Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sr180 Mpg

simey27

Hi all

I've had my SR180 now for 6 months, and overall I am very pleased with it. However I'm not sure if the MPG I am getting is where it should be. I do a round trip commute every day of 25 miles this is a mix of dual carriageway and short burst on the motorway. I also do a mix of driving over the weekend. Whilst I don't really watch the MPG like a hawk as I have my car to give me the performance burst as I need it it currently is giving me an average of 35MPG, I would like to know how this measures up against other 180's. I have recently stopped using supermarket diesel and switched to Shell and this has certainly made a difference to my car.

Thanks

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Hi Simey

had my Sr since February, touch wood all going well, was a bit worried about mpg when I first got it, computer showing, 35-36mpg,

feared that I had made a mistake trading my 2.0 d4d auris in that returned 49-50 constantly over the 6yrs I owned her.

now sr has settled down to my driving and only using BP ultimate pleased to sat getting a good 41-44mpg range, mix of driving styles think it has a sweet spot at around 55mph, and overtaking is a joy, personally I would never use super market fuel, I am a fan

of Forte advanced cleaner and will use it soon, all the best...

• Like 1

the D-CATs are thirsty partly due to the 5th injector.

Burfboy's 44mpg is probably better than most.

• Like 1

Thanks guys that settles my mind, next fill up I'm going to give it a tank of V Power as a treat

I use Esso fuel mostly, as the nearest Shell garage is over 25 mls away & it's very expensive. It gets the occasional tank of Asda diesel & it gives the same MPG overall. Currently averaging 41 MPG, but that will improve when I change back to 'summer' tyres. It's still only 4 or 5 degs C here in the mornings ! Good Year Eagles on at the end of this month methinks.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

How is it you are getting 41MPG ? That's the stuff dreams are made of !!!! Lol I have to confess I do drive mine a tad on the hard side when the misses and the roads allow ! ;-)

My 41mpg is probably down to the easy trip to work and back, guessing mpg would drop in a city environment, etc . i really don't do short trips, so car up to temperature, all 50mph zones so can't push my luck ( all the time!) hope this helps explain my 41mpg checked last night 42.9mpg have been checking this by topping tank and it is accurate.

Ps not being 25yrs old probably helps as well!

• Like 1

Hi I have run my SR180 for just over 5 years and 64,000 miles. If you are not in a rush (all the time) this engine can give good mpg.

I have regularly seen mid to high forties and driving solo on longer mainly motorway runs have occasionally seen low 50s.

The main tips I would say are that around town in cold weather you will never get good mpg on short stop start trips. Under this type of use low thirties is the norm.

Ride the torque and get up to your cruising speed then back off to maintain the desired speed.

6th gear is only good for 60mph plus and there is little to be gained in trying to chug along in too high a gear.

60 - 70 is pretty much the sweet spot for mpg.

By the way I only use supermarket fuel and when I have used better premium fuel it seemed little different apart from making me feel a bit lighter in the pocket.

• Like 1

Simon - the on-board read-out says I get 41 MPG, but using brim-to-brim fill-ups it normally gets around 43 MPG. This is a mix of A & B road commuting, some 60 mph cruising & a fair bit of cross-country. Very little congestion or city stuff & work is 26 miles away.

Peter - spot on. 60-70 mph cruising (whenever possible) is where this engine likes to be. All 6th gear does below that speed is clog up the DPF. I know this because mine will quickly start regenerating the exhaust if the revs drop below 1600 rpm.

I am going to do a long run this weekend and report back. The best I've achieved so far is 41 MPG on a run to York and back do any of you guys think that May have an underlying problem ?. If so the car is still under the Toyota warranty so I've no issues with taking it back to them.

I see plenty of guys talking about the EGR valve being clogged up would this be covered ?

Thanks

Simon

My T180 in 1 year of ownership shows an average of 37 MPG. I tend to rely on my trip meter when I fill up with fuel which has varied between 350 - 420 miles on a full tank. That extra bhp is fun to use!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Drove from Scarborough to Derby and set trip to zero. Averaged 45.1mpg. M1 was restricted to 50mph.

Getting better mpg now weather warmer.Now around 37 - 38mpg. Winter around 32 - 35mpg.

Figures include playing with the torque when accelerating on duel carriageways.

Update for you all, I have now put a tank of Shell advance plus in and WOW what a difference !

The car is smooth on pick up and the power and torque band seems more even. I seem to be now averaging 37.5 around town and commuting. So that alone covers the extra pence per litre ( Ish ! )

Gonna do along run over the weekend and I will report back.

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

Yup - good quality fuel & clean storage tanks do help :)