Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius 2012 Unusally Moves Forwards And Backwards

Anuka Liyanage

When I apply brakes, and press the P button, and release the brakes, my car jumps/moves forwards and backwards unusually. Is this normal, because I did a full inspection at Toyota, and no mechanical faults were found. Thank you

All automatic gearboxes do that when you engage Park. The car will roll ever so slightly until it engages against the parking pawl.

Allowing excessive rocking will damage the transmission, so ensure the car is totally stationary before engaging Park.

When I apply brakes, and press the P button, and release the brakes, my car jumps/moves forwards and backwards unusually. Is this normal, because I did a full inspection at Toyota, and no mechanical faults were found. Thank you

Its sounds as though you are using only the "P" function on the transmission when parking the car, as mentioned above this is not the correct way to hold the car when parked and long term usage in this manner can damage the transmission . After you have braked to a stop, engage P and then apply the foot operated parking brake do NOT rely only on the transmission park function. Edited by Devon Aygo

apply the foot operated parking brake do rely only on the transmission park function.

Presume this should read "do not rely only on the transmission park function"

apply the foot operated parking brake do rely only on the transmission park function.

Presume this should read "do not rely only on the transmission park function"

Oops quite right, post edited.

Cheers

The hybrid rock feature

All the automatics I've driven have done it, ranging from a Rover 25 auto to a fully loaded Mercedes S600L.

Engage Park, let foot off brake and car rolls 1cm forward or back until the pawl engages.

I'm using the P position in my touring sports when parked at red lights, waiting for trains at railway crossings etc. Is this wrong?Should I always keep the brake pedal pressed?

I'm using the P position in my touring sports when parked at red lights, waiting for trains at railway crossings etc. Is this wrong?Should I always keep the brake pedal pressed?

I do both depending on how I feel at the time. I guess that means that both are right. Take your pick.

Oh no. Not THAT topic again.

:jerry::pepsi:

• Like 1

Lol. I guess the 'textbook ' procedure is to slow down to a stop using brakes, press, 'P', depress parking brake, keep foot off brake pedal. Though I personally only do this when I know I'm stopping for more than a few seconds (ie. the odd traffic light that I know takes ages).

I would use "P" only if on flat ground, especially in a queue where brake lights would be disturbing for the person behind.

I absolutely hate auto drivers who keep their brake lights on when sat for extended periods.

I also use "P" when just parked in the garage so the brakes don't bind as it will be stored for at least 12 hoiurs.

You sure it's just auto drivers? Hmmm. lol. I have a picture where I'm sat in 3 lanes of heavy, stationary traffic. All the cars have their brake lights on and most of them will be manuals - the cars were Clio's, Seats, Vans etc.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links