Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo/engine Management Problem

lil 507

Hi

The problem is with a Rav4 XT3 diesel 2006 160 000 miles.

For the last two years there has been significant movement of gear lever in 5th gear when accelerating. Diagnosis was wear on gearbox - use until fails - then new box.

When cruising in 5th gear, if revs drop to around 2000rpm (approx. 60 mph) and accelerator applied with force, engine management puts car into limp home mode with obvious reduction in road speed. This is a scenario which may happen frequently on dual carriageways/motorways.

Remedy- come to standstill-switch engine off, wait 2-3 mins. Restart engine, management warning lights on but engine will rev. Management system check by Toyota service-diagnosis is fault in turbo which tries to respond to acceleration at around 2000 revs and cannot so, so management system cuts in. Turbo replacement suggested.

It seems to me that:

(1) The problem is not the gearbox

(2) Turbo replacement is a bit drastic when it only performs badly under certain specific circumstances.

I have searched for similar problems and cleaning the EGR valve/Stepper motor have met with some success.

I would value any opinions members may have regarding this problem.

The gearbox is highly unlikely to be the issue here. Key thing when the fault occurs is to read the fault codes that cause the engine to go into limp mode. Has the vane movement of the turbo been checked?

what are the code errors?

if they did not tell you buy a reader and get them yourself.

i have had a similar problem once!! over taking with foot hard down and i lost all but tickover revs!!

has never happened again but the code i got p02051 i think was related to turbo overboost.

possibly linked to variable vanes sticking as suggested above.run a bit of bg244 in the next fill up...may help.

cleaned all i could (vsv egr etc) and started to run on BP/ESSO fuel and the fault has not returned.

a search on here will get you plenty of reading on the subject.

Ok this is a common fault yet Mr T not done a recall for it.

it probably isn't the turbo

Ive done the Turbo, ERG and SCV valves not make any difference. There is a small sensor valve thing above the EGR which is connected via vaccum pipes. Disconnect and then spray with WD40 internally. the problem then settles for a while. Invest in a fault reader. You will probably get P1215 or something very similar, It means a turbo over boost has been detected. Just clear it and carry on. If it's a major fault the code will come back immediately.

I've had this since 70K and am now at 135K and just keep going. I spray up at every service and prior to a long journey towing the caravan when it mostly happens. Then only about once or twice on a journey. Avoid top gear when towing.

Hi lil 507,

Is your rav 4 a 3rd generation rav, or a late 2nd generation?

If it hasnt been changed in a while, id try a new fuel filter as if the fuel is a bit rough, itll cause the engine to run rough, even at higher speeds with low revs.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

if your turbo was making whine noise for last year, then started to lose oil, to the point of drips on the driveway, and now all turbo pressure has disappeared, but no engine light has come on, would this be the main impeller worn and now jammed or the variable vains have jammed. Ill check the actuator rod for free movement when I get up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links