Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Mk2 Stiff Suspension?

libit

Hello.

i recently purchased a 1.33 auris mk2, start edition.

I think the suspension is stiff, I can feel every bump on the road. My previous car was a 2009 Ford Fiesta (mk7) but it was much smoother to drive. I know Ford is well known for making fun-to-drive cars but I wanted to know if other Auris mk2 owners also ascertain this.

Do you feel the same?

Is the suspension going to soften after some miles?

The tyres are Michelin Energy Saver 195/65/15.

Thank you in advance.

This maybe due to the torsion beam rear suspension fitted to the 1.33.

My 1.6 Icon has double wishbone rear and it rides really well,not stiff at all.

i would double check your tyre pressures a standard car should be pretty soft

i would double check your tyre pressures a standard car should be pretty soft

The car was purchased a month ago, haven't checked the tyre pressure since it's so new with such a few miles. Maybe it's just my impression comparing it to a ford or a vw golf i recently had a ride with. Is it going to get softer after some miles?

might be worth checking the springs as i know on vw's they fit rubber chocks to stop the suspension moving about during transport, on new cars maybe they were missed during pdi easily done

Check and correct (if necessary) your tyre pressures and if you discern no improvement, go back to your local Toyota dealer and ask them to check the car.

I've had two first generation Auris 1.33's (pre-facelift and post-facelift) and second generation's suspension is a development of the first's. The cars give a good ride quality, if a bit too much roll.

I note that your profile states that you are not in the UK, so it could be possible the suspension settings differ - don't know.

At one time some manufacturers used chocks fitted to the suspension to limit suspension travel during transportation - these were removed at the dealerships after the cars were delivered as part of the PDI. Occasionally these chocks weren't removed by the dealer - giving a very hard ride. Don't know whether Toyota use such a system.

Thanks for your replies. I will check the tyre pressure and post some feedback. Also, I will take a ride with a couple of friends and ask them if they see the same, maybe it's just my idea.

It could be tyre pressure, check them yourself, when I got my car I found them all set to 40 psi, should have been 33 psi.

I think the rear suspension on your car is a torsion beam set-up, this type of suspension sometimes feels like the back of the car is bouncing about too much, that's what I thought with my last Auris 1.4D4D that had the same suspension.

Ask the dealer for a test drive in another car so you can compare?

Yes, it has torsion-beam rear suspension but my previous Ford Fiesta had the same suspension as well, it didn't feel the same though, it absorbed bumps effectively.

The test drive car i drove a couple weeks before the purchase felt the same so I don't think it has anything to do with chocks or suspension settings.

I live in Greece but i don't think the car's suspension is modified for greek roads when it's out from the production line in Burnaston nor here in Greece by the local dealer.

Yes, it has torsion-beam rear suspension but my previous Ford Fiesta had the same suspension as well, it didn't feel the same though, it absorbed bumps effectively.

The test drive car i drove a couple weeks before the purchase felt the same so I don't think it has anything to do with chocks or suspension settings.

I live in Greece but i don't think the car's suspension is modified for greek roads when it's out from the production line in Burnaston nor here in Greece by the local dealer.

PM your chassis number and I will double check your car as there is a "rough road package" suspension set up and Greece is one of the markets allowed to specify this option.

I've got the 1.6 VVTi Sport MK 2, i don't find it stiff at all- a few niggly bumps make their way into the cabin on a normal tarmac UK road, but that's about it.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Yes, I think it's the same more or less... After driving the car the whole weekend I wasn't very annoyed, I asked some friends and they didn't find it stiff or hard whatsoever. So that would be it, thanks.

See post number 10 of this topic - why not send Devon Aygo a personal message to determine whether your car does have the rough road package. Lee works for a Toyota dealer and would have access to this sort of information.

If it does, that would probably explain why your car's suspension seems stiff.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links