Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption

Not Happy

But we are talking about a car built in the 1980's v a car developed & built in 2000 onwards.

You seem to have been techno-hyped into believing that car technology is now totally different and improved from 1980.

It's not.

Excluding plug-in hybrids (and the odd rotary engine) every car on the road gets it's power by burning carbon fuel in a reciprocating engine. Over time there have been significant improvements in converting the energy from the fuel into useful power but these have been incremental ever since the first engines were made. There hasn't been a magic change since hybrids were created. Today there is still less energy available for moving the car than is lost in waste heat, even for a diesel.

As I said, I do understand that the mpg figutes are inaccurate after reading all the reviews & other info but my point is, it's all too late once you've bought the car no matter who's to blame. When I bought the car there was very little info to be found as it was an upgraded model for 2014. And regarding the SRI, it looks like Vauxhall new what they were doing if they could produce a lighter 2 litre car that doesn't roar it's head off going up a steep hill in the 1980's with nearly the same mpg return as a 1.5 hybrid does today???

According to your own figures, you are achieving an average of 53.8 mpg now - and that's as we are heading into winter - that's 10 mpg better than when you first started this thread six months ago, so it's clear things are improving. I don't think your 1980s Cavalier would have been able to achieve that and I think you will struggle to find any other petrol automatic car on sale today that can achieve real-world average fuel efficiency that's anywhere near as good as the Yaris Hybrid's figures - except of course for other hybrid cars. Of course, if you really don't like the car and the "poor" levels of fuel economy you are achieving, you can always sell it and replace it with a diesel car. But then you will have to deal with (a) more expensive fuel, (b) a noisier car and © a potentially less reliable car (particularly if it is fitted with a diesel particulate filter).

But we are talking about a car built in the 1980's v a car developed & built in 2000 onwards. No matter how you slice it & dice it, the actual concept of a hybrid car is that it's supposed to be more economical than a standard car of equivalent engine size etc which the yaris is most definitely not or at least mine isn't.

As I said previously you're comparing apples with pears - comparing a car made in the 80's, with a car made 20-30 years later. For example, comparing the different versions of the Yaris on Honest John Real mpg, owners who have contributed consumption figures are finding the hybrid is the second most economical Yaris (with the diesel coming out the most economical).

See http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011

Also consider the fact that your Trend has higher fuel consumption and CO2 emissions than the other two versions of the facelifted Yaris hybrid.

Compare the Honest John Real mpg info for the Yaris to the Polo and the Fiesta:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volkswagen/polo-v-2009

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/fiesta-2013

It is only the two Polo 1.2 TDi's (diesels) and two of the Fiesta diesels that beat the Yaris Hybrid.

But we are talking about a car built in the 1980's v a car developed & built in 2000 onwards. No matter how you slice it & dice it, the actual concept of a hybrid car is that it's supposed to be more economical than a standard car of equivalent engine size etc which the yaris is most definitely not or at least mine isn't.

As I said previously you're comparing apples with pears - comparing a car made in the 80's, with a car made 20-30 years later. For example, comparing the different versions of the Yaris on Honest John Real mpg, owners who have contributed consumption figures are finding the hybrid is the second most economical Yaris (with the diesel coming out the most economical).

See http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011

Also consider the fact that your Trend has higher fuel consumption and CO2 emissions than the other two versions of the facelifted Yaris hybrid.

Compare the Honest John Real mpg info for the Yaris to the Polo and the Fiesta:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volkswagen/polo-v-2009

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/fiesta-2013

It is only the two Polo 1.2 TDi's (diesels) and two of the Fiesta diesels that beat the Yaris Hybrid.

Yes I've seen the figures & if you go on other sites you get variations which will probably be due due to the driving styles & terrain where these people are submitting their mpg figures live. The other good point you brought up is the other cars which are more economical & what they cost to buy compared to the yaris hybrid & other hybrids. As one other reviwer said, that technology hasn't advanced very far in the sense of getting more fuel efficiency. I'm afraid I won't ever be convinced that hybrid cars are the way to go unless they get the Battery output sorted when you see the full electric cars only getting 80 to 100 miles per charge & need 8 hrs to recharge & I know these figures aren't accurate either. A hybrid is really a robbing peter to pay paul scenario & for the time being are nothing more than an expensive gimmick in my opinion. But I certainly hope that as one reviwer said, there may be changes to the way mpg figures are obtained. However, since this is now just going round & round in circles, I have nothing more to add to this topic.

• Like 1

Think the other consideration is whether one's expectations are realistic.

Topic locked

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links