Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Picked Up These Wheels Help?!

garry auris d4d

hi guys just picked up these 17" sr style wheels 2 are ok 2 have small kerb marks along edge I was thinking about refurbing the wheels but the cost local is quite a lot so was wondering if anyone had used alloy gator edging stripes as think they might cover /hide marks on wheels heres pic of damage. any ideas

post-139120-0-56448600-1398285039_thumb.

post-139120-0-77335600-1398285060_thumb.

• Like 1

How about Plasti dipping them?

Never used them unfortunately Garry. I only had one rough looking rim, so had it refurbed locally for £40.

a local mechanic will plasti dip them in black cheap but if need other colour would need buy paint and as he uses a spray system its not cheap.as for refurb got told 60 per wheel but told would need to do all four to match that's a send away job as don't know a local place would have liked powder coated as I belive that's the strongest system but think its expensive it costs about 55 pounds for alloy gators stripes so its not cheap if it doesn't work

I have got alloy gators as I have to park on the road outside my house easy to fit look good and do the job they are meant to aswell you get enough for 5 rims and they take literally 5 mins a wheel to fit .... Don't get them in silver tho as it doesn't match up right I went for red ones for my car as th car is decuma grey and either chrome parts ie lights or red to match the tail lights and the heated screen wire in the the boot window

Also them alloy gators have a few videos of testing and how to fit etc

Sent from my HTC One SV using Toyota OC mobile app

smudge-1991 how far over the lip of the wheel do they go because as you can see in pic above the marks are just over little bit do you think they would cover those marks as there bit expensive if they aint going to cover the marks

Yh they cover a lot further in than you think they are very wide on the front of the rim but you cannot fit them on stretched tyres only proper fit ones

They should reach the spokes on them fairly easy I had to trim mine back slightly .... When I am back with my car I shall put up some pics

Corrosion will be your biggest enemy,the damage will spread under the lacquer.

A refurb is your best bet.

Yes it is a worry for corrosion u could take a fine wire brush to the lip then brush clear coat on the lip before

Then fit the gators but the gators do fit flush so water ingress shouldn't be too much of a problem

thanks guys well been looking and theres couple different ones out there rim bands/rim blades and alloy gators are the main ones I think I like the look of the alloy gators they seem better put together £60 so there not cheap but should protect lip from further damage as well so might give them a go it says that silver ones make wheels look bigger? so black would make look smaller? so silver would be better as colour of car is silver too how far off is the silver ones from Toyotas standard wheel colour don't fancy coloured ones

Rim blades are just like vinyls if you go on alloy gators website it will give you a good idea of what they are like before fitting and also the fitting video is on a 17 inch Audi rim so you can gather what sort of fit you can get also all the pics of them on there I had rim blades on my old fiesta xr2i and I grazed the Kiev in them and it went straight thru them but the gators are really tough I park right up to the kurb at my house ad it's a bit narrow so I do catch wheels on the kurbs and since I bought them my wife has my dad and my mum and father in law have bought them and say they are well worth it plus it saves the rims which keeps them looking nice should you ever want to sell them or the car ... The silver is so far off it's untrue I did have a keyring from them with samples and when I placed the silver ones up they don't match and the black ones are very black so stand out from tyres if they are dirty so then looks odd the colours they have though are not too brash like I said I have gone for red and they set the car off nicely the orange also look quite good as well as the light blue

well rim ringzs/alloy gators/rim blades/bands all three have good and bad points so need have think about it alloy gators are the most popular choice but my local mech says they can cause tyres to leak on some setups as can rim ringz also and rim blades wont stick to a damaged surface don't know how much truth in this but will look into refurb more to see if worth doing the other option is keep eye open for second hand wheels to replace damaged ones eBay have odd one about 40 pounds and Halfords will refurb for 65 per wheel so might be cheaper to replace rather than repair

My tyres don't lose pressure at all and I fitted them myself I just made sure that the gap was clean before fitting and also the join is supposed to go where the valve is and they all seem to be fine

I'm in Nottingham if it's any help and can plastidip them for you for £150 and you can see some of my examples before hand!

Is it 150 for any design

I have just Arranged to have my wheels completely stripped and redone in powder coat. This has cost me 240 for the 4 wheels. I have also gone for a colour change and gone for a gun metal grey colour. The company is called AWR and is based in Bury in Greater Manchester. They have also lent me a set of rims and tyres whilst they have mine. I am due to get them back on Monday and I will pot some pictures as soon as i get them back on my car.

Simon

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

• Like 1

Not exactly cheap, but I'm sure they'll look great & last ages. The standard finish on the Toyota SR alloys is very poor. I've already had one rim refurbed but it looks like another is bubbling & peeling now .....

I'm starting to get a bubbling aroung the Toyota motorsport Badge in the centre of the wheel bit miffed as the car is only 5 yrs old and I look after as much as I can

thanks aggo but a friend of mine has plasti dipping gear was going to do them in pearl grey dip but been told think about it as its not the easiest to clean he says he could do them for 60 pounds for the four as he owes me a favour (I plastered his bathroom) I like the idea of grey pearl finnish but keeping them clean would be a nightmare if what he says is true guys to put it into some kinda order I payed £200 for the four wheels I don't want to pay half that just to repair them I was hoping to pay around £50/£60 pounds to repair damage on 2 wheels it is only minor damage and if I find out the paint code/shade I will repair myself just don't know where to get paint code from for perfect match so match paint on other wheels don't want paint all

For a paint code try Toyota themselves or find someone who has a chart of the colour codes

Here is one of my newly powder coated wheels

post-135587-139869880099_thumb.jpg

I will do a side picture of the car when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

No probs just thought if through it out there

• 3 weeks later...

Alloy gators fitted

post-130759-140026209174_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links