as to what this cable is and what it does. Anyone NOT got a green tick yet ?

• 2 weeks later...

Good job this thread reminded me. I checked mine a couple of days after the news and got the green tick. Just checked again and says its subject to a recall. Will let you guys know the outcome.

Yep, the same here. Must have got there act together :rolleyes:

What's the recall site link someone please so i can see if i am going to get a green tick too? :driving:

This doesn't exactly inspire confidence! If people who have already checked and been given the all clear then check again and get a different result! I've checked 3 times and got the green tick so am I supposed to check every week in case it changes?

From another topic in the Yaris club, the recall checker took a few days to be updated with the information on the Rav 4 - which would explain the initial OK's that people received and the subsequent different results that some have since had.

Thank you Doosan, Dave, for sending the link....i am pleased to say i got a green tick too! :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links