Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Previa Have I Gone Totally Mad ? Anyone Got A Clue ?

luludog

Hi all I am sure i am going crazy, previa 2001 d4d. last year the car suffered loss of power and would not rev past 2k but no engine light on. went to local toyota who diagnosed air flow sensor and disconnected it at filter box as they did not have the new part in stock and by doing this engine light came on, I had to go away as i am in the t.a and when i got back 4mth later the wife presented me with a new sensor, I put the sensor in last week engine light off but will just about rev to 3.5k put it on diagnostics and mass fault came up, cleared it still would not rev take connector off sensor and it will rev ok but smoke like a chimney (black) dealer said could be a loose wire i said but any voltage irregularatys would change the systems value and the light would come on when the sensor was connected well in the end I went away even more confused as what the chap said made no sense, I know I am only a tank mechanic but either I have lost the plot or i am suffering dementia, I suggested the e.g.r may need a clean as its been running without sensor for some time but I am told not so. sorry for the long post but can anyone help us please.

Hi again T.O.C well stripped the d4d down yesterday and I found turbo in tip top condition (no end float movement) however, the pipe that connects to the turbo inlet had collapsed in on itself bloking the intake 70%, thus the turbine blades had chewed half of it up and spat it out (I hope) also found a few other strange things Ie emission pipes connected wrong, I forgot to add in my previous post if anyone has any interest that it had a new (NOT REMAN) engine from main dealer and turbo 2 years ago which has covered approx 20k the car perhaps does 30 mile a week now if its lucky which may or may not have compounded the issue, you Toyota fans will best know if this has any influance on the vehicles ability to blow all and sundry through the system should it gets choked up. well back to the old d4d today new parts await at Toyota and its raining cats and previas so I am going to get drowned making further investigations and putting all back together, will keep anyone interested in the progress but if its still the same be prepared to accept my torrent directed at in the main myself for not having the ability to sort this niggle, worst ways wife is going to have to sell or put up with no mass sensor. intrestingly it passed its m.o.t on emissions last year urrrgh!!!

MMM very interesting, the rubber pipe connected to the turbo intake has a rubber insert that sits in the pipe propper seems to have become brittle and collapsed and was restricting the air intake by %45 or so, its quite common i have been informed, I wonder if this is why so many turbos are said to be duff only to be blockd by a perished pipe and its a tidy route for a quick buck by dodgy garages to us simple gents or am I cynical? mass still will not allow it to rev so i guess its back to that old drawing board. I wonder if the mass is shot and even though the engine light goes out when connected it still is duff? anyone know, I ask, as the dealers is quite some miles from us?

running fine, boosting great, pulling like a train, no smoke, funny little light on the dash the shape of an engine god knows what that is and I dont blinkin well care at this mowment in time.

Isn't that the malfunction indicator light - possible malfunction in electronic engine control system, electronic throttle control system or emissions control system.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links