Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Realistic Alternatives To The Iq?

Blue Kingfisher

What are other's choices of a genuine alternative to the IQ?

My own parameters are - small, fun to drive, quirky and reliable (to name a few!). I totally dislike "cheap" looking finishes inside and out.

I quite like the Mini Coupe but it is very expensive.

The Volkswagen Up seems very popular but that's part of it's problem, too popular. I love the iQ as it's sometimes weeks between me seeing another one on the road.

I've never driven an UP either so not sure what the interior finish is like.

It's hard trying to think of a good alternative, the iQ does everything I want in a fantastically well engineered and quality way. I'll be sticking with mine for a few years yet. :)

Ford KA maybe? I've only been in the first generation ones of those and boy did they feel cheap and nasty in there!

Craig.

• Like 1

I actually noticed today that the VW Up! Is the same as Skoda's version of their Citigo. The Citigo does look sporter too. I've grown on VW's Up! And quite like it apart from the tailgate.

There is a few cars like this that have went down the IQ route but I can't think of anyone who's came on top of the IQ as of yet.

• Like 1

Thanks Craig, my partner has a "Rock" UP and it is a good car (I'd better say that!).

It has a funky finish with Rock UP decals and very nice alloys and great visibility.

The whole car feels solid but the bits I'm not too keen on are the overall shape, the seats, higher road noise than the IQ and the engine seems to struggle at times.

I now have an IQ3 and the UP certainly lacks the extra details and controls that the 3 has - plus of course the extra welly of a 1.3 engine!

• Like 1

Toyota expect the new Aygo, available mid 2014 with much higher specifications to fill gap the and to increase sales far higher than IQ achieved

• Like 1

The VW Up!, Skoda Citigo and Seat Mio are all built in the same factory on Slovakia, and differ in front and rear treatments, interior details and trim. I've had a Citigo Elegance five door for a few days and found it OK - though not sure whether the stop/start system really suits a three cylinder engine.

There is a new Ford Ka coming out towards the end of 2014, to replace the Fiat-developed, Fiat-built current model. The new Ka will be based on the strengthened platform from the last generation Fiesta, will be five doors, and is being developed in Brazil (where they have a totally different version of the current Ka to Europe), and may be built in Brazil for Europe.

• Like 1

There are of course alternitives to the IQ if you are thinking of buying new.

If you wish to spend about half of cost new (approx £5,000 ish) then there is not much that matches it (from a city car comparison perspective) at the moment in my view.

• Like 1

You see i bought the iQ because it can carry 3.5 people and it made by Toyota and i wanted it the size it is. So for me there is no replacement

David

• Like 3

I would not consider a Citigo/Up!/Mii as a replacement for a iQ.

The 3 door has as big a door as an iQ and the Seatbelt is a PITA, and the space no better than Picantos or the likes in the front.

(I have an old style Picanto auto by the way, and a Skoda Fabia 1.4 Twincharger DSG & an iQ Multidrive)

5 Door Citigo/Up!/Mii , well you need to like painted metal.

the Automated Manual. (ASG) is just tragic.

3 door and manual, nippy and good handling, might as well look at Fiesta ST,

Even used.

For Auto and the nicest interior around, & almost the same seating position as an iQ,

Audi A1, even a used one, but not cheap.

• Like 1

Toyota expect the new Aygo, available mid 2014 with much higher specifications to fill gap the and to increase sales far higher than IQ achieved

Nice try lol :)

The new Aygo looks good but is it as tiny as the IQ? Does it squeeze into those miniscule city street spaces? Does it do a U turn in a normal UK city street? I doubt it.

We didn't buy the IQ for looks, though those have since grown on us. We bought it as we needed a small city car that you could park anywhere. The new Aygo (nice as it is) is just the same as all the other offerings. The IQ was refreshingly different.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

If I could find a (nippy) reliable small car with zero road tax that did at least 60 MPG and 5 start NCAP safety and low cost serviceing I could buy second hand for around£5,000 with no more than 35,000 miles on the clock it would be an alternitive to the IQ for me.

I have not found such a car as yet !

So I am sticking with the IQ until i find a better alternitive.

All comments welcomed.

• Like 2

For me, it is exciting.

I want to look around for a new car the end of this year.

But there are a lot of nice small cars on the market at the end of this year.

My list.

