Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid In Cornwall

2StrokeSteve

Indeed I would rather buy local for the WK reg, been a while since I’ve had a car registered in Cornwall, especially now we are a minority :laughing:

I like the Aqua, but my fav car I owned has been my 205 XS in Graphite Grey so the Decuma Grey is tempting, just thinking about dirt and scratches, our Civic is in black and it is awful to keep clean, washed it 2 days ago and it looks dirty again.

Then there is resales, there seems to be more 2nd hand Decuma Grey then Deep Aqua.

Also the Deep Aqua would be easier to pick out in a busy car park...

Cheers, Steve

Well they had a grey in stock so went for grey! should have it by the weekend.

Didn’t get as much discount as Drivethedeal offered but am happy with what I got, monthly payments came out less then what I was expecting to pay and a nice friendly service for Parklands Toyota, also a better PX on my Honda then I expected, which was nice.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 2

Excellent news. Bet you can't wait to get it.

Hope to see some pics and your initial experiences of ownership.

ps the kids 'll love it.

Hi. I got my new 14 plate hybrid a month ago. I got it basically because I do town driving for work 5days a week. I drove my car to Ireland over Easter from Hertfordshire-M4-Wales-Pembroke and ferry across to Rosslare Ireland then to Tipperary. I did not find any hills to be a big struggle and it cost me £25 in fuel each way and I fill up on the BP ultimate stuff too. For me I'm very happy with my purchase. I gone from a peugeot 207 1.6 sport to the yaris icon+ hybrid 1.5.

"... and I fill up on the BP ultimate stuff too. ..."

You can just use regular BP 95 and save a few pence per fill.

It is personal choice on which grade of fuel is used

BP Ultimate may be a good choice of fuel for a new vehicle .......Good to see that you fill up on BP Ultimate Joseph!......It is worth the few extra pence per fill ;) :)

Personally my cars have always run smoother and further when using the higher octane fuel.......That is my personal choice :)

Congratulations - you got a car that you wanted for a price that both of you thought fair - the system wins!

After years of gently mocking my mum for having a silver Merc, I have to admit that the silver/grey colour looks great when you don't opt for the Trend trim. I only bought the Trend for the keyless go, which is fantastic for someone on their own - for a family I can imagine that it can cause more trouble than it's worth. You also get better milage and a lower cost. Please be gentle when you destroy my mpg figures!

David

What's the import duty for cornwall these days :)

What's the import duty for cornwall these days :)

Don’t know I was a bit miffed with the delivery charge :lol:

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

I am now on Hybrid number 4, Gen 2 Prius, Gen 3 Prius, Lexus CT200h and now the Yaris.

I have tried BP Ultimate and Tesco 99 in the first 3 and came to the following conclusion.......higher octane fuels cost more but make absolutely no difference to performance or mpg in Toyota Hybrid vehicles.

Hope you enjoy your new car Steve, just do not get too fixated on the mpg readouts !

• Like 1

It is personal choice on which grade of fuel is used

BP Ultimate may be a good choice of fuel for a new vehicle .......Good to see that you fill up on BP Ultimate Joseph!......It is worth the few extra pence per fill ;) :)

Personally my cars have always run smoother and further when using the higher octane fuel.......That is my personal choice :)

It is a personal choice, and far be it for me to tell you what to use. I was merely pointing out that the recommended fuel for the Prius is RON 95, and there is no advantage to use a higher RON petrol.

I, myself, exclusively use 95 and get stellar performance and ever improving fuel efficiency.

I know you're convinced BP Ultimate gives you better economy and performance, and maybe your Yaris does, but the Prius performs just fine using the recommended RON 95.

But if the Yaris is also recommended to use RON 95, I challenge you to run your next 3 tanks on Ultimate and then 3 tanks on regular and record all 6 tanks in a fashion similar to Fuelly, and I guarantee you will not see better economy or performance on Ultimate.

I freely admit I may not know everything there is to know about modern engines. However isn't it the ECU's job to deliver a set fuel air ratio to the engine? To make allowances for the quality of the fuel, the air pressure (altitude) the oxygen content (using the lambda probe) etc? So in short within limits, whatever fuel you use your actually delivering to the engine exacly the same fuel /air mixture.

If so wouldn't using new 'Super Extra Fueltron' be exactly the same as using 'El Boggo Supermarket Value Basic' petrol?

So any perceived advantage would be entirely due to variations in driver input, accellerating less harshly etc maybe well probably even sub conciously?. As a former scientific type (well I have A levels in Physics/ Maths / Chemistry etc) but last used them 35+ years ago.

I suggest only a blind study where the user doesn't know what fuel is in his Hybrid can settle this definitively.

Now purely in the interests of Science if someone wants to refuel my car every time it needs it for six months and not tell me whats in it whilst I go about my daily business. Then I'm public spirited enough to let them pay for it as well.

Any offers?

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

• Like 1

Well to add a bit of fact and fun into the 'which fuel' issue. The US Prius forum is awash with members discussing the benefits of using Premium 95 octane unleaded (their 85 aki) compared to their normal 92 octane (83 aki) unleaded. The discussions are that it is a waste of money to use 95 octane and that it can even damage the engine lol.

News to me considering that 95 is our lowest rated fuel in most of western europe :)

... The discussions are that it is a waste of money to use 95 octane and that it can even damage the engine lol.

I don't know how the US PON (or AKI) numbers relate to the UK RON exactly, but I agree that using premium fuel is a waste of money. However, I doubt very much that using it will do damage to your car.

