Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.1 Clutch Life

garethoevans

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1998 Rav Mk1 with 74K on the clock. Looking at the log book it has been serviced meticulosly every year by a Toyota Garage. It drives brilliantly, bar the fact I find it is difficult at times to put into 1st and 2nd gear which I understand is part of it's charm? I was wondering what the clutch life is on these cars? I understand that it all depeneds on how it's been treated but would like to gauge at what mileage it may go.

Cheers

Gareth

How long is a piece of string! :lol:

It will depend on many factors, type of driver, has it towed anything, etc etc. On an older vehicle there may be oil contamination of the centre plate if the input shaft seal is leaking, causing the clutch to stick and not break off. So whilst 74K is not that many miles,the car is 16 years old. I would be changing the gearbox oil for one of the modern oils and see if that helps with the baulking

Kingo :thumbsup:

:) Cheers Kingo for that advice. Shall book her to get that done. Presume it's not that massive a job or maybe something I could do myself?

Oil change is not too bad, new clutch is a big heavy job and not really DIY unless you have the facilities and tools to carry out that type of work

I have just bought a 1998 R Reg with 113,400 on the clock and the gear change is silky smooth so something is wrong with yours. Don't have a fix for you but I hope an oil change makes a difference because I have just changed the clutch on my Rover 75 CDTi and it was a pig of a job.

Good luck.

I hope so too. My last car was. Rover 75 CDT Conn. Very different to the Rav! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Toyota OC mobile app

Mine is a Rover 75 Connie SE. As you say, very different to the Rav, as I found out when I drove the Rav 195 miles back from buying it in Hull. Not a bad drive but quite a bit noisier than the Rover.

Re the difficulty in engaging 1st and 2nd: are you sure you aren't low on clutch fluid?

And some. I've not checked the clutch fluid (or know how to). Think I'll get it replaced and hope that sorts the issue....

Just taken the car to the local garage. Went for a spin and the clutch is definitely slipping under load. New clutch time it is. Shall be getting local garage to sort. Wating on a quote now.

As previously noted - check for oil contamination when stripping the clutch and possible leaks from the gearbox input shaft.

Thanks for you advise.

• 2 weeks later...

New clutch and now the old Rav drives like should. Really fun drive around the country lanes and considerably more nimble than the Fiat punto borrowed whilst getting her done. A surprise considering the Rav is much larger etc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links