1. Aygo 1.0

2. Citroen C1 1.0 or 1.2

3.Peugeot 108 1.0 or 1.2

4 The new twingo Because it has the smallest turning circle on the market.

5. I like the new Citroen Cactus.

Choices, choices.

My Toyota IQ is a very reliable car, has a very small turning circle and drives 20km to 1 litre petrol.

My new car mustl have the same demands.

And I think the new Aygo would be a nice alternative.

So before I make a decision I will enjoy driving my IQ. It is economical to drive, nice to park, comfortable and last but not least a very special car on the road.

People don't know the car and are always looking to it.

The new Twingo is my favorite. But it is reliable and economical?

• Like 2

I agree with your choice of the Aygo, the new model looks great and I can't wait to test it out.

• Like 1

The Aygo does not have a 1.2 engine....no CVT....lame plastic construction...less airbags....lame crosscolored-front ... only basic colors ......bad turning radius (all compared to the iQ)

The Twinge is a Renault.. we know what that means... :-(

The Cactus is Citroen (we know what that means in reliability)... :-( And way too big... :-(

I myself am thinking maybe (if I must buy a new car / small and economical and environmental friendly) a New Smart or Electric Smart / maybe a cabrio Smart / or a Mitsubishi MiEV... Or a secondhand iQ... :-))))

• Like 1

Peter I don't agree with your opinion.

Quality of French cars is a lot improved.

Quality of German cars is not so good anymore.

If you read the vw-up forums you know everything about quality of german cars....

• Like 1

Quality of French cars has improved of late has it? Hmmmm.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/full-results/1206903

With the exception of the Citroen DS3 (which is a cracking motor), the French seem to be languishing nearer the bottom than the top. If you look lower down at the manufacturers results you'll see that overall the French manufacturers are poor.

My experience of French cars is that they're usually very stylish, very comfortable, but beset with electrical problems - continually. They may work well in dry Southern France, but give them a few years in the damp British weather and they dissolve into !Removed!.

And that's before we get on to their dealers.... :)

• Like 1

I agree with Grumpy, French are stylish / comfortable / don't last (not that many cars today do) French have lots of electrical problems.

Honda is up at the top now in the "small car range" I think !

• Like 1

French? Better? ... lol... yeah better than worst is still bad... it's not good..or best...

But indeed French cars are made to use... so every French car in Paris has dents... and indeed very comfy..

If I would have money I would buy the Citroen C6.... very lovely car and has hydrolics... I hate the hydrolics, but it's a very nice feature ... A long time ago I had a Citroen DS19 Comfort... with hydrolics... drove like a boat... but you could go up and down... LOL...

French? Better? ... lol... yeah better than worst is still bad... it's not good..or best...

But indeed French cars are made to use... so every French car in Paris has dents... and indeed very comfy..

If I would have money I would buy the Citroen C6.... very lovely car and has hydrolics... I hat the hydrolics, but it's a very nice feature ... A long time ago I had a Citroen DS19 Comfort... with hydrolics... drove like a boat... but you could go up and down... LOL...

I too would by a C6 for comfort however I would not expect it to last much longer than 60,000 miles !

• Like 1

Yeah, I tend to agree. The mechanicals are getting better, up to at least Ford/Vauxhall levels now, but I feel they still aren't serious enough with QA and the electrics still suck.

I have a friend who loves his Peugeots; He's currently after a 308 to replace his deceased 308, but he does bring a multimeter with him when he goes to look at them! :lol:

You really want the french looking after things like appearance and interior comfort, and jappy/germans looking after the bits that make the car work :lol:

• Like 1

Look out for the Yamaha Motiv designed by Gordon Murray of McLaren F1 fame

Do a search for Yamaha Motiv. You'll get lots of hits with photos of the prototypes.

If it proceeds to production it's likely to be supplied with the option of petrol or electric power trains.

• Like 3

You really want the french looking after things like appearance and interior comfort, and jappy/germans looking after the bits that make the car work :lol:

Never thought I'd agree with you, but you're sooo right here.

Look out for the Yamaha Motiv designed by Gordon Murray of McLaren F1 fame

Do a search for Yamaha Motiv. You'll get lots of hits with photos of the prototypes.

If it proceeds to production it's likely to be supplied with the option of petrol or electric power trains.

They have so obviously bought some rights to the now phased out IQ.

I hope it's a winner. Toyota Europe seem to be making some strange decisions of late.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links