Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dpf, Engine Model And Oil Grade

ShamblesX

2011 RAV4 XT-R D-4D 4X2, 2231cc diesel.

Took a call a short while ago from the wife; the RAV had cut out while going around a roundabout but restarted without a problem. However, she said the display had shown "low oil pressure".

So I figured I'd get some oil and started reading the doco I have, then here on your forum, to see which grade I should buy.

With a model code (as stated in the log book) of ALA35(WT) do we have the "2AD-FTV" engine with DPF or the "2AD-FHV" with DPNR?

Cheers

Does it make a difference?

I would have expected both to use semi or full synthetic 5W30 C2.

I asked the question, as there are numerous threads with conflicting advice as to whether 0w30 or 5w30 should be used, dependent on the type of filter fitted.

I've checked the oil level several times today and it's waaaay over the max marker. Now wondering if that could have contributed to the sudden engine stall and low oil pressure warning.

Might give the dealership a call today if they're open, as there are no fault codes (current, pending or historic) logged in the ECU.

I appreciate your response, thanks.

Can't see why it should make a difference - they are both after/outside the mechanical parts of the engine. :unsure:

You should be able to run 0W30 C2 if you want but in the UK I don't think that there is a need.

You should be aware that a low oil pressure warning coupled with an overfull oil reading on the dipstick may (indeed is likely) to suggest diesel in the oil due to a fault with the DPF regeneration system

I suggest you take it to a dealer ASAP - the risk is if it continues you either destroy the engine bearings or the engine runs on using the engine oil as fuel (which you cannot stop =big bang) or the turbo fails.. £1000ss if any happen

I don't like the sound of that. Think I'll take it for a blast up the M61.

If theres no obvious explanation for the high oil level then dilution with fuel is a real possibility. If you take the car for a blast theres a real chance of wrecking the engine - either due to lack of lubrication or the crankshaft webs hitting the oil surface leading to imbalance.

Decided against the "blast". I'll take the above advice and assume it could be fuel contamination, and call the dealership tomorrow.

2011 RAV4 XT-R D-4D 4X2, 2231cc diesel.

Took a call a short while ago from the wife; the RAV had cut out while going around a roundabout but restarted without a problem. However, she said the display had shown "low oil pressure".

So I figured I'd get some oil and started reading the doco I have, then here on your forum, to see which grade I should buy.

With a model code (as stated in the log book) of ALA35(WT) do we have the "2AD-FTV" engine with DPF or the "2AD-FHV" with DPNR?

Cheers

Preferred grade is 0w30 C2 however 5w30 C2 is acceptable

In advance of being able to check the oil myself I did buy a litre of 5w30, but it wasn't required.

We have equally serious other issues now which require urgent attention, like random warning lights appearing, passenger airbag light (and chime) coming on, radio turning itself on, heater controls changing to random settings, aircon activating itself, ABS kicking in (or so it seems like) when turning (happened once) coupled with an engine stall.

All in the past 4 days (we've owned it 6 weeks).

It's a devil car, that's for sure, and I'll be calling Aftersales in a few minutes.

In advance of being able to check the oil myself I did buy a litre of 5w30, but it wasn't required.

We have equally serious other issues now which require urgent attention, like random warning lights appearing, passenger airbag light (and chime) coming on, radio turning itself on, heater controls changing to random settings, aircon activating itself, ABS kicking in (or so it seems like) when turning (happened once) coupled with an engine stall.

All in the past 4 days (we've owned it 6 weeks).

It's a devil car, that's for sure, and I'll be calling Aftersales in a few minutes.

Sounds like it needs a new Battery.

Sounds like it needs a new battery.

Interesting...

The engine turns over quickly. Am expecting a callback from the dealership who asked to get the RAV back in ASAP, which isn't possible today.

Battery, eh?...

random electrical faults can be caused by voltages below the norm.. of course a bad earth , could do the same - or corrosion in a connector.. etc. etc.

I would carefully note everything in writing with dates , times whom you spoke to etc.

It may be you were sold a car with built in faults which the prior owner wanted rid of, rather than spend money..

You need a record if you want to reject the car if the vendor is unable to fix the problems...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links