Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looks Like Egr Valve Faulty

bol60

From doing a bit of research the loss of power and black smoke coming out of exhaust looks like egr valve needs cleaning. Unfortunately my mechanic can't sort it for me for three or four days. In the meantime is the car ok to drive? Any advice?

Should be fine; I've yet to see EGR blockage be a safety issue, just a major annoyance.

If you're feeling DIY'y it's usually not too hard to DIY - All you really need is a ratchet spanner with the right sized heads, some time and a big can of carb cleaner :D

I guess one of the guides posted on this forum somewhere would be useful too :lol:

I just cleaned one yesterday 1cd-ftv engine 2006 d4d 5 speed, wouldn't say it was hard to do. definitely will be quicker next time

remove engine cover for ease and access. 5 10mm nuts.

loosen the clip on airbox hose either with socket or screwdriver then disconnect hose from airbox.

remove the electrical connector for maf sensor on top of the airbox lid then remove lid (4 clips) then remove airfilter, you will see 3 12mm bolts holding the bottom tray down remove these and bottom tray should come out,push the pipe out on the bottom out coming in from the nearside wing.

you will see egr valve.

remove electrical connector on the top.

remove 2 12mm nuts just below each of the coolant pipes either side and one bolt (12mm) on the bottom on the egr valve and remove the two coolant pipes (remember which one goes where)

split the egr valve in into two by removing 3 10 mm bolts, mark it before splitting so you know where it sits when putting it back together.

clean the bit with the solenoid/plunger with carb cleaner and a toothbrush/rag, I soaked mine in diesel for a little while, ideally I would like of liked to soak it overnight but I needed the car back on the road.

I re-used the old gasket too.

I hope I have not missed anything.

more info and pictures

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/114711-2003-d4d-egr-clean/

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links