Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashboard Warning Light

Pabster

This is the second post requesting help in the two weeks since I joined this forum: apologies for bothering everyone and renewed thanks for the helpful replies to my previous question.

Just a reminder: the car is a Yaris 1.4 Diesel, 6 speed manual, my wife's - not my own; 85,000 km on the clock; used daily for a 100km return commute; we live in very rural France. Current question is as follows. My wife ran out of fuel on her long cross-country commute yesterday; to her credit, it's the first time she's ever done this and she feels really embarrassed about it! A kind farmer went and bought her some diesel and started her off again. Some time after driving away, a dashboard warning light apparently came on: amber engine icon. This remains on, now, as soon as the car is started.

The (French) car manual says that this indicates an engine anomaly and the vehicle must be inspected by a Toyota dealer immediately. We shan't be driving it at all, except to a local garage (not Toyota, unfortunately) which, irritatingly, won't be possible until next week. My questions are:

Is the warning likely to be as a result of draining the car of diesel?

Does it indicate damage has been caused?
Is it likely to be difficult/expensive to fix?

The questions probably indicate how little car knowledge we've got, which is why I'm especially grateful to anyone who takes the time to read and reply to this post.

The fuel filter may be partially blocked due to sucking any silt/water/debris from the bottom of the tank when fuel ran out.

The fuel injectors may be ditto.

I suspect the fuel filter : iirc there is a bleed screw to enable water to be drained out (if like the Mark1). If so, first port of call.

Thank you for the advice, Madasafish!

The good news: it turned out only to be necessary to reset the engine management light - the amber icon on the dashboard - and the car has been running smoothly for the last 50km. Thank goodness!

The slightly less than good news: resetting the light cost 71 euros (roughly £60) at our local garage. That seems a lot, unless it's more complicated/time-consuming than it sounds (the garage said that they didn't have to do anything else - no investigating, adjusting etc)?

Whilst I'm not au fait with French labour rates, I would assume that 71 euros is less than the cost of one hours labour, so could well be reasonable.

• Like 1

£70 for scanning and resetting an ECU code it cost me, so in English money on current exchange rates it would have cost £57 which is £20 cheaper

That's cheered us up a lot. (In my boundless naivety/stupidity, I thought that 'resetting' the thing might mean just pushing a little button!) Good (a) not to have paid over the odds and (b) to be able still to trust the local garage: they're very nice and, as we're in the middle of nowehere, they're also very convenient. Thanks to all who have read and provided helpful info!

That's cheered us up a lot. (In my boundless naivety/stupidity, I thought that 'resetting' the thing might mean just pushing a little button!) Good (a) not to have paid over the odds and ( B) to be able still to trust the local garage: they're very nice and, as we're in the middle of nowehere, they're also very convenient. Thanks to all who have read and provided helpful info!

They use a laptop to read the fault codes (seen a local garage do it) not sure how they reset an ECU unless they do it the old fashioned way and disconnect/reconnect the Battery. it was Toyota main dealer that stinged me £70 for it.