Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Shape Avensis 2.0D4D

Deakin

Hi guys Deakin here its getting time to change the car again and i want to know if anyone has had the head gasket problem on the new shape avensus 2.0d4d or has the problem been rectified ?,i am nearly scared to buy another one as i have had the head gasket problem on a 2007 avensis 2.0 d4d,i got shot of that one before it went and went back into a 2004 d4d and have been working it as a taxi the last year and 6 months some of the guys i work with have changed cars completly and wont touch another avensis but i have had about 6 now and they are hard to get away from,but i dont want to take a chance if i it is going to let me down again and cost me thousands to fix.Thanks for any help on this matter.Deakin.

I think you will be 100% safe buying a 2011T27 d4d model and the only down side i've heard about the T27 is the electronic handbrake but as these models have 5 yrs warranty you should be ok.

Although the head gasket has been a worry the rest of an Avensis is very reliable as you well know and is a perfect taxi.

Pete.

Iirc the TSB that we have a copy of (but that we know is out of date) covered Avensis D4D production up until the end of February 2009 which includes the first few months of T27 production.

I bought another 2.2 so I hope/think that it's sorted & if not Toyota will look after it anyway - plus it has a 5 year warranty (that is further extendable for several years).

Is it an unlimited mileage 5 yr warranty? Maybe a taxi would clock up 50k in a year or two.

Many thanks for your replys but i am still not sure about this head gasket problem no one has been able to say for certain that toyoya have cured this fault,i cant believe that there ars no taxi men out there with the new model who can tell us more because we do rack up about 50,000 miles per year.

The Toyota new car warranty is for five years or 100,000 miles (with no mileage restriction in the first year).

The Toyota extended warranty has two options: 1) no mileage limit, and 2) a cheaper option which limits the mileage to 10,000 per annum. You can buy extended warranties for periods of one or two years. Extended warranties can be renewed until the vehicle is ten years old.

Toyota extended warranties require the car to be serviced at an Authorised Toyota Service Centre (Block Exemption, which allows a car to be serviced outside the manufacturers dealer network whilst maintaining the new car warranty, only applies to the new car warranty period).

Many thanks for your replys but i am still not sure about this head gasket problem no one has been able to say for certain that toyoya have cured this fault,i cant believe that there ars no taxi men out there with the new model who can tell us more because we do rack up about 50,000 miles per year.

There is definitely at least one taxi owner out there as I saw one in Torquay recently, of course it may have been a petrol model and not diesel. The problem is they may not know about this site or want to be a poster.

You could have a look for opinions on the various taxi/taxi driver/taxi owners forums that you can find through a web search.

My neighbour has a one year old avensis has had the head gasket issue already, two

Electric windows

Gone, dash faults up out of nowhere, I

Wouldn't touch them at all

There is always going to be one ...

The "new shape" Avensis has been out for over 5 years now & there certainly doesn't appear to be the same volume of complaints about head gasket issues (I know that there were some on early 2009 cars) on here as there was for the T25 at the same point (& I'm pretty sure that it's similar for the Auris & RAV4s of similar vintage)

I would take the silence as good news.

I have an 11 and its sound. I notice that alot (and i mean alot) of taxi drivers around here have the T27 2.0 diesel. Only one driver told me he had trouble and his was 09, and imported.

The only critiscism i have about mine is i thought the diesel consumption would be better. Otherwise i'm pretty happy

from honest john

What to watch out for

Six speed diesel automatic in the Tourer puts the emissions up to 174g/km.

Tourer's load cover and dog guard are heavy and clunky to remove.

Parking brake switch not liked on 2009-2011 cars. In the wrong place (in front of left knee) and is counter-intuitive to operate. Red alert light on the dash only stays on for a few seconds so it's impossible to check if the brake has been applied properly once you have left the car. As one of the modifications for the 2012MY Avensis the parking brake now comes on automatically when the ignition is shut off. But if the engine is still running then you have to find it and press it counter-intuitively.

Front brake calliper guide pins seem to develop extensive play in the bushings in the calliper carriers and develop a rattle. The play is extensive, so you can toggle the calliper left-right so you hear this sound. Reader noticed after 12,000km.

26-1-2012: With 2.2 litre diesels, problems over regenerating of DPFs can lead to overfuelling that can damage the piston rings and bores. Apparently Toyota has extended the warranty to 5 years (even on 3 year warranted cars) to cover this.

28-11-2012: Curious intermittent power steering failure at parking speeds reported.

31-8-2013: Check strap cracks the frame of driver's and front passenger's doors.

Recalls

29-1-2010 Sticking Accelerator Pedal recall announced on Avensis (Nov 2008 – Dec 2009).

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/toyota/avensis-saloon/summary/25599-2

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/avensis

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/cartestreports/2011115.html

not bad reviews, cannot find any mention of headgasket on t27. where you not going to go for the superb?

I wish they did a hatchback, tourer seems to big around town.

Many thanks for all your replys the more i read the more its putting me of buying a new avensis i know all cars have their problems but toyota seems to be getting worse instead of better,its looks to me that toyota is not the car in front anymore.The way i have to look at it is its my lively hood you can afford to be off the road and if your head gasket goes thats it,its the problem of not being able to get the head skimmed that worries me the most,2 mechanics to me you can skim the head they can only polish it and put a new gasket on because the engine is aluminum and even then they told me it will only last another 6 months and do the same thing again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links