Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Radio With A Mind Of Its Own!

dudgeon

My Aygo radio/CD (standard) has gone completely haywire. None of the buttons do what they are meant to, e.g. volume changes channel and to get the CD player to work is hit or miss with any button and when achieved, goes back to a random radio channel when trying to adjust the volume. Is there a reset button anywhere, or is it kaput. Ideas anyone???

Could try try disconnecting the Battery for 30 minutes in the hope it may reset

Lol, maybe try resetting it, there must be a way other than the disconnection of the Battery, physical way.

Disconnecting the Battery can reset various electrical components including the ECU. In the first instance it would be worth a try before having to remove the head unit from the dash.

Battery disconnect is the way forward, My radio died no lights or reaction.

Did a Battery pull for an hour and it rebooted with everything working :thumbsup:

I isolated radio via fuse No7 (Haynes wiring diagram) and left off for 2 hrs. No joy, just the same. Looks like it may be an electronic fault which is irrepairable easily unless there is an electronics wizard out there with a magical solution. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Kill the battery, it will also reset everything

What is the difference between fuse removal and Battery disconnect??? :ermm:

With the Battery disconnect, various electrical systems will reset including the ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

With the battery disconnect, various electrical systems will reset including the ECU.

After trying disconnect (and failing unfortunately), I tried pressing all the buttons and found that holding the 'clock' down seemed to get the volume control working and after deleting rpt/random and everything else that should not have been there from the display, everything returned to normal without any station resetting being required. Hope it is a permanent fix but why it went haywire in the first place is a mystery.

• 7 months later...

With the battery disconnect, various electrical systems will reset including the ECU.

After trying disconnect (and failing unfortunately), I tried pressing all the buttons and found that holding the 'clock' down seemed to get the volume control working and after deleting rpt/random and everything else that should not have been there from the display, everything returned to normal without any station resetting being required. Hope it is a permanent fix but why it went haywire in the first place is a mystery.

Many thanks for this - holding the 'clock' button for a few seconds does seem to fix the problems described. Not sure how it happens in the first place - think its something to do with accidentally pressing a certain combination of buttons (usually happens in winter when its dark much of the time) that causes the malfunction. Thanks again for confirming how to fix this!

Many thanks for this - holding the 'clock' button for a few seconds does seem to fix the problems described. Not sure how it happens in the first place - think its something to do with accidentally pressing a certain combination of buttons (usually happens in winter when its dark much of the time) that causes the malfunction. Thanks again for confirming how to fix this!

Glad to be of help. I suspect the problem is dampness in the unit due to condensation. Mine has gone haywire another couple of times, both times when the interior of the car feels dampish due to weather conditions. One morning a CD kept jumping and there were traces of the disc having been wet. Fortunately pressing the clock button has worked each time and it has now been OK for a few months. Don't ask me why though!!

• 3 years later...

My Aygo radio has been getting worse and worse. The buttons don't operate the right functions most of the time.

What I see in my car is that when I press a button, the displays dim a bit which suggests a problem with the power getting to the front panel of the radio.

I took the radio out and took the front panel off.  It came off easily and there are two multi pin connectors that join the front panel to the rest of the radio. I reckon that there was corrosion on the connector  pins and just removing the front panel and putting it back on again scrapes off the corrosion.  Now the radio is back in the car and its working fine.

• 1 year later...

Many thanks for all this information. I've managed to sort out the car stereo because of the helpful advice here. I disconnected and reconnected the Battery first and the radio fired up but died again when I turned off the ignition and on again. I then tried the cigarette lighter connection and it wasn't working indicating a possible fuse issue. I read up about the fuses being under the steering wheel housing and the blue 15 amp fuse right in the middle of the line of fuses. To get the housing off turn steering wheel one way and undo screw and then the other way to get at other screw. The cover just lifts off then. I changed the fuse and hey presto a working radio and cigarette lighter connection. I'm really not an expert but it's done now.

• 8 months later...

I have a very similar problem with the stereo and clock, No sound adjustment it stays at one level, also it’s not possible to change the clock time. Lastly I can’t get any radio channels just the usual white noise you get when there’s no signal. I’ve disconnected the Battery, and tried pressing the clock/audio button and it doesn’t beep no matter how long I press it...! Help me please somebody...!!!

• 2 years later...

Wow, I tried the suggestion on here and pressed the clock button yesterday before I was due to take my car in to get the radio replaced and it worked! 

Thanks for the tip :-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links