Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Planning A Long Trip

Wiz201

I'm going on a holiday to Oban, Scotland in August. The distance for me is about 326 miles/5 hours 40 according to google. So according to an AA mileage calculator it'll cost me nearly £50 in petrol each way.

Looking at train option I'll have to do about 4 changes, the whole journey will take 8 hours and cheapest ticket price I've found is £146 just one way.

I'm not convinced yet that doing public transport is cheaper. Will definitely be doing the trip with the Aygo, looking forward to it!

I would take the Aygo every time its surprising how comfy they are on a journey,

Before I had my Aygo's I used to have a Mercedes C220 so have used both on a 500 mile round trip to my roots in Dorset.

& when you get there you will have the freedom to tour the surrounding countryside at your own leisure & whim.

If it's sunny (never a given in Scotland) it's a lovely part of the world (Oban itself, not so much).

Enjoy!

They Aygo seating isn't too bad but it really isn't designed for long journeys so I'd recommend some cushions and stopoffs!

Were you planning to do it in one go or stopping off somewhere for a night, or swapping drivers?

If you're doing it in one go, make a note of some good service stations to stop off at, mainly to stretch but also for emergency toilet stops :lol:.

I also recommend bananas and a some squeezy bottles of water, maybe some random choccy nibbles (Galaxy buttons, M&M's or mini eggs are good as they have Shell that don't melt!) to munch on as you go just to keep you alert; Motorway driving tends to be extremely boring unless there is congestion, then it's just annoying :lol:

The longest journey I've done in my Yaris was ~200 miles from London to Exeter (One shot, no stops! Wish I had a Dashcam then as it was a spectacular run on the A303!) and my shoulders were not happy with me by the time I got there and I was wishing I'd put a cushion against my lower back.

I think it'll be a bit less than £50 for your journey as IIRC the Aygo can go pretty far on a straight motorway run; A tank of V-Power diesel in mine is ~£55 and I only used 3/4 a tank to get to Exeter and back in my Yaris; The Aygo's mpg isn't that far off and petrol is cheaper!

I'm going alone, so my plan is to drive up to my relatives who live in Cairney Hill near Dunfermline in one day which will be four hours. Then its another two and a bit hours to Oban. I've got accommodation and the horse carriage driving holiday within walking distance of each other so the Aygo will have a rest for four days unless I fancy popping out somewhere, then I'll refuel in Oban and steadily make the trip back down south from Saturday to Sunday. I'll have to find my own accommodation on the way back as relatives are going on holiday so I'll try and make it two or three hours down before I stop somewhere for the night.

The Yaris did 6 hours round trip with three quarters of petrol to spare, so considering the Aygo will have better mpg, I may not have to refuel until I find a petrol station in Oban.

I generally make a stop every two hours on a long journey. I drink plenty of diet coke as its caffeine filled stuff but not so much I'm having to pee lol

From Dunfermline you could consider going through Stirling and using the A84 and A85 to Crianlarich (where you join the A82). Tends to be a bit quieter than taking the A82.

• Like 1

One of your problems can be the road noise and on long trips at motor way speeds they can be very disturbing and very tiring in the aygo. Use of radio can cut out some of that but the best bet is to insulate your Aygo properly. It cuts out lot of motor and road noise making the trip lot more quiter and radio/music listening more enjoyable.

One of your problems can be the road noise and on long trips at motor way speeds they can be very disturbing and very tiring in the aygo. Use of radio can cut out some of that but the best bet is to insulate your Aygo properly. It cuts out lot of motor and road noise making the trip lot more quiter and radio/music listening more enjoyable.

How would I do that then?

If 90% of the journey was motorways I could do the journey each way for £30 in my Aygo, road noise is bad in the Aygo, with me putting the radio volume up for I can hear it on motorways I think I has risked my hearing

Some conflicting information on this topic about noise and comfort - it also depends what the comparisons are to and what you're accustomed to

Try taking a couple of travel cushions or similar in case you need use them for comfort.

You usually take regular breaks - so make sure you get out of the car, have a stretch, walk about or whatever, have a quick nap if you're tired (keep the doors locked if you do), etc.

You will probably find a comfortable cruising speed which is a compromise between speed, economy and noise.

We go to the Isle of Skye every May, and it is surprising how many city class cars (Kia Picantos, Suzuki Splashes, etc) one sees being used by holidaymakers - and always quite a few from the continent (Germany, the Netherlands, etc). So I'm sure the Aygo will be more than capable.

Its going to do at least 3.5 hours of motorway so I imagine that'll be its best stretch for fuel economy. Having said that, I don't think it'll do too bad on the two and a bit hours across to Oban if I drive sensibly and watch my braking etc. I think it'll be easier driving the second leg as its less boring to do roads that bend and twist and you need to constantly adjust speed etc.

Well there's now doubt that our ickle cars are a lot noisier, but I guess we're just used to it :lol:

It's quite a stark contrast doing the same journey in an Avensis or a big heavy comfort car like a merc or passat some such!

The difference is we can do the journey without having to stop to refuel every 3 miles :lol:

It does make you really appreciate the lovely smoothness of a newly resurfaced road tho' - Round this part of the M25 they've almost completed the widening to 4 lanes (Well, I say widening, all they've actually done is turn the hard shoulder into a new lane which, given the large number of high-profile accidents we regularly get here, is just asking for trouble... :unsure:), and when you change from the old sand-coloured surface to the new slick black tarmac - Woo! The change in smoothness and the drop in noise level is incredible! :D

From Dunfermline you could consider going through Stirling and using the A84 and A85 to Crianlarich (where you join the A82). Tends to be a bit quieter than taking the A82.

I think I'll go back over the Kincardine bridge to the M9 past stirling and turn off the exit onto the A85, seems to be the best route to go on.

"The difference is we can do the journey without having to stop to refuel every 3 miles :lol: "

My car can do 600 miles between fill ups ... :p

How would I do that then?

There are lots of threads on this forum and others covering C1 and peugeot 107, telling you how to sound proof your car. I have done it quite extensively and now the longer trips are really more pleasant and quieter.

Um, it doesn't bother me too much personally, I drive it on a motorway to work every day and only turn up the volume slightly same as the Yaris. I've spotted a thread which had a guy in Oldham that does sound proofing but for £195 I'm not that bothered about the noise.