Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Light Throttle Splutter/judder?

jonesy1001

Hi all new to the forum glad to be a part of the Toyota forum. Just purchased my first avensis. Shes a 1.8 W reg 90k 7AFE engine which looks like its just rolled out of a toyota showroom genuinly. I love the car to bits (I'm only 26 but love it lol alot of people say its an oldies car) timing belt and pulleys etc done at 83k and shes just hit 90k today. Everything seems ok but i got this annoying, what can only be described as a splutter/judder when trying to keep a steady speed and feathering the throttle if you know what I mean. It happens in every gear and at any speed but if I take my foot off the throttle its fine or if I give it plenty of gas its fine. Like I say just seems to be light throttle its slightly hesitant then comes back to life. Also theres a green ECONO light on when foots off the gas but goes out when i put my foot down again any speed any gear etc. Its anooying as when I'm trying to keep at 30mph its juddering lol. Any help will be appreciated?

The throttle body probably needs cleaning - pay particular attention to the void before the butterfly which is the access for the idle control valve. Spray carb cleaner from the likes of Halfords will do. Remove the rubber boot between the air cleaner and throttle body and spray away.

ill give that a bash thank you. are they known for anyhing ie common faults etc?

I had the same problems on my last avensis it turned out the throttle body was filthy I cleaned it up and it ran smooth after that took 15mins to do

Hope this helps

I used to have the same model for 5 years. It didn't have any faults other than burning oil as the mileage grew. Great car. A dirty throttle body is a sign that the air filter may have been neglected in the past.

Ahh fantastic appreciate all the feedback thank you will give it a full service and clean the throttle body asap.

Can't beat a genuine air filter for keeping that throttle body clean. Some aftermarket filters have an oil sprayed on them.

Hi all new to the forum glad to be a part of the Toyota forum. Just purchased my first avensis. Shes a 1.8 W reg 90k 7AFE engine which looks like its just rolled out of a toyota showroom genuinly. I love the car to bits (I'm only 26 but love it lol alot of people say its an oldies car) timing belt and pulleys etc done at 83k and shes just hit 90k today. Everything seems ok but i got this annoying, what can only be described as a splutter/judder when trying to keep a steady speed and feathering the throttle if you know what I mean. It happens in every gear and at any speed but if I take my foot off the throttle its fine or if I give it plenty of gas its fine. Like I say just seems to be light throttle its slightly hesitant then comes back to life. Also theres a green ECONO light on when foots off the gas but goes out when i put my foot down again any speed any gear etc. Its anooying as when I'm trying to keep at 30mph its juddering lol. Any help will be appreciated?

Make sure there are no vacuum leaks. When you check and clean the throttle body, make sure all associated pipes are in good condition.

Another thing to check is the vacuum switch and linkage to the inlet valves. This is known to detach so the car is not running properly. This may not be the fault, check my posts on this car.

The ECONO light should stay be on when using moderate throttle. The above checks and clean may help to make it work as it should.

Check my posts on the car which just about covers any likely issues, and my overall experience with the car.

Another point since you have the reliable 7A-FE engine, cambelts are only an issue on engines which stress the belt and have a lot of pulleys. This engine is easy on the belt and is not too difficult or expensive to change. Plus when it breaks, just fit another without a wrecked engine. Better than a possible oil burning vvti!

I have re-read your post for the third time and remember when my exhaust damper fell off when the mounting point corroded. It is mounted close to the cat converter under the car. When it fell off, the vibration was bad at 1600 rpm which is around 30 mph. I have since refitted the damper which has reduced the vibration.

Enjoy the car and let us know how you get on.

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links