Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Testing

hihopes

Hi everyone , I've recently got a 57 plate T180, after an initial glitch with the solenoid jamming holding open the egr valve performance has improved but not mind blowing. Is there a way to test turbo output?? variable movement etc? And has anyone got a realistic 50 -70 in 4th and 6th time just to compare, I might be expecting too much :-)

expecting to much from the car that is, i know this is a geat forum for info :cheers:

just out of interest, what car did you drive before the t180?

i wasn't blown away by the t180's performance to be honest. I feel that it's performance is blunted by the long gearing. I do enjoy the smoothness of the engine though, the power/torque is quite even across the rev range, it's not in a big 'lump' like the german diesels.

i had a passat 140 break sport , drove just like a petrol, got to say i think it would thrash the t180 ,somethings not right ,gutted!!

Just wondering , is it normal for this engine , 3500 rpm and you need to change up no more power ?? it just runs out of steam :ermm:

Yes. According to the spec max power is achieved at 3500rpm.

Ah right , thanks, maybe not as busted as i thought, so racing up through the gears you would change up at 3500 ?? damn thats going to take some getting used too.lol

Phil ,would you expect to be able to keep up with a leon FR on a spirited drive home??

I'm not sure to be honest. Search YouTube - I recall there being an amateur video between a t180 and a Leon 1.9tdi 150

Hi Andrew, the 50-70 time in 4th gear ought to be pretty rapid but not in 6th ! The revs are far too low at that speed to expect it to pull away quickly. 5th gear would be a lot kinder to the engine & it would be in the meat of it's torque. As a rule, I never use 6th gear below 60 mph. This engine isn't made to be revved like a petrol, but you can ride a long & strong wave of torque.

chiped t180 avensis

50 - 75 =5.4

50 - 90 =9.5

private roads of course

thanks bObt180, thats just what i need for a comparison.

I'll post figures for mine too (back at home tuesday), hopefully get a few more people adding there's,standard one's too !

Which chip did you go for?? :clap:

Take a look at our dyno graph of an Auris T180

People confuse power (BHP) with torque. The max torque on the Auris we used was 2463 RPM, revving it to 3.5K and more (as some have said on here) will be no good at all. Take a look at the right hand side of the graph, power, the max power on our Dyno model was at 3637 RPM, power drops right off past this RPM, and would never pull any more past these revs

Our tuning box is mapped specifically to the engine you have, unlike other chip kits that have a generic file inside where you have to faff about with jumper settings in order to get the right feel for the car

Kingo :thumbsup:

post-34014-0-31378800-1397489385_thumb.j

Thanks for the information Kingo, as soon as I can confirm everything is working correctly i'll be in touch.

I just don't get the feeling its boosting correctly, on a mid throttle its very keen to accelerate below 2000 rpm , above that it slows down rather than speeding up as the engine comes on boost, i was expecting the turbo to pull faster until it reached its peak output.

If i had a boost issue would i get a warning light?

There's no boost whistle or dump noise, but i assume that's because its a variable geometry turbo ( first one I've had).

Anything i can do to check boost ?

Thanks Andrew

A rolling road basic power/torque run would give you the boost readings too .....

looking online for a local setup , might give it a go to tell once and for all :cheers:

Archoil 6500 brilliant so far!!

Done around 40 mile since adding it and filling up.

A couple of time on gentle throttle its coughed and spluttered and smoke starts belching out the back only for a second or two.

Each time it does the engine seems a little looser and smoother.

Its no longer hesitant to go over 2000 revs and pulls cleanly now to 3250 before it roughens up.

The car is much more like I was expecting much smoother and quicker.

Hopefully this process will continue and the carbon and crap stuck in the system will be a thing of the past,fingers crossed :clap::clap:

The previous owner's driving can account for a lot of things. I witnessed a woman start her car up in very cold conditions a while ago & rev the poor engine into the stratosphere, whilst slipping the clutch so badly it actually stunk in the air. She moved it across the street & walked back to the other side - weird. But I felt sorry for that poor car - and the next owner !

Hell yes, poor car , I've got an old neighbor exactly like that a few doors up, never shifts out of 3rd,definitely no carbon build up on her's but no clutch or piston rings either.lol

Thanks for everyone's comments and help, fingers crossed( and touching wood) the car is sorted :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

hihopes.

where are these performance figures you promised

Sorry for the delay, had a few things going on. The archoil seems to have done as much as it's it going to. The car feels so much better.

As promised

50 - 75 =5.8

50 - 90 =10 dead

also private roads

In the garage tomorrow, oil change,fuel filter,archoil fiction modifier and turbo cleaner and then chip time. I'll repost when it's done :-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links