Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avenis Tourer 2010, Rattle In Steering And Loud Suspension

Aidan Mc P

Hi, I've just bought a 2010 Avensis Tourer estate, 2.0 L

Driving smoothly (yet not quite so quietly) on motorway/main roads, yet on any slightly uneven surface/speed bumps/potholed road, there feel's like a rattle in steering wheel / suspension.

Also the car seems to feel every uneven bump on the road surface in the suspension and bounces slightly.

Any other drivers experienced these problems? Any tips or ideas before I call the car dealer in the morning to complain?

Cheers,

Aidan

I had the same problem with my 2011 model and it was the steering column which was worn. Replaced under guarantee.

Thanks for the reply, gives me something to suggest to him to check/repair.

I've found a recent receipt and invoice from last month in the car, from a Toyota main dealer for work carried out with the steering.

A 'spiral cable and steering angle sensor' were replaced. Does this sound familiar as regards the steering column?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have my 12 d4d and this sounds like the same issue I had. Took it back to the dealer and he changed the pins on the brake calipers and that sorted it for me. Appears to be a known issue with the t27. I think I seen another thread on it here. Now it feels nice and solid thru the steering wheel. The it was annoying me cos I traded an 08 d4d t25 which didn't have one rattle on it. Anyway sorted now and so good so far.

I had the same problem with my 2011 model and it was the steering column which was worn. Replaced under guarantee.

Worn? Great longevity unless your car is miley, would be interested in your mileage total.

Worn? Great longevity unless your car is miley, would be interested in your mileage total.

At the time it was done the milage was only 25000. It is a known problem and subject to a recall on some models due to the metal used being incorrectly hardened. Toyota deny that my particular car should have been recalled but it seems to me like the same problem.

Thankyou revband, mine suffers from clanking coming from the steering column, it is fine all winter when temperatures are cooler but once the sun shines here arrives the issue.

• Like 1

Thankyou revband, mine suffers from clanking coming from the steering column, it is fine all winter when temperatures are cooler but once the sun shines here arrives the issue.

I've got the same issue. In the next few weeks I am going to Toyota service center because somebody made a hole in my front bumper and I have to fix it. So I plan to complain about that + the rattle noise from the front calipers. Let see if they will fix that...

I was told that this is "normal" if it does not get worse. It has been the same for 5 years now. But I would really LOVE if someone knows the cure for it. Otherwise, my Avensis has been PERFECT! (the only reason why I tolerate this issue for 5 years)

I was told that this is "normal" if it does not get worse. It has been the same for 5 years now. But I would really LOVE if someone knows the cure for it. Otherwise, my Avensis has been PERFECT! (the only reason why I tolerate this issue for 5 years)

My 8 yr old Aygo is better in the steering department never a clunk or other related noise. The Avensis is supposed to be a great car it isn't living upto expectations.

• 6 months later...

Ive had mt 2010 tourer for about 3 years now and it has run like a dream. However I also have noticed a rattle in the steering column area when driving over a pitted surface. It definately sounds like something has worn in the cabin of the car and is not to be confused with any suspension arms/bushes or rattly brake pads (which incidentally mine has suffered from for years). The car has covered 170K and i would appreciate any less expensive fixes than i would imagine Mr T would charge (they want £100 just to look at it).

• 4 years later...
On 4/13/2014 at 6:02 PM, Aidan Mc P said:

Hi, I've just bought a 2010 Avensis Tourer estate, 2.0 L

Driving smoothly (yet not quite so quietly) on motorway/main roads, yet on any slightly uneven surface/speed bumps/potholed road, there feel's like a rattle in steering wheel / suspension.

Also the car seems to feel every uneven bump on the road surface in the suspension and bounces slightly.

Any other drivers experienced these problems? Any tips or ideas before I call the car dealer in the morning to complain?

Cheers,

Aidan

Hi,

Just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this as my car seems to have developed the same issue ? 

Thanks

Mort

25 minutes ago, MORTHORGAN@HOTMAIL.COM said:

Hi,

Just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this as my car seems to have developed the same issue ? 

Thanks

Mort

Yes,

The Bosch brake system sucks big time but anyway. The only noninvasive solution that do not includes drilling the calipers is ugly but it works. I am reborn since the beginning of the year and my car is completely silent again. I don't know if it is legal in your country but I am totally fine to remove the spring any time I have MOT. When I am not lazy enough to find spring with suitable length I'll remove the metal wire. I did it like that as proof of concept.

It also works for Corolla.

IMG_20190303_121535.jpg

• Like 1

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY...

MORT

• 11 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 12:50 PM, Airfan said:

Yes,

The Bosch brake system sucks big time but anyway. The only noninvasive solution that do not includes drilling the calipers is ugly but it works. I am reborn since the beginning of the year and my car is completely silent again. I don't know if it is legal in your country but I am totally fine to remove the spring any time I have MOT. When I am not lazy enough to find spring with suitable length I'll remove the metal wire. I did it like that as proof of concept.

It also works for Corolla.

IMG_20190303_121535.jpg

Hi, You mention a fix that involves drilling the brake calipers. Do you have any more details?  Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links