Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty Windscreen Wiper

Tendurp

I have recently changed my very faithful 2001 1.8 Avensis for a November 2009 1.8 T4 Avensis.

With the windscreen wiper stalk down one click into the Intermittent wipe position, the wipers give one wipe at Normal speed and then goes into High speed wipe operation. Because of this I have no Intermittent wiper speed.

With the Stalk in position for normal speed, I get normal speed and with the Stalk in position for High speed, I get high speed.

Is this a fault I can correct or is it likely to be a Main Agent job?

Just swap the wiper stalk mechanism. There's plenty on eBay sub £30.

Are they auto wipers? Could be the rain sensor.

Thank you Alan,

Everything 'looks OK' on the windscreen. I am competent with electrics, is there a way to disable the automatic sensor for testing?

is there a way to disable the automatic sensor for testing?

Sorry haven't had one in bits but I believe the sensor is at the top of the screen behind the interior mirror, therefore the wiring/sensor is probably accessed via removing the interior light. I don't suppose there's a seperate fuse for the auto wipers, you could maybe try removing it if it exists?

does the adjustment for the auto wiper speed have any effect?

if you have 'auto', then there is no intermittent ... really annoys me, as it only ever works properly with perfectly clean window and brand new wipers... most of tyhe time is just goes crazy just for a few spots of rain :-(

I'd love to know if there was anyway to reto-fit the intermittent controls...

To answer Alan: The fuse for the auto sensor is the same fuse that does for all the other wiper functions.

To answer Mintalkin: The adjustment for auto wipe speed makes no difference.

It looks like Jumbojake has the same problem as me because the Owners Manual clearly states:-

Position 1 = Intermittent wiper operation

Position 2 = Low speed wiper operation

Position 3 = High speed wiper operation

Position 4 (which is upwards) = Temporary operation.

Sorry Gents,

I have VERY CAREFULLY re-read the Owner' Manual and Jumbojake is right. Rain Sensing wipers do not have an Intermittent facility.

All I can say, is that the rain sensing facility is not worth having and in my opinion is a serious retrograde step.

My auto wipers work great, and the sensitivity can be adjusted by twisting the stalk.

I have also found that Toyota auto wipers are virtually useless. I have had two Avensis with them, the first a T25 used to go on high speed after a few drops of rain, whilst my latest 2013 T27 doesn't kick in unless we have a downpour! On both occasions the dealer stated nothing could be done as the sensor is a sealed unit. Bring back the manual intermittent option, with the ability to set the timing yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

My T180 is fitted with automatic windscreen wipers. I agree that this is an useless option, not worth getting...The wipers don't come on when you want them to, and when they finally do they are either too fast or too slow. Ideally I just want the normal wiper settings with the intermittent option. If you find a way to do this please let me know.

• 1 month later...

Continuing on with the problem of my Rain Sensing wipers only working at high speed even on a dry day with blazing sun and no sign of rain, I decided that I should get the Auto feature checked out by Mr 'T'. As my car is a November 2009 model it is now out of guarantee and Mr 'T' would make a charge for performing a Diagnostic check on my auto wipers. When I collected the car from Mr 'T' the worksheet stated 'Checked and reset system all ok'. to my horror the Auto Wipers were still displaying exactly the same fault as before.

In desperation I again searched through messages on our Owner's Club Site, this time I came across a similar thread to this one and a member mentioned that he had, had partial success by unplugging the windscreen sensor at a point behind the central rear view mirror. I unplugged my sensor thus disconnecting the auto feature, but to my amazement I now have genuine Intermittent Wipe facility. Not only this, but the ring on the stalk that should change the sensitivity of the Auto wipers, now gives me a choice of 4 intermittent wiper timings - Yippee, I am delighted..

• Like 3

this is probably the best tip I've seen on here..... superb discovery .... many thanks for sharing.... 4 years of wiper hell could be fixed!!

Oh God, please let this be true.

Continuing on with the problem of my Rain Sensing wipers only working at high speed even on a dry day with blazing sun and no sign of rain, I decided that I should get the Auto feature checked out by Mr 'T'. As my car is a November 2009 model it is now out of guarantee and Mr 'T' would make a charge for performing a Diagnostic check on my auto wipers. When I collected the car from Mr 'T' the worksheet stated 'Checked and reset system all ok'. to my horror the Auto Wipers were still displaying exactly the same fault as before.

In desperation I again searched through messages on our Owner's Club Site, this time I came across a similar thread to this one and a member mentioned that he had, had partial success by unplugging the windscreen sensor at a point behind the central rear view mirror. I unplugged my sensor thus disconnecting the auto feature, but to my amazement I now have genuine Intermittent Wipe facility. Not only this, but the ring on the stalk that should change the sensitivity of the Auto wipers, now gives me a choice of 4 intermittent wiper timings - Yippee, I am delighted..

I know this does not apply to me, having a first generation Avensis, but if Clives fix works on his version, will other models with this auto wiper function have a similar cure. Any owners with the fault should give it a try and report back. If everyone has the same result, then this could be considered a fix.

• Like 1

It works!!! It f***ing well works!!!

Remove the plug from the sensor and you get proper working intermittent wipers, that have different speeds from the ring on the stalk.

Get in touch, you can have a go on my wife for that.

• Like 3

skcollob_ho

Thanks, but we needn't go that far. I am pleased to help.

We are lucky that there is such a simple solution to what I think is a frustrating and major fault.

Topic pinned.

Tendurp's post has been incorporated into a Guide, so that members with other models with a similar fault on their auto wipers, can try the fix to see whether it works.

I take it all I need to do is take off the plastic casing behind the rear view mirror to access the plug connected to the rain sensor or is there more to it? Any special tools required?

Hi Steven,

In my car, all I did was to use my finger nails to get under the plastic cap. I used my finger nails so that I did not mark the plastic. I started at the end nearest the Head Lining and pulled. Then I just pulled the plug from its socket, left it hanging and replaced the plastic cap.

Hope this works on your T180.

Clive

Thanks Clive. Can't believe it how easy that was, took about 10 seconds. What a simple solution to a common problem. Love this forum.

• 3 months later...

Was driving my wife's 2008 1.8 TR yesterday in the rain. The rain sensor made the intermittent setting so annoying I was determined to solve the problem...... and came across this thread.

Disconnecting was simple once I'd split the

little securing clip.

It works!!

Good old fashioned manual intermittent wipers have returned. My wife couldn't be happier. The rain-sensor system was the only issue in an otherwise flawless motor car.

Why Toyota introduced rain sensors I'll never understand. Bet their regretting the auto-handbrake on the latest Avensis too.

It needs to be mentioned that disconnecting the rain sensor also disables the auto headlight system.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There is a downside if you have automatic headlights, On my T27 it stopped the automatic headlights working, the light sensor does several jobs. The automatic wipe mode is very random, I have found it will definitely work if it try to scrape ice off the windscreen

• 1 month later...

Hi I've recently bought a t reg 99 plate avensis

I've found that the front wipers don't work.

Has anyone got any suggestions?