News to me considering that 95 is our lowest rated fuel in most of western europe :)

As much as the fuel companies' marketing depts would like to confuse the buying public, 95 RON is not inferior to 98/99 RON. Simply put, 95 RON is required for low compression engines and 98 RON is required for high compression engines.

Well I’m picking mine up today! :driving: I will be using 95 RON...

Cheers, Steve

Well so far I am over the moon, only drove it between the dealership and the grandmothers but am quite please, my father (RAC Patrol) and I have been for a bit of a run around the area and it preformed well. One question we had is the Battery never reached 100% it was alway down at least 2 bars.

Here are a couple of photos:

14080211301_75d09fcb69_c.jpgUntitled by skankin_giant, on Flickr

14103471583_9b9d418879_c.jpgUntitled by skankin_giant, on Flickr

13896816568_bf5e529b30_c.jpgUntitled by skankin_giant, on Flickr

13896791539_08bc3963ac_c.jpgUntitled by skankin_giant, on Flickr

Very pleased with the colour choice, the grey looks really smart.

Thank you all for the input it has been a great help.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 2

Woo! Looking smart! :thumbsup:

Love the colour; I do wish I could have found a Yaris in that a sort of colour! :D

As for the charge, IIRC the ECU tries to limits the charge to around 80% - The reason is the regenerative braking; If you fully charge the Battery, the regenerative brakes stop working because there's no where for the regen'd energy to go. You can get it to 100% by regen-braking loads (e.g. down a hill), but I wouldn't recommend forcing it.

The ECU is pretty smart tho' - Keeping the Battery between 80% and 20% is why the HSD batteries have lasted so long - If it was using the full 100%-0%, that Battery would be dead in 2 years! (I have been doing this with my laptop and found it works there too! :yahoo:)

• Like 1

Very nice looking car :thumbsup: Enjoy

Excellent colour......Enjoy your new car! :)

One question we had is the battery never reached 100% it was alway down at least 2 bars.

The HV Battery is charged up by regenerative braking and surplus electricty from the Hybrid Synergy Drive. It is unusual to see it full.

The only time the ICE (petrol engine) is deliberately run to charge the HV Battery is when the HV Battery level gets too low. The battery management system will not let the HV battery charge drop below a certain level (to protect the battery) and will run the ICE to keep the HV battery charge above this minimum level.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the info.

Cheers, Steve

… One question we had is the battery never reached 100% it was alway down at least 2 bars. ….

Wow, as others have said, that is a very sharp looking car. The colour is stunning.

In regards to the Battery, the Battery charge display shows charge in the range of 80% (full) to 40% (empty). It does this because the research showed that charging/discharging in this range increased the number of charge/discharge cycles exponentially.

Under normal circumstances the display hovers at around the 5-6 bar mark. This is to allow head room to store energy in the case of long braking runs on the motorway or a long downhill run, as the car does not know what is coming up, terrain-wise. If it didn't do this, and the Battery was full (80%), then the control system would have to start wasting the energy by way of using the ICE in a modified configuration (not using any fuel though) and acting like and air compressor.

I don't know if you were trying to "help" the system to stay in EV mode, which in natural inclination for the new HSD driver, but it is not really necessary to try to second guess the system. Just drive normally and the system will keep things in a good state of balance and hopefully you should see really good economy.

Hope you keep enjoying the new car.

… As for the charge, IIRC the ECU tries to limits the charge to around 80% - The reason is the regenerative braking; If you fully charge the battery, the regenerative brakes stop working because there's no where for the regen'd energy to go. You can get it to 100% by regen-braking loads (e.g. down a hill), but I wouldn't recommend forcing it.

The ECU is pretty smart tho' ...

Not quite, but you are correct the control system is pretty smart.

Ok, the system tries to keep Battery charge at between 80% and 40%. This correlates to what you see on the Battery charge display as full - 8 bars and empty - 1 bar.

You don't need to worry about trying to keep the Battery in any particular state as the control system will take care of that for you. If it finds the battery is at its top limit (8 bars or 80%), then it will revert to "plan b" and use the ICE (internal combustion engine) to waste energy and provide engine braking much like a standard car, except it uses no fuel while doing this. If it finds itself in the opposite situation, usually at 2 bars, it will run the ICE to generate some energy to charge it to at least 3 bars.

At this stage, just drive the car like normal (as in, don't drive too timidly) and enjoy the HSD experience. Later on, once you are comfortable with it you can branch out to try some advanced HSD techniques such as gliding and pulse & glide.

Once again, congratulations on joining the HSD family. Enjoy the car, I know you will.

Cheers.

I boght in april this car (Yaris Hybrid).i live also in a town with a lt of hills but I do not know how to use the B mode.

I use it only when I need more power ( on lights, up to hills, when is a lot of other cars behind, etc.)

I like my car (it is a SOL version) inside and otside.

I have 2 kids and nobody complaints about the space.

The consomtion is very good but I hope I will improve it (I have only 1400 km. with it)

In town (with a lot of traffic) - 4,7 L / 100 Km.(62 Miles)

outside the town - 4,1 L / 100 Km. (62 Miles)

Can anyone tell me how to use the most economical mode B of gearbox.

Or when shoud I use it. (I realy don't understand how it works).

Thank you

B mode = Braking

Should only be used going down LONG hills to generate extra "system" braking.

You should never use it in normal day-to-day driving and it will make fuel consumption worse if you do.

Mr Toyota spent billions of Yen developing a relatively "idiot-proof" hybrid system and having owned 4 now, I find the best thing to do is leave it in D and let it sort itself out.

• Like 2