Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Problem - Flashing Spanner

M-Noman

HI

I have a new 2012 yaris 1.4 diesal

I have done 30k

and for the last few weeks the spanner on the dashboard has been flashing

usually it flashes every other day.

Sometime it flashes at low speeds and other times at high speed

Has anyone had this problem is it a service light or is it a dpf problem or another problem

I am a driving instructor and i tend to do alot of local under 30mph driving

• Like 1

It is an 'engine oil change reminder' light. Correction procedure is to check the oil level, and change the oil if necessary.

Was the system reset when the oil was last changed?

There is a process to reset the system in the 'do it yourself maintenance' section of your owners manual.

Not too familiar with the diesel but this could be a service indicator

Yaris requires servicing every 10000 miles or 12 months whichever comes round first

Maybe time for a trip to the dealer :)

i have spoken to the benfield garage in leeds, they have had the car in 2 times for the whole day each time, and they have advised me that the light is on due to dpf

they have advised me to drive on the motorway at 40 mph for approx 30 minutes ie over 30 miles

i have driven the car for over 90 minutes for over 130 miles and the light is still on

I had my car services at 26k and the light came on at 30k

Because the light has come on so soon after the service they have said it cannot be anything to do with the service and has to be with the dpf

i have a service plan with toyota and they have said it was reset

I have not tried re-setting it myself

its been 5 trips to the dealer in 30 days :bored:

Try resetting the system yourself - doable from the driver's seat.

when i try my self

which

trip A

switch it off

hold down the button

the turn the ignition on

the spanner stops flashing for a few days and restarts again, very odd

i have a service plan with toyota and they have said it was reset

I have not tried re-setting it myself

when i try my self

which

trip A

switch it off

hold down the button

the turn the ignition on

the spanner stops flashing for a few days and restarts again, very odd

At first you said you hadn't tried resetting the system, and then you've said you have.

lol

i have tried re-setting it, but i have told toyota i have Not lol

Think that it is better that you tell Toyota exactly what you have done yourself as they will need to be aware of the true situation

You are doing nobody any favours by hiding the facts......least of all yourself :)

Think it is back to the dealer, say to them what steps you have taken, and that you need the issue sorted. Could be that your work as a driving instructor doesn't suit the dpf - short journeys, under 30mph, etc.

• Like 1

Think it is back to the dealer, say to them what steps you have taken, and that you need the issue sorted. Could be that your work as a driving instructor doesn't suit the dpf - short journeys, under 30mph, etc.

Agree with this, petrols are more forgiving than diesels on shorter journeys. Having said that my petrol yaris wasn't happy once when my mum asked me to move it when it was cold on a morning just to park it in a different place. It made some strange noises until I got it moving and warmed up to full temperature. I've said to mum I'm never doing that again.

i have spoken to the benfield garage in leeds, they have had the car in 2 times for the whole day each time, and they have advised me that the light is on due to dpf

they have advised me to drive on the motorway at 40 mph for approx 30 minutes ie over 30 miles

i have driven the car for over 90 minutes for over 130 miles and the light is still on

I had my car services at 26k and the light came on at 30k

Because the light has come on so soon after the service they have said it cannot be anything to do with the service and has to be with the dpf

If it is the DPF then you might need to drive at 40 mph whilst keeping the revs high for 15-20 miles. I believe the idea here is that it generates enough heat to burn the residue in the DPF (this is how it is supposed to work in Vauxhalls and Fords).

Previously, in my Zafira, when the spanner light came on I would also loose power, not completely, but enough to struggle on the QE2 bridge at 9am on a weekday!! I was popular! The Zafira was renown for DPF and EGR issues.

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses

i took the car back, and they now think it might be a problem with the engine oil, so they are going to a change oil and filter change on monday so lets hope that resolves it

Thanks for the respnses

When you take it in Monday for the oil and oil filter change, remind them to reset the warning system.

thanks alot

should i only request an oil change or maybe a full service???

I would be inclined to just get the oil and oil filter changed and the warning system reset - as you're less than halfway to the next 10,000 mile service (presumably due at 36,000).

Please see these two threads;

2010 Yaris D4D Problem
Yaris Diesel - How Many Mpg?
Had a similar problem, hope they have fixed it now, it only took 18 months! :jawdrop:

• 2 months later...

I'm now on my 5 th tank of fuel since the DPF & oil degradation sensor was chaged.

General MPG has improved by close to 10%, getting 560 ish per tank, computer average is around 70 mpg (this is I think pessimistic, calculation seem to show more like 72).

Most importantly the interval between DPF regens has changed dramatically. When I stated to complain, the frequency had increased to around 200 miles between events , from the original (I thought) 350.

Now, the first regen interval was about 400 miles, then 493; 498; 450. On the current tank, I have passed the 400 mile mark since the last on.

The whole problem, DPF and oil in the sump seems to have been cured - but it took some finding, initially having difficulty getting the dealership to believe I had a real problem!

Last week, I was told they had another car the same age with the same problem! At least the * may know where to look!

Hope this helps someone else!